How good is Amazon shipping vinyl?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by fungomatto, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There are Multiple fullfillment centers FILLED with low wage employees who are on the clock and no true skills or discernment what they are packing or doing.
    The overturn of employees is rediculous. So you cannot trust Ama-zong at all. They are an evil steamrolling corporation that only helps itself.
    BOYCOTT !@!!!!!!!

2. Boycott the steaming -S-H-**_T pile . #EZ-Solution.

3. Why don't you Blacklist them? They are the worst corporation on the planet. Don't wait for big daddy to scold you. BOYCOTT

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Why anyone would order a fragile object from Amazon and expect anything other than damage is beyond me. The orders on either side of your 200-gram repressing in the warehouse or on the delivery van could be a case of pineapple juice and a lawnmower battery.

Dave likes this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I ordered a record a couple of weeks ago now and had to return. It looked like the thing had been exposed to considerable heat. Not only was the record really badly warped...(like ive never seen before)....but the jacket was distorted and kind of ‘floppy’.

6. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Last record I received from Amazon.ca the LP was put into a record mailer and sealed which was then put into a 14x8x20 shipping box padded out. Overkill but it arrived perfect. Last 2 or 3 orders have been shipped like that.

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

It has become clear to me that Amazon no longer cares about items arriving in perfect shape. My recent purchases have just been thrown into a box and not secured.

So I have stopped buying from them unless they are my only option or if their price is just way lower. But most of the time I can find a good deal elsewhere. And I will pay a bit more just to not order from them. No excuse for this, when virtually everyone else can package things properly.

They can probably ship you ground coffee or some T-shirts without any damage, but anything else and the odds aren't good!

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I bought the new Rockin' Ramrods comp from Amazon. It came in a big box with no padding and bent corners. Go figure!

9. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

So I've heard those horror stories about Amazon simply slapping a shipping label onto a record and sending it out. It finally happened to me today. I was actually surprised the LP wasn't damaged worse than it was - a bent corner and a dent on top, that's it. And this was one of those flimsy dual sleeves. It's hard to believe anybody would think this is an acceptable way to ship anything out.

10. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

You now have to specifically request packaging, or they slap a shipping label on the album. If you do request Amazon packaging, they toss the album in an oversized box without any packing material. You should only order from them if you're OK with the sleeve being damaged. In other words, don't.

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Maybe they’ll start caring once they start getting constant returns and it hurts their bottom line. (Ha ha as if there were nothing but world domination for them already!). What was I thinking? Amazon can do what it wants.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You didn't know ? Once you've returned 10% of your lifetime purchases, they ban you. Been happening for several years now.

LitHum05 likes this.
  13. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Oh man, does this count even if the item is defective? Do you get a warning letter first?

Maybe I should reconsider purchasing that Schitt headphone amp that provably won’t sound any better than the headphone jack on my vintage Pioneer receiver.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

LitHum05 likes this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This isn't quite accurate. While there are no published numbers, 20% is closer to the mark. But they are looking for chronic returners.
    It is the unfortunate behavior of a monopoly that a lifetime ban can happen, but honestly you have to be returning a lot of stuff to get that warning email.

16. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I'm in the process of returning an album for the second time. I suspect the replacement will also be damaged. If this attempt fails, I'll likely just give up. I've already decided never to buy vinyl from Amazon again. I don't want to get "banned" for chasing after something that's pretty much impossible given their current packaging.

17. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I'm done with Amazon myself after greater than 50% of my received LPs defective in some way. Can I get a list of alternative retailers? I know Acoustic Sounds and B&N, but I know there are others that hopefully are vastly better than Amazon. I'm also worried about the return policy of other places because unfortunately, the vinyl press itself is garbage a lot. Thanks!

18. Zach_

Zach_ Forum Resident

I think this is the larger problem. I haven't had issues with Amazon's vinyl packaging, just the actual pressings. Fortunately, I buy enough other items from Amazon, that my vinyl returns won't cause any issues with my account.

19. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

I have ordered several records from Amazon UK in the last months and the experience has been generally good.

However, on the last order, King Crimson's in the court of the crimson king had the sleeve with some marks (like it was subjected to pressure), the record itself is flawless so I don't mind.

However, Grizzly Bear's Shields came with flawless (and beautiful) sleeves but the first LP is warped in a way I hadn't seen before. It sounds good, apparently, but the tonearm goes up and down. While the sound seems good I am afraid it will lead to excessive wear on the stylus.

Am I right to think this ?

If so, how do I request a replacement ? Straight through amazon through their website ? Has anyone got experiences to share ?

It seems like a hassle but I am worried the disk might cause damage. Or is it fine ?

20. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

lately them seemed to stop shipping in cardboard lp boxes and using padded envelopes like they do with cds. With cds a lot of times the cases are damaged.
    I've had to return two lps since last week because of this. I have two more coming today- we'll see how that turns out.
    [​IMG]

21. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

got two more lps delivered today from Amazon. each one was in a separate cardboard lp box and both placed inside another box with bubble paks,
    so I guess its either feast or famine from now on. Like a box of chocolates Forest. never know what your gonna get when they ship vinyl from now on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.