Binge film watching and Extreme Film Criticism

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Very interesting article. I am not a film critic by any means but have been keeping an almost daily film diary for a couple of years now and even at my rudimentary level, I think Binge watching can potentially deaden the experience of observation and illumination just because everything starts to run together after a while. I think the Binge experience itself is a great subject because it naturally lends itself to highly personal Gonzo-type reporting and the humor that comes from extreme circumstance, but for me, I do better making logical leaps, connections and observations if I absorb things more slowly. I recently watched the Angel trilogy over the course of three nights and, as ridiculous as it is, I enjoyed all three movies a lot more than if I had tried to cram them all into one night's viewing as I have in the past. Maybe it's just because I am getting older, but with attention spans growing shorter than ever, sitting through all the Marvel movies at once seems more like a stunt than a vehicle for thoughtful film criticism. Just my perception though.

John B Good likes this.
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

These days I'm watching one episode of The Twilight Zone per evening :)

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What's playing tonight? And what was last night's episode? And I'm always curious to know if Rod Serling is holding a cigarette in his intro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.