Oscars 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dhreview16, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best film Oscar? $$$£££ money on 1917. Serious time in the world right now so a bit of reality win for the British film.

Coin flip. Perhaps escapism and QT‘s fantasy Once Upon A Time In ..Hollywood will get the best picture gold Oscar.

2. alexpop

JoJo Rabbit?

Yorkie was great!!!!!

3. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I have never liked Scarlett Johansson. She accepted a role that was meant for a trans actor before she was pressured to turn it down. She also accepted a role that should've gone to an Asian. She betrayed her own gender by defending Woody Allen because she was in 3 of his films and he has industry connections. Scarlett is a very selfish women. That's why she's been divorced twice.

4. alexpop

Marvel didn’t kill her character off. Black Widow out in a couple of months.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

come on, tell us how you really feel about her..........................wow.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'joker' is quite interesting to me for one reason:

it is a vehicle for joaquin phoenix to win an academy award, period. and it succeeded.

the movie is phoenix, he is remarkably wonderful and disturbing at the same time, capturing those together had to be a daunting task.

however, the movie itself.....meh. 'taxi driver' and 'cuckoos' nest were both much better as films as studies of mental illness.

deniro lost the best actor to peter finch and nicholson won.

7. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

But he's supporting and the other is lead.
    Saw Marriage Story last night and Driver was incredible in it, very good Johannson , Dern.
    I could see why an actor would be attracted to this screenplay but it's not the great movie they tout it to be IMO.
    Far too long, and repetitive, could of been edited much more effectively.
    Do you guys think Driver is better ( I know hard to compare, two entirely different roles) than Phoenix? (I haven't seen Joker)

8. For me nobody is better than Phoenix this year. It’s a disturbing role and he nails it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Thanks for the laugh :biglaugh:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just saw “1917” last night and thought it