Book(s) About the Late 60s, Hippies and How it Ended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony F., Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony F.

Tony F. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm looking for some recommendations. I get into these modes where I really saturate myself with late 60s rock, the whole Lauren Canyon scene, etc. I'm 44 so I was not alive when all this went down. While I am ultra familiar with the music I'd like to read some literature on the whole scene. Specifically concentrating on the music but also how the whole hippie movement came... and went... and why. I know everyone cites things like Altamont, the assassinations, etc. But that's too easy. Anyway, I've been looking for stuff on Amazon but I figure you all would know better than anyone else.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Chris M, jeffreybh and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

You Never Give Me Your Money about the breakup of the Beatles should be considered essential reading.

The recent Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young biography by the same author as the above book (Peter Doggett) is great as well. He also has a book called There's A Riot Going On that directly is about '65-'71 and the end of the counterculture of the 60's which may interest you.

https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/12211820

3. Tony F.

Thanks so much! The last book you mentioned is more of what I had in mind. I may check that out. I didn't really want to focus on one band as much as the entire scene.

4. drift

drift Forum Resident

Not a book, but have you seen last year's Echo in the Canyon? It sounds pretty up your alley. I believe it's on Netflix.

5. Tony F.

Well it didn't take you long to sniff me out. "Echo in the Canyon" is what STARTED this most recent nose-dive into all things late 60s. I just saw it last week, haha. Thanks for the suggestion, though! You totally get where I'm going with this.

drift likes this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    I'd recommend this one, as the title suggests it's the L.A. scene but it's very well written and researched.

7. drift

drift Forum Resident

Cool! Thanks for starting this thread. I love music books and I'll definitely be ordering some recommendations from here.

Tony F. likes this.
  8. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

9. Tony F.

Much appreciated, @ralphb ! I saw this one on Amazon a few times on my search. I don't always trust Amazon reviews so I figured I'd defer to the people here. So far, so good!

Paul Gase and ralphb like this.
  10. Tony F.

Yup! Thank you! I've read that one, though. It's definitely a trip!

11. ralphb

It really doesn't get into the end of the sixties dream, but it's essential reading to find out about how it all got started in L.A.. The section on Love is excellent.
    I'd also pick Stanley Booth's "Dance With The Devil:". Yes, it's about the Stones and Altamont, but the end of the dream is obvious in this very well written book, one of the best ever about rock'n'roll in my opinion.

nbadge, eddiel, Jonny W and 2 others like this.
  12. Tony F.

Thanks a lot, man. I'm a huge Stones fan so I have no problem with books focusing on them. I guess so further sum up what I'm looking for, it's this...

The 60s, particularly the mid to late 60s, were just such an impactful time in history. I mean, the music, the politics, the ideas, etc. I find it incredibly interesting. I want to know how we arrived there and why we had to depart so fast. It's just so intriguing. It did seem like a Bohemia that couldn't last, I guess. But just the whole evolution of the thing is really amazing to study.

That's where I'm coning from.

13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Stone Turntable and Tony F. like this.
  14. Brian Doherty

Tony F. likes this.
  15. Tony F.

16. Brian Doherty

jamesmaya and Tony F. like this.
  17. I wish the books mentioned above were available electronically! Rant over.

Sean and Tony F. like this.
  18. Tony F.

Ah! That one seems very cool as well! And for $4... probably can't be beat. After all, I could go to Starbucks right now and spend more on a cup of coffee. My how things have changed!

2141 likes this.
  19. Brian Doherty

Tony F. likes this.
  20. Brian Doherty

Just so you know, all of these are books I have read, many in the past couple of years, and while not 100 percent all about your topic they all illuminate it....give a look at Ed Sanders of The Fugs memoir FUG YOU https://www.amazon.com/Fug-You-Info...fug+you+sanders&qid=1578948020&s=books&sr=1-1

[I am myself writing a book this year in which this question/area of inquiry is relevant though not ABOUT "death of the sixties dream" specifically]

Klassik and Tony F. like this.
  21. Brian Doherty

Another one, close-focused on the rise and fall of "back to the land communal living" in 60s-70s (most of narrative is 70s but its definitely a sixties counterculture hangover story), WE ARE AS GODS by Kate Deloz. I reviewed this one in my IRL job: American Communism

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Tony F. likes this.
  22. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Music From Big Pink by John Niven

rikki nadir and Tony F. like this.
  23. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry.

kevimetal, zongo, steviebee and 5 others like this.
  24. ralphb

Also, Joan Didion's collection "Slouching Towards Bethlehem". The title piece is the only one that hits on the era you're talking about, but it's truly frightening. Written in 1967 for The Saturday Evening Post after spending time in Haight-Ashbury, she anticipates the disintegration of it all.
    There are also several pieces in her collection "The White Album" that hit the sweet spot your looking for.

SGR, Beamish13, bonus and 6 others like this.
  25. Tony F.

These are all GREAT suggestions! You all are going to make Amazon very happy, as if they weren't already. I figured there had to be a wealth of information on this subject which is why it can be hard to sift through the ones that aren't all that good. I appreciate the personal recommendations very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.