Second Spin (used disc seller)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mike-48, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

There's an thread about this seller, about four years ago,

Second Spin Quality Control for Used Items (online sales)

that was none too positive. I wonder if anyone would like to comment on quality of merchandise received from SecondSpin recently. It seems one might save a dollar or two per disc compared to Amazon, but my concern is quality of customer service if something won't rip error-free.

I notice they simultaneously disclaim any warranties and also promise to take care of any problems.

Hearing about any experiences (positive or negative) will be appreciated!

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Its a crap shoot basically. You can get lucky and get something in good shape, but I have gotten some cat toys and even wrong discs sent to me. I still buy from them but only the real cheap stuff than I can basically toss in the trash if it is not what I expected. They do have some good coupons every once in a while.

ispace, Mike-48 and lightbulb like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Warning to all who consider ordering from Second Spin!
    From my prior experience ordering used CDs from Second Spin, they lack any QC standards regarding disc, booklet/artwork condition, digipak condition, etc

On two separate occasions I received a classical music CD that obviously did not belong with the rock music I ordered.”

“I had posted my warning in the Coupons etc thread, awhile back.
    I would only order from them if "desperate" with few options (if the item is really inexpensive compared to other sites, or very hard to find, or I feel mentally unstable coinciding with a 50% sale)

My guess their current business model is "just sell all they crap we have, seal it so the customer won't notice right away, sticker it because no one cares about the paper packaging nowadays, and maybe they won't care or too busy to complain". Jettison the customers that dispute - we don't need them anyways"

Moldy damp :faint:
    Lightbulb
    4/12/15

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

My apologies... my above comments are just rehashed petty complaints ...from years ago.

I’m optimistic that Second Spin has since turned around their business model and processes; changed their ways, and all their customers are now 110% completely satisfied !!!
    ;)

5. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

I use them quite a bit. It is a bit of a lottery but 90%+ of their product is fine (if you are not *very* fussy about condition). They have a no quibble refund policy for anything you are not happy with.

Best success was 19 albums with sleeves (no jewel cases) posted to Ireland for $27 all in. It is worth looking out for the various deals such as 30% off everything for Labor Day.

Mr. LP Collector and Mike-48 like this.
  6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Unfortunately their coupons now usually exclude items below $1.99. I used to clear their stock with those 30% off and free shipping coupons.

Xabby and Mike-48 like this.
  7. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Use them all the time. Their packing is lousy and I usually get several broken cases for my trouble. My latest shipment had a disc with adhesive on the top side, and it's pretty much ruined. Still, prices are unbeatable when they have 30% and free shipping. I was getting discs as cheap as 88 cents until they changed their policy.

Mr. LP Collector and Mike-48 like this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This is timeless advice no matter what you're purchasing or from where : Buyer beware !

lightbulb, patient_ot and Mike-48 like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Haven't bought anything from them in years. Inconsistency was the problem. I would only give them a shot if it's something you need that isn't available anywhere else, like a HTF, OOP disc. I'm guessing they are a high volume operation that buys used CDs in bulk pallets, scans barcodes for listing, and doesn't even check the condition but rather lists 90% of their stuff as "very good" or whatever.

Loads of these types of sellers out there as record stores (whether B&M or online) have reduced or eliminated their stock of CDs. I usually avoid buying from them and prefer private sellers that have taken care of their stuff and have a reputation for decent CD grading.

A big clue that you're dealing with a bulk seller is to find their eBay account and read the actual feedback comments. It is possible for these sellers to have 99%+ feedback ratings but loads of negative feedback. They simply don't care. Then when you read the actual comments most of it centers around poor grading, receiving the wrong item, or not receiving anything at all.

lightbulb, Jimmy B. and Mike-48 like this.
  10. Second Spin is THE WORST. They can't even get inventory right. I hope they go out of business.

Rodz42, lightbulb and patient_ot like this.
  11. ispace

ispace Senior Member

If you don’t care about condition then they are worth checking out. About 70% of discs I get would be rated VG or below (ie. scuffed &/or scratched). Occasionally the wrong disc is included (I agree with the previous poster that they likely don’t check any of their stock). So I recommend them only for very cheap items to fill holes in your collection. Don’t waste your time buying expensive items from them, as they don’t seem to check their condition either.

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

At one time they would take anything you brought in. The sharps used like 6 sellers mixing the duffers with commons and made a killing. They finally figured out their data base to buy was taking in thousands of unknown duffers.....horrible soundtracks etc.. You'd get $1-$3 for stuff you'd get for way under 50 cents. It was like printing money or a slot machine not losing. I'd buy tons of pound sale CD's and parking lot CD's in the 90's in Los Angeles and would say "now I'm taking trade, no cash". It was great. The stores I shopped and traded (Vegas, Boulder, Denver) are all gone. They eventually went cheap on their buys, and took none of the duffers, plus refused stamped promos so it became hopeless. Great prices in their racks. I've heard they are a scuffed and scratched mail order mess now. I wonder if they still have stores.

