Do you prefer tidy room to messy one with better sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got two 18 inch Scaena sealed subwoofer(120lb each , Kevlar/Carbon composite cones) last Friday.

But delivery man dropped the package in my garage.
    My neighbor helped me to move 120 lb subwoofers to my third floor listening room on Sunday.

It is fun with subass rumble to real 16hz in the background.

The subwoofers work with my Lansche 4.1 speaker like magic with clean and deep bass and enormous dynamics and wider deeper soundstage.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VjN1SHRiUWYxUGd0dk5qWTVQOEJNNXdMaEZ0RGZB

My listening room used to be tidy about 18 months ago

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=VjN1SHRiUWYxUGd0dk5qWTVQOEJNNXdMaEZ0RGZB

But now it is a mess with several isolation transformers and cable for Sr1a headphone.

Even with such mess, I enjoy the sound of my 2 channel system and Sr1a, Stax 009s headphones.

How about other audiophiles?

Do you prefer tidy room to messy room with better sound?

Tim 2 and CrazyCatz like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

You post the question assuming a room must be messy to get better sound. I say, clean that tangled mess of wires up and get back to us on whether or not the sound degraded. I don't think it will.

3. thomaskong

There are three reasons that I got tangled wires.

First, I had added four isolation transformers which made sound more refined and detailed.

Second, I had ended up using three parallel lines of IC and Speaker cables which also improved SQ lot.

Third I ended up using Hugo Mscaler to Chord Dave Dac which also require double BNC digital cables.

Now overall system looks messy with tangled wire,

But if you close your eyes, it sound much more detailed , dynamic and refined than tidy system 18 months ago.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

If you can get it messy enough, you could be a famous audiophile reviewer.

5. thomaskong

Ha Ha

Some Stereophile reviewer are listening in small room full of gadgets.

Fruff76 likes this.
  6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Considering I've always had my stereo in my living room, tidy.

BruceS likes this.
  7. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I'd prefer to apply aesthetically pleasing room treatments to diffuse and absorb unwanted to reflections as opposed to using clutter to provide an engineered solution.

jfine, mreeter, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
  8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My wife actually came to me the other day and said "What if I got my books and stuff out of the (unused) formal living room so you could turn it into a listening room and have all your setups out and connected instead of all over the house?" That room now is just a collector of crap. I have multiple sets of speakers as well as a rack full of unused gear. I also have unused gear in the dining room and office. She has books and excercise stuff and other stuff in there.

As tempting as it is, it's a terrible room layout for a listening room, but as she is willing to give it to me as a dedicated man cave. It's pretty hard to turn down.

9. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Some people enjoy the mad scientist vibe—lab coats, gamma ray sun glasses, flux capacitors, wires everywhere, glowing tubes, incomprehensible gadgets and notebooks strewn about. Others enjoy hanging expensive guitars they can’t play all over their walls. Or hiring interior decorators and giving them a blank checkbook. Or “staging” rooms for photos designed to impress forum members they will never meet. Or getting along with their wives.

I say do whatever brings you joy and doesn’t take advantage of others.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This hobby has a unique ability to appeal to those that are more that a little obsessive and compulsive. Cleaning and filing records for example is a wonderland for those types. Like wise we get the “I think I may have heard something that isn’t perfect and it’s ruining my fun” guys. So naturally a clean room is going to be a big deal for many people.

I employe all of these compulsions in a limited fashion. When I’m listening to music I try to be present and engaged rather than thinking about what I should be cleaning. But as a general rule I like to get my work done and keep organized.

head_unit, James Bennett and Tim 2 like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Gimme a tidy room over a messy one anyday. I'll make it sound good.

12. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

I had a “media room” before my daughter returned from the west coast to live in my basement for 18 months. Since she’s been gone my wife has taken it over and I’ve been forced to move into the back half of a 9x16 room that houses a treadmill and spinbike. So basically my listening area is now 9x8. Fairly neat but tiny.

13. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I feel that wiring is meant to be heard and not seen so there's no clutter here.

mreeter likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think on some level it's human nature to prefer being in a clean space then a messy one. I'm guessing I'd have preferred the neater system without the subwoofers and tweaks, but I don't live there, so...

head_unit likes this.
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If this room is as bad as you say, then be ready to try some speaker placements in some locations where you would prefer that they not be. I have small, and slightly-oddly shaped listening room. And the only speaker placement which sounds remotely decent in my room was my very last choice from an organizational perspective.

BayouTiger likes this.
  16. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Prefer it Tidy.. but at the moment it's a Pig Sty tbh.. working on it though..

[​IMG]

Kinda decided on Setup for now..time to tidy and decorate..

head_unit, Manimal and timind like this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

Sounds like a project you need to tackle.

Go Tigers!!!

Manimal, BayouTiger and CrazyCatz like this.
  18. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Still have bells hangin' around?

19. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I prefer tidy and good sounding room. ;)

Anyway, glad you enjoy the subs. Do you do crossover at all? If so, at what freq?

mreeter likes this.
  20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Tidy, thanks.

audiomixer likes this.
  21. With age comes clutter, at least for me it does.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

As long as there are lots of windows, bare floors and a slop sink, I'm good.

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

No reason you can't have a tidy room with all that gear in it, it's just a bit more work. After a time you learn how to dress cables etc for a pro look.

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Neat, tidy – even stylish – rooms would be a nice change of pace around here.

Maybe someday.

Naaahhhhhhhh...

timind likes this.
  25. thomaskong

I use Lyngdorf 2170 digital crossover. Main speaker form 36 hz up, subwoofer 45 hz down.

pdxway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.