Jeopardy! Who is the GOAT?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daca, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know when they unlock but I guess the trick is to have a feel for when he's finishing the last word and press the button as quickly as possible. If you're used to Alex's cadence you can anticipate a bit.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Jennings and Rutter have adapted to Holzhauer's style, especially the aggressive betting on DDs, not following the columns of questions from top to bottom but selecting lower placed but higher value questions 'out of order', which is related to hunting for the DDs, rather than 'happening' upon them. All three players must have analyzed the odds as to where the DDs are most likely to be located and that dictates which questions they choose. The Jeopardy staff must realize this and most likely have tried to place the DDs where they might be more difficult to find - but they can only do so much. Rutter has an advantage in selecting the first DD in the Double Jeopardy round because he usually has the low score from the first Jeopardy round and therefore automatically has the first selection in the second round and if a player selects a DD clue that player has a monopoly at answering it.

I've noticed that Holzhauer has an almost unique method of holding the buzzer, which minimizes the effort and therefore the time it takes to buzz in.

I believe the contestants are not allowed to buzz in until Trebek is finished talking and a light in the studio goes on (something the viewer at home never sees). If you 'buzz' in prior to Trebek finishing the clue, that player's buzzer signal is blocked for a fraction of a second, which allows other players to 'buzz in' the meanwhile. Also, repeatedly rapid 'buzzing in' or clicking the buzzer when contestants are not eligible to 'buzz in' only delays the signal even more. Apparently the timing of 'buzzing in' is something both Holzhauer and Jennings have mastered. It's also quite possible that studying Trebek's speech cadence does indeed help a player to time the buzzer as Trebek is finishing reading the clue without relying on (and waiting that fraction of a second to react to) the light signal.

Here some analysis of the Double Jeopardy round's 'daily doubles'. (I was bored today. :))

Match 1, Game 1.
    First DD selected by Rutter, clue 1 selected. (Rutter was the low score in the Jeopardy round, and therefore got the first pick in the Double Jeopardy round.) (incorrect answer)
    Second DD selected by Jennings, clue 4 selected. (correct answer)
    The second answer was Holzhauer and the third was Jennings. All four clues selected by all three contestants were located in the same general area of the board - where statistically you would except the DDs.

Match 1, Game 2. .
    First DD selected by Rutter, clue 1 selected. (Rutter was the low score in the Jeopardy round, and therefore got the first pick in the Double Jeopardy round.) (incorrect answer)
    Second DD selected by Rutter, clue 7 selected. (incorrect answer)
    All of the clues selected from 2-6 were located in the same general area of the board - where statistically you would except the DDs.

Match 2, Game 1.
    First DD selected by Holzhauer, clue 11. (correct answer)
    Second DD selected by Jennings, clue 13. (correct answer)
    While both DD clues were located in the same general area of the board, where statistically you would except the DDs, it took a while for the players to find them.

Match 2, Game 2.
    First DD selected by Rutter, clue 1. (Rutter was the low score in the Jeopardy round, and therefore got the first pick in the Double Jeopardy round.) (Incorrect answer)
    Second DD selected by Holzhauer, clue 3. (correct answer)
    Both DD clues were located in the same general area of the board, where statistically you would except the DDs.

Match 3, Game 1.
    First DD selected by Rutter, clue 1. (Rutter was the low score in the Jeopardy round, and therefore got the first pick in the Double Jeopardy round.) (incorrect answer)
    Second DD selected by Jennings, clue 6. (correct answer)
    Both DD clues were located in the same general area of the board, where statistically you would except the DDs.

Match 3, Game 2.
    First DD selected by Rutter, clue 12. (correct answer)
    Second DD selected by Jennings, clue 14. (correct answer)

3. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

If this has been taped in advance, then...

Tuesday Ken wins.
    This is in prime time and other regular programs are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday at 8.

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Well, ****. Is it possible they put those up to avoid giving away the possible results - a Ken loss - in the fourth game?

5. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Yes, that's very possible too, but they've been advertising the other shows as "Returns Thursday!". Would they spend that ad $ then let those fans down?

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it is scheduled on my spectrum menu through next friday.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It most certainly will not be on Monday due to THE BACHELOR. Look for the tournament to resume on Tuesday, 8 Eastern.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

:biglaugh:

:righton:

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Pretty riveting television. Ken wants this thing BAD. They all do but watching Ken is a hoot. He's all in all the time.

Jack White likes this.
  10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Yes, Pat's daughter is a real looker.

Chris C likes this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've seen a lot of Celebrity Jeopardy episodes and I think the GOAT is obviously Sean Connery.

Regginold31, daca and Dorelda_Doremus like this.
  12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Jesus, what did that past woman, who evidently showed up unwantingly, say or do on "The Bachelor"? My wife and I were having dinner with another couple the other evening and I know that he has been "forced" to watch that ridiculous excuse of a reality TV show by his girlfriend and he literally went OFF on that chick on the show and whatever she said or did and he said that he would NEVER watch that show again! I know that he "tried" to explain what she did, but he honestly lost me at "I watched The Bachelor last night", LOL

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I like Jennings, I am impressed with the way he's adjusted his game and betting style, to combat Holzhauer. If and when the day finally comes, that Alex steps down, I'd like to see him get a shot as the new host. That said, I'm rooting for James to take the tournament. Like to see him rewarded for changing the strategies on this show.

