Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Yes, even my local indie stores do this. I've seen some pretty large sections of RSD stuff from years past being blown out recently.

hutlock and superstar19 like this.
  2. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Went to my local store to check on a warehouse order a
    Went in to my local store to check on my Golden Smog-"Weird Tales" warehouse order and it had been cancelled. The clerk re-ordered and said that there were 50 copies available and probably the warehouse guys were just "lazy" to fill the order. So, we'll see if it comes this time.

superstar19 and Jspmike like this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

Easy as pie with a right, good employee!
    Picked up Pretenders "Alone" which I wanted and the mono Tim Buckley which I am curious about. Then wemt to a clerk associate for a few titles the store didn"t have. There he looked up on the computer my requested titles and took my payment for the LPs Humam Touch and Lucky Town at 50% off, free standard home shipping.
    Wonderful record buying experience. Will pay in-store for more records soon.

Would be awesome to see a master list of all the titles!

superstar19 and Jspmike like this.
  4. davers

davers Forum Resident

Wouldn't that vary store-by-store? I'm assuming the sale reflects titles that the individual store hasn't sold in the past year.

5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Perhaps the LP in question was mistakenly shipped to BN instead of Walmart by the supplier..who knows. Not a very big deal. Perhaps there is a BN colored vinyl version of this album?
    As far as Walmart vinyl is concerned the Fleetwood Mac Tusk silver version I bought last night (at my Walmart) is a very quiet Optimal that is the same reissue being sold in the EU. So sometimes you can snag very good LPs at Walmart...just take your Discogs app and look for that Made in The EU on the jacket. If it is not a GZ Media record then I might buy one.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  6. fmfxray373

The first day of the sale they were honoring the membership discount of an additional 10 percent off but when I bought an album two days ago the clerk said that the membership discount was not going to apply to the 50 percent off.
    As far as the 15% or 20% coupons go (I got a 20% one in my email yesterday) the clerk will usually scan the coupon when you purchase the record...it will either apply or won't so no harm no foul. A lot of times the item will be considered on sale if the scanned price is less than the sticker price, even if there is no "on sale" sticker on the item. Sometimes they won't add a coupon discount for an item "on sale". The weird exception are the stickers that have a discounted sale price and then under that it says "Members get an additional 10 percent off." They have a lot of cds with those stickers but not any LPs from my experience.

BN sales policy is sort of arcane, like the old British shillings and crowns money hierarchy.
    Or does that still exist?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    superstar19, captouch and dee like this.
  7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thats correct. Each store should have its own “master list” rather than there being just one for the whole chain.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

It may not be all-inclusive but fwiw I have made the rounds to 4 different well-stocked stores in the area that have many of the same sales titles but also titles in and of themselves in stock only at their store and on sale. Jspmike's lists that he posted have been helpful guides. If the store can't get it at 50% the employee should tell you. It would still be very helpful if there was a more all-encompassing list. It must emanate from somewhere bigger than just each store?
    There are records I wouldn't have known about if not seeing Mike's list.

coolcreek, black sheriff and Jspmike like this.
  9. fmfxray373

^
    I meant that sometimes they won't honor a coupon on an item considered on sale. They usually honor the 10% on a sale item. It is just weird when an item is on sale but has the regular price on it lol.

10. davers

davers Forum Resident

Indeed, I've also seen a lot of common titles between stores. That said I've seen some mentioned here that weren't on sale at my local, presumably based on the sales history.

dee likes this.
  11. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

If your order gets cancelled again I would suggest going back into the store and ask them to check which stores in the USA have the Golden Smog album. Ask them to call the store and "manifest" the album to their store. I have been doing this for customers at the Barnes & Noble that I work at for the last couple of weeks.

superstar19 likes this.
  12. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

It will vary by store, but there was a helpful list posted on this thread (thanks Jspmike!) and also here:

Barnes & Noble Vinyl Master List

One I found that i didn't see on any list was Norah Jones - ...Featuring

Jspmike and dee like this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But haven’t some folks posted that they picked up the new Leonard Cohen (released two months ago) in these 50% off bins? I thought I remembered that ... so there must be some exceptions, yeah?

Edit: yeah, here’s one ...
    Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The exceptions are likely mid-marked items. I’ve bought 2 or 3 of those.

hutlock likes this.
  15. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Seems to be hit and miss from store to store, including what is out and marked down. For example, their exclusive edition of NEW -- which is obviously more than a year old -- has been almost evenly split as far as being marked down or not.

(A SHMF bonus tonight was a young employee pointed me towards the "vinyls" and imagining how many posters would have been tempted to correct her)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  16. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Looks like the doc has gone blank

17. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

In my computer at work the latest Leonard Cohen album is listed as full price. I'm wondering if somebody stickered incorrectly?

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

If so, it happened at more than one store (?)...

19. fmfxray373

Both the Beck and Cohen new releases were 50% off the first day or so.
    Maybe a mistake they fixed or newly stocked replacements were not put on sale.

20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Guero is available to order from the warehouse, shipped free to your local B & N, for pickup at 50% off. Mutations out Of Stock at warehouse. Didn't ask about Sea Change, Morning Phase, and others.

21. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I went to several stores looking for the Cohen on sale and none of them had it at 50% off. That would have been an exception since there aren't any other new releases in the sale. I'm guessing individual stores might have done it mistakenly. (Yes, I know with the gas I spent going from store to store, I could have bought it at full price, probably.)

Jspmike and superstar19 like this.
  22. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I looked at Beck today and his new album isn’t listed in our store computer as being in the sale. I’m only going from memory so I could be mistaken but I think Sea Change, Midnight Vultures And Colors could also be in the sale. I also noticed there are more Pearl Jam (riot act, binaural, yield) and Bruce Springsteen (greetings, the river). I would have to double check on that.

I ordered Genesis’s Lamb lies down on Broadway vinyl for a customer today which is on sale. This sale is addictive!

DLD, dee and slashdot87 like this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

Seen 2-4 Beck titles on sale at the stores I've visited.

black sheriff and Jspmike like this.
  24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yes. I picked up Mutations, Odelay and Sea Change when the sale first hit. I was lucky.

Jspmike, dee and DLD like this.
  25. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I bought Leonard Cohen's "Popular Problems". The good news: It comes with a CD. The bad news: my pressing is rife with non-fill which is particularly jarring when the music is sparse.

Jspmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.