Beatles BC13. I have awoken from Golden slumber

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stusaff, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stusaff

Stusaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good afternoon all.

Based on the excellent advice of forum members I have sourced some great sounding pressings of Beatles stereo albums (Die Beatles, Horzu MMT) and finally BC13 (The blue box)
    There have been many threads on this, but this one is slightly different, and I also realise that what I will write may be slightly contentious!
    So as background, I have been collecting Beatles vinyl LPs for 30+ years, I’m lucky to have sourced mint first pressings (mono & stereo) of all the albums apart from the ultra wallet busting first press (or second press) stereo PPM, but I have all the others, I have all the EMI one box, and two box “Gramaphone rim” pressings as well
    Now for the point, over the last week or so I have been playing the BC13 (1978-81 pressing) EMI rim text, everyone stone cold mint, and going through the matrices every side is solid state cut apart from one side of the WA which has a -1 stamper.
    What I have noticed is that on my system (detailed in profile) the BC13 sound quality knocks every other pressing I have into a cocked hat!
    The BC13 has depth, sweet trebles, tight bass, more air, better separation. To my ears they sound perfect. In comparison, all my other pressings sound “confused”, a bit hot in the trebles, lose base. So I’m thinking, this is a solid state v tube situation?? Is it my ears playing tricks, if someone said to me that every other copy I have would be taken away and I would just have the BC13 left......fine by me. Is this due to how they were cut back in the 60’s for the equipment of the time? And what is it with all the EQ and compression? Is this how the Beatles should “sound”
    Oh, 1 exception. PPM Die Beatles is MUCH better than the BC13 PPM.

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

That’s the BC-13: the best sounding Beatles Stereo Box.

I agree with everything you have described.

Keep in mind that the Solid State recuts are not only recut but also remastered. The mastering used for the Bc-13’s is much more forgiving and less aggressive.

The 60s pressings were mastered for cheap turntables and AM radios but by the time the recuts has started FM had taken hold and turntables got a lot better.

They are much more natural sounding and really great :righton:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Dan The Man1 and 12" 45rpm like this.
  3. Exotiki

And I agree with you: solid state Die Beatles is much better than the solid state PPM in BC-13

4. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I think the only tube-cut Beatles LP that sounds better than its solid state counterpart is Beatles For Sale. Many members here describe it as sounding "holographic," which I agree with.

5. danielkov86

Also I recently bought a tube-cut (-1/-1) Revolver and compared it to my solid state (-2/-2) copy and was surprised to find that I enjoyed the solid state cut more. Seemed better balanced.

Leonthepro, Stusaff and Exotiki like this.
  6. Stusaff

I thought years ago that the tube cuts were the pressings to get, and that they would have a wonderful warmth and depth to them, and I have to say that in all that time I never listened to any solid state cuts, not until I bought BC13
    It maybe odd to say (and VERY kit dependant), but these pressings are simply stunning sound wise, and you can probably get the whole box for the price of a NM first stereo pressing of rubber soul!

Dan The Man1 and Exotiki like this.
  7. danielkov86

You still gotta get the tube-cut Beatles For Sale, though. If you're gonna own one tube-cut, that's the one. The difference between that and the later copies is like the difference between HORZU MMT and non-German MMT.

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Still looking for one. I have a Dutch box and almost all cuts are non UK.

9. Stusaff

Yes, I have read a lot about the first press Stereo BFS, I do have a copy of that but I do find that a bit hot in the treble especially on Kansas City, which seems to “suffer” in the yeah yeah yeahs right at the end (bit of groove wear I imagine). I will have to dig it out and have another listen
    Totally agree on the MMT, that is a sensational sounding disk.

10. Stusaff

It’s a large outlay, that’s for sure. I held out for an early one, but after hearing it, it made me kick myself that This forum wasn’t around 30 years ago. I wouldn’t have purchased any tube cut Beatles lps, that’s how good it is.

Exotiki likes this.
  11. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Are all the BC13 boxes solid state pressings even the later boxes? What is the reason for holding out for an early pressing?

I recently found a near mint later BC13 box which included some matrix numbers that some say indicate a dcc pressing. I've read the arguments and don't believe blue boxes included dcc pressings. However I was really impressed with the overall sound quality.

Exotiki likes this.
  12. Exotiki

No: some are Tube. I posted a list of all the SS vs Tube in another BC-13 thread

fishcane and timnor like this.
  13. Exotiki

Tube VS Solid State/Cut List (This assuming that all lacquers cut after 1970 were solid state)