McLover likes this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Replaying all 3 episodes tonight starting at 8 on ABC.

15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation Thread Starter

If I can paraphrase Dave Mason:

There is a good guy (Ken Jennings)
    There is a bad guy (brad rutter)
    Regarding this topic there’s only you and me
    And we just disagree

Do not read below. Marked as a spoiler, and you have ben warned.

Ken Jennings wins on Tuesday. Jennings will be announced as the replacement for Alex Trebek, whose current and 36th season, will be his last.

The Jeopardy! GOAT replaced by the Jeopardy! GOAT.

Coincidence? :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

In that scenario, I would guess that most people think of James Holzhauer (not Brad Rutter) as the "bad guy". :)

I don't think that speculation about Trebek's retirement and his replacement need to be hidden as a 'spoiler'. Of the former champions whose names have been thrown about as possible successors to Trebek I think Jennings is the most likely to succeed him - if the show runners decide that's the talent pool they're considering. Of former champions the names most often mentioned as contenders are Jennings, Rutter, Buzzy Cohen and Austin Rogers. Holzhauer is just not likable enough and is too awkward a stage presence; and to some degree I think he's a divisive figure to a significant number of Jeopardy fans.. Rogers while entertaining, is probably a little too kooky and not serious enough for the overall tenor of the show. Of the remaining three - to me, Rutter lacks a bit of 'stage presence' and is sometimes stiff in front of the camera. My guess is that Jennings is the sentimental favourite of most Jeopardy fans.

I don't think this championship tournament was scheduled to set up Trebek's successor. Last year's all star champion tournament did not include James Holzhauer because he was still an active player on the show. Since that time fans been speculating how great it would be to have a championship with those whom are perceived to be the three best players ever to see who is the "greatest". (Unfortunately, Rutter has turned out to be a disappointment.) To be blunt - I think this tournament was timed to happen while Trebek was not only still able to host it, but while he was still alive. In interviews, Trebek, while remaining outwardly optimistic about his medical condition and prognosis, has hinted about retirement from the show. It would not surprise me at all if this season turns out to be his last and that Jennings is named as the next host. I would be surprised if that announcement was made at the conclusion of the tournament.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

One thing about having a former champion take over as the host after Alex is that they wouldn't get to play anymore tournaments.

Let's say for argument's sake that Ken Jennings is the next host. Does that mean we'll never see him play again?

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if jennings wins tuesday, is the show still going to be on wed, thurs and fri?

19. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Is there a website that has statistics for the games? I'd like to see how many questions each player has answered correctly and incorrectly.

20. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I'm not sure where the notion came from that the next host of Jeopardy! should be a former contestant. It seems quite bizarre to me. However, if that does come to fruition, I will not be watching anymore if Buzzy or Austin happen to become the new host. Both are insufferable jackasses, and exactly the type of contestant I was referring to in an earlier post. Blech!

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Try these two websites. (I don't know if either has the stats you want. They do have all of the games archived and you can see the results.)

Recaps Archives – The Jeopardy! Fan

J! Archive

spanky1 likes this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think the notion just sprung from internet nerd chatter due to rumors of Jennings being the replacement for Alex.

I think Jennings is the only choice really. He's a fan favorite, and likeable for non-Jeopardy obsessives. If it's not him, I doubt they'd look any further at a previous contestant with no hosting experience.

905 likes this.
  23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

A couple of reasons why, I think. Buzzy Cohen has stated several times, including more than once during his different appearances on Jeopardy, only sometimes half-jokingly, that his ambition is to be Trebek's successor. That probably ignited some discussion amongst Jeopardy fans. Before Trebek's announcement about his health I'm guessing his age was a factor. The cancer announcement made Trebek's eventually retirement more 'sooner' than 'later'.

Note the emphasis on 'if" from a previous post of mine. " ... Of the former champions whose names have been thrown about as possible successors to Trebek I think Jennings is the most likely to succeed him - if the show runners decide that's the talent pool they're considering ..." I'm not completely certain that the producers of show will go for a former champion to succeed Trebek. This may be a trivial reason, but I think Jennings' drawback is his voice - it doesn't have that strong announcer's quality to it. (Although, I do think Jennings is the favourite.)

24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

See my earlier post about severe penalties if there was any fixing. I stand by that, and disagree with any comments that there is fixing.

I think that (for whatever reason), they wanted to grab onto Holzhauer's recent popularity, which then gave them 3 contestants, for a real game with humans (as opposed to Jennings and Rutter and the computer, which they did a few years ago). I don't think any of the other relatively recent big winning contestants would have pulled in the ratings the way Holzhauer does.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Funny thing is if Jennings did replace Trebek he'd probably know a ton of the answers just because he does. Trebek reads answers off the answers to people that get them wrong like he does, but it's because they're right in front of his face. I like Trebek but he can be a bit of stuffed shirt sometimes. I think he's relaxed a bit, though, since his diagnosis. He used to come off as somewhat pompous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.