Rodz42 and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  13. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Best post on this thread!:)

I did the same thing back in the day, but keep in mind I'm talking late 90's/early 2000's. For ho hum obscure title cd's they would pay one to two dollars, then like Chee said, they had so much inventory they had to start watching what they were doing. Their store on Colorado Blvd. in Denver was monstrous. They also had one in Littleton, a suburb of Denver. And of course Vegas and L.A. (Sherman Oaks?) They hesitated about leaving Denver, they actually were doing ok, but a huge rent increase (huge) is why they said 'we're outahere' and moved all their stuff to the warehouse in Kentucky(?) Like Chee, I buy when the discounts are going on. Just recently they had several hundred cd's marked down from 50 to 80 per cent PLUS an extra discount like say "buy 3, get the 4th free" or 20 percent off everything in the store. You would get a markdown cd at half off or better plus an extra discount on their e-mail messages. I dropped $44 on 18 cd's, lots of vintage Jazz (Chet Baker, Ben Webster, Ellington, Ella, L. Armstrong, Stan Getz,) and more.

NOW with me-one out of every 7-8 cd's come in with surface marks but I know a guy who has a buffer and they play great. I generally replace the cases that are dinged. With me, they have treated me well when I had a complaint. They would credit me right away, then again, I've spent coin with them and they also know I was a long time customer at their Denver store. I am aware of other peoples complaints, I know a few who have gotten cd's that were iffy shape, and also wrong cd's. But I stay with them. With Amazon, I have a laundry list of people I won't buy from because of iffy condition and at $4 shipping each, I won't waste my time anymore--just certain people. With Spin, their postage is $4-period, whether it's 3 or 33 cd's. I like that!:righton:

Rodz42 and manicpopthrill like this.
  14. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

I second this! I used to rape them blind the same way you did! I even bought myself an Armani suit with all the crap they paid 3 bucks for. Trips to Denver and Vegas all paid for with S Spin selling profits at their Denver and Boulder shops. And their bargin bins were filled with good 20$ OOP ebay titles. It was great! It all came to an end when the LA stores showed up and they got wise because all of the employees from the labels deluged them with **** and they had to change their ways or go under.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  15. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Yup Sherman oaks, and another in costa mesa and santa monica. Also one in the Denver suburb of Arvada, I hit em all hard!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  16. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

When they were Famous, it was even better. They had corrupt employees that pulled some $5 titles out to fatten their hourly wage sometimes. I guess they are storing them like Fort Knox for the all knowing wizard telling them to reopen the stores, they've come back. One time I needed some detergent for a suds run nearby so,I dropped them some CD's. Detergents-yes. I did feel sorry for them when the real brokesters brought in hundreds of duffers to make $23, usually out of state guys needing gas money. Tied up the staff. Their selling selection was great even to the end. At one time they were paying $5 for Abbey Road a ,nd Pepper and AC/DC titles. Hastings paying 50 cents for any record you brought in to start a used record section in each store was pretty funny, they got buried. I missed out on that one.

Rodz42 likes this.
  17. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

yes, they were better when they were Famous. I believe that was before Trans World bought them

18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

When the guy that bought Hasting tried to prop up a dam with building water ready to explode, he had no idea that 75% of his stock was duffers with no return to 1993 days. I liked the Famous on Tropicana in Vegas, free gambling money. The ones I shouldn't have never brought in were rap CD's...even the "worst" ones went in demand overseas....even duffers like unsellable metal like Quiet Riot III and bad metal bands. 50 cents to $2 was okay. 50 cents to $3-$6 was printing money. Some California bozos came through with the hundreds of duffers and they figured it out.

Rodz42 likes this.
  19. ispace

ispace Senior Member

And this is why we can’t have nice things (like used CD stores that have genuinely good deals), because people always try to take advantage of them.

Jack_Straw and Spitfire like this.
  20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You want to see "take advantage of"? Bring CD's or records into a used record store in 2020. They'll size you up then offer peanuts to the certain people and a little better than peanuts to the informed (eBay completed or try again on the $1 per CD credit). Used CD stores? Where? Indoor flea markets? Bookman's is a great chain. Take the credit.

21. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I'm a pretty regular customer of SecondSpin, as others have said they can be a decent proposition when they have sales going on.
    About 20% of the time I have problems with orders but they have always replaced or refunded (store credit) when I've brought it to their attention.
    Most common issues are:
    • Damaged discs - quality control is non-existant - Some discs look like they've been face up on an ice-rink.
    • Damaged/missing/incomplete artwork - I had 3 copies of David Gilmour's Rattle that lock with single pages from the CD booklet!
    • Incomplete double CDs or box sets.- After 4 different shipments, I gave up trying to get a complete copy of "Tommy"
    I suspect that they are hurting as their website is going down the tubes:
    • They no longer provide track listings.
    • Frequently they don't even link cover art - now just using generic pictures.
    • They used to have music previews in the listings - hear befor you buy - not any more.
    When searching you now have to cross check UPC Nos with Discogs to be sure you're buying what you want.
    I seriously doubt they'll be in business by the end of the year.

22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You can picture what they have doing the orders...if it is like the late in the game retail employees.....you can count '20 the last year.

23. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

if they don't know what they're doing that's on them. I would do the same thing today. Made a lot of money in that store :)

24. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I noticed, today, that the majority of items available in my 'Personal Favorites' have disappeared.

As an example, under CDs, I normally see about 50 items, since I have some artists listed, and it will show anything available from them. When I checked, today, it was only showing 3 items.

I'm wondering if they are having a database issue, as all the categories I'm set to watch still exist when I edit my favorites. It would seem highly unlikely that they suddenly sold all those items that were listed, yesterday.

Anyone else seeing the same?

25. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Yes, currently down to 74 artists, when I should be seeing over 800.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.