Films that never materialized?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

guy incognito likes this.
  2. music4life

music4life Senior Member

At some point during the late 80's Edward James Olmos was talking about a bio pic about the late Jim Croce. He said he was going to direct and star in it, but nothing came of it.
    It could've been when "La Bamba" had been successful.

3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Wasn't there talk of Army of Darkness 2?

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Around 1968/70, Ian Holm was contacted by Stanley Kubrick ana asked to meet him at his Hertfordshire estate to discuss a new film project. It was to be major biopic of Napoleon. Having seen Holm play Richard lll at Stratford on Avon, Kubrick felt he would be the perfect actor to play Buonaparte.

The two had extensive meetings over a time period that stretched over a couple of years and Holm took horse-riding lessons on teh understanding that finance for the film was nearly there. He also read several biographies of the French Empeor.

Then, one day, he saw a notice in the trade papers that Kubrick was planning ‘a new film aboutt Napoloeon’, in which another actor would play the name part. He never heard from Kubrick again.

The film was never made.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Blood Meridan, based on the book by Cormac McCarthy. Pretty brutal read. It has been kicked around as a project, but none went very far to my knowledge. I know James Franco was talking about it a while ago. Heavy ****, really violent and disturbing.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

7. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

David Lean's version of Jospeh Conrad's "Nostromo" - one of the greatest ever novels - could have been amazing - he'd been working on it for years with some brilliant collaborators - Robert Bolt and Christopher Hampton had worked on script ideas with him and John Box came up with amazing designs, Alex Thompson was going to film it in 70mm and anintriguing cast was assembled, byt Lean died just before shooting was due to start.

Stone Turntable and Siegmund like this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

From what I recall in reading about this, the other actor to portray Napoleon was Jack Nicholson. That whole scenario you have described sounds like typical Kubrick behavior.

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I always wondered what it would look like...would've made no country for old men look like a sitcom.....I think John Lithgow would've been a great judge

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Didn't Jesse L. Martin leave Law and Order to star in a proposed Marvin Gaye film?

11. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Kubrick was also read to shoot the movie with David Hemmings and Audrey Hepburn at one point. Nicholson's name always gets bandied about a lot as the most famous male considered, but there was also a French or Swiss actor Kubrick was really keen on for the role. I'll need to check my book about the project to remind myself of who it was.

12. Sounds like Stanley.

13. Ridley Scott projects

Dune - Ridley Scott walked away from the project and, instead, took on Blade Runner instead.
    Tristan and Isolde
    The Train
    I Am Legend with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    The Forever War.

14. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Funny how a Cobain appeared on "Velvet Goldmine" :)

[​IMG]

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Robert Altman planned to make a silent film in 1971:

[​IMG]

La Belle Epoch was never made, with or without dialogue. The Presbyterian Church Wager had its title changed to McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

More Nirvana than pop.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The film was based on an article in Kicks by Miriam Lina. The producers borrowed all the Fuller family's memorabilia and trashed it when the film fell through. There's people still not on speaking terms over it.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Confederacy of Dunces

Fletch Won

19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

There could have been so many spin offs of the movie, during its peak it was fun. The TV show has lost some of the brilliance of the original.

unclefred likes this.
  20. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Hans And Franz Go To Hollywood"

21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Martin Scorsese's biopics of:

George Gershwin

Dean Martin

Frank Sinatra

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Ken Russell's film about Gershwin starring Neil Diamond.

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Silence of Dean Maitland. An 80's film starring Kylie Minogue.

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The Lamb, which was supposed to be the faux biopic about fictional singer Chris Gaines (played by Garth Brooks), was never made after its 1999 "pre-soundtrack" album was met with reactions ranging from confusion to disdain.

Lownote30 and guy incognito like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.