Tube: Bold
    Solid State: Normal

PPM : (Summer 1976-October 1980) (Side One: YEX 94-2 Side Two: YEX 95-2) (October 1980-April 1984)(Side One: YEX 94-3, Side Two: YEX 95-3)(End of spring 1984-1987) (Side One: YEX 94-4, Side Two: YEX 95-4)
    WTB : (Summer 1976-October 1980)(Side One: YEX 110-2 (or -3), Side Two: YEX 111-4 (or -5) (October 1980-April 1984) (Side One: YEX 110-5, Side Two: YEX 111-6 or Side One: YEX 110-5-1-1, Side Two: YEX 111-5-1-1) (end of spring 1984-1987) (Side One: YEX 110-6-1-1, Side Two: YEX 111-6)
    AHDN : (October 1980-April 1984)(Side 1: YEX 126-2; Side 2: YEX 127-4)(End of spring 1984-1987)(Side 1: YEX 126-3; Side 2: YEX 127-4.)
    BFS : (Summer 1976-October 1980) (Side 1: YEX 142-1 (or -2 ; -3; -4); Side 2: YEX 143-1 (or -2; -3; -4) (October 1980-April 1984) (Side 1: YEX 142-5; Side 2: YEX 143-6.) (End of spring 1984 until 1987) (Side 1: YEX 142-5; Side 2: YEX 143-5 (or -6)
    HELP! : (Summer 1976-October 1980) (Side 1: YEX 168-2 (or -3); Side 2: YEX 169-1) (October 1980-April 1984) (Side 1: YEX 168-4; Side 2: YEX 169-4.) (End of spring 1984-1987) (Side 1: YEX 168-4; Side 2: YEX 169-4)
    RS : (Summer 1976-October 1980) ( Side 1: YEX 178-3 (or -4); Side 2: YEX 179-3 (or -4) (October 1980-April 1984)(Side 1: YEX 178-5; Side 2: YEX 179-5) (End of spring 1984-1987) (Side 1: YEX 178-6 (or -7); Side 2: YEX 179-6-1-3 (or -7)

RVLR : (Summer 1976-October 1980) (Side 1: YEX 605-3; Side 2: YEX 606-3 (or -4) (October 1980-April 1984) (Side 1: YEX 605-3 (or -4); Side 2: YEX 606-4) (End of spring 1984-1987) (Side 1: YEX 605-5-1-2; Side 2: YEX 606-4)
    SPLHCB :(Summer 1976-October 1980) (Side 1: YEX 637-1 (or 2; -3; -4 -5); Side 2: YEX 638-2 (or -3; -4; -5) (October 1980-April 1984) (Side 1: YEX 637-6 (or 6-1-1); Side 2: YEX 638-6 (or 6-1-1) (End of spring 1984-1987)(Side 1: YEX 637-6-1-1 (or -)2; Side 2: YEX 638-6-1-1 (or -2).
    WHITE : Not sure if the White Album was tube: Do you know @pdenny ?
    YS : (Summer 1976-October 1980) (Matrix numbers: Side 1: YEX 715-4, Side 2: YEX 716-1) (1981-1984) (Side 1: YEX 715-5 (or -6, possible -7), Side 2: YEX 716-2 (possible -3) (1984-1991) (Side 1: YEX 715-7, Side 2: YEX 716-3)
    AR : All are solid-state cuts
    LIB : All are solid-state cuts

14. Stusaff

Yes, I followed that thread with interest I mentioned an earlier set as I thought I read somewhere that the later sets had thinner vinyl, and were a bit more hot in the treble. On the set I purchased 1978-81 going by rim text, all the matrixes were solid state apart from one side of the white album.
    I gambled as I know they were stock records shoved in a leather look box, Hoping to get solid state, and I got mostly that 99.999%

Exotiki likes this.
  15. Exotiki

And the Bc-13s aren’t exclusive to the box. So you could buy a solid state Stereo White album on discogs (1978-1987) and replace your tube White album

16. Exotiki

If someone wants an all SS Bc-13 make sure that these albums are the SS cuts: (they were offered as tube in the pre 81’ boxes)

Beatles for sale
    Rubber Soul
    Sgt Pepper
    White Album* (don’t know what cut was used)
    Yellow Submarine

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I was under the impression that none of the White Albums in the blue box are solid state.
    I thought you had to get the 1978 UK White Vinyl version if you want a SS cut of that one.

18. Exotiki

As I noted in my tube vs SS list I was unaware what cuts (tube or SS) was used for the White album.

if anyone could fill me in which matrixes were tube and which were SS I will be more than happy to update the list

19. danielkov86

I had a tube-cut and solid state (German) White album. The tube version had beautiful midrange but almost no bass at all, even on my receiver which has a bass boost button. The German was more balanced with just the right amount of low end (though not as much as the 2018 remix.) I prefer the German White Album.

20. Stusaff

I thought (although I’m no expert) that tube were all -1 matrix. One side of my BC13 WA is -1 all of the others are higher. I assumed 3 sides SS. I thought I read somewhere here that there were no 4 side SS WA. By that I assumed that -1 would appear on at least one side

21. Stusaff

I will check the matrices tonight for the ones above, I feel pretty sure though, that these were all not the same as my tube ones, but I will check to make sure

Exotiki likes this.
  22. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I'm also no expert but I was under the impression that the UK White Vinyl from '78 was the only Solid State cut.
    I'd love to be proved wrong as those things are not cheap and I really want a SS cut.

Exotiki likes this.
  23. Stusaff

I think you may be right. Which when you think about it would be quite amazing! Problem with buying the 1978 export white vinyl, is that you can splurge a ton of cash on that only to find it suffers from surface noise, which then makes you wonder why you bothered. Same price for a white vinyl as a mint complete BC13 !

Exotiki and vudicus like this.
  24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I saw a UK white vinyl at a recent record fair for a whopping £250.
    I was actually considering paying that much and assumed for that price it would be stone mint.
    When I took the discs out I saw many very obvious scratches. No thank ye!

Stusaff likes this.
  25. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Regardig The White Album, there are versions from the late 80's with -2 matrix for side D. I have one. All sides solid state cut.
    So the white vinyl version is not the only UK ss cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.