New Netflix series “Messiah”

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

binged this show. It’s very well done but very much a slow burn. There have been some protests associated with the show.

I do feel that the series has its flaws but it’s a well made and poses interesting questions.

I quite enjoyed the series.

kanakaris and Daedalus like this.
  2. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

Cheers, I just saw the trailer and it looked interesting. I’ve got two more episodes of Stranger Things to go then I’ll give it a try.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

I'm in the middle of episode three right now.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

In the middle of episode six now.

So far I liked the first two episodes but the rest seems to have lost it's steam already, I have no idea how they'll make it climax into episode ten at all.

5. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Watched the whole thing in 3 days. Thought it was excellent.

6. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

It was pretty good. They'll obviously be a 2nd season.

Michael likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I enjoyed the show very much. Just when you think you've figured things out, they throw you a curve ball and spin the plot into another direction. I particularly enjoyed it when the CIA agent sat down with Fake Jesus and told him everything they'd discovered about his past and his life, and his beatific smile falls pretty quickly.

The final episode <without giving away any spoilers> took the show in an unexpected direction, but there are some extenuating circumstances where what we saw may not have actually been what happened. I can't reveal more, but let's just say it's a fascinating show as far as how objective and real they dramatized what could happen if a man appeared on Earth claiming to be the new messiah, and performed what seemed to be miracles.

I won't say any more except to comment that I'm impressed with how well they covered both sides of the argument. I think devout viewers will convince themselves that they're right and this is the guy, while skeptics like me will be convinced we're right and the guy's just a very clever con artist. It's a well-done show, worth watching.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

on eppy 5...

9. Michael

and having to wait another year blows....hopefully it will be continued!

10. Michael

we bailed and decided to continue...it's interesting....but we felt a weak beginning...

11. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I finished watching, it was good, not great, but intriguing. We’ll see where they go with it

12. Jimmy Disco D

I thought it was pretty good overall, well made with some interesting ideas.

I just hope that they don’t drag the “is he / isn’t he” angle on for too long if it they make more seasons. I like a proper conclusion.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

yea me too...I'm in that corner as well. : )

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Interesting show. The lead was perfectly cast. The narrative though did drag quite a bit and the whole detached Messiah bit kind of got old over time. The ending seemed to go in a supernatural direction which was kind of unexpected and disappointing (if that's actually what's going on...). Good overall.

15. Jimmy Disco D

I was/am hoping for the supernatural direction, he seemed to be hinting at some sort of end-times which would make for a more interesting story than the CIA attempting to expose a hoaxter (in my opinion). As long as they did it better than that Seth Rogen film of course.

16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I finished this. Interesting dichotomy set up -is he the real messiah or some sort of very dangerous ideological Trojan horse? There seem to be plot signals in both directions and the ending of season 1- very interesting( but what about the cancer stricken young girl?) The geo-political plays, the associations, the medical history. But then again-how would a person claiming to speak for God be treated and greeted. And why speak now. Why this particular person. This show tells us so much about our current problems, suspicions, distrust, competitiveness, lack of tolerance, desperation to triumph and all that flows from these things. The ultimate question-is faith possible in a world of cynicism. Is faith really a delusion and cynicism the natural rational order of human reality ? Cool show.

marmalade166 likes this.
  17. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Who plays Kanye?

18. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Great lead, from Belgium.
    Amazing show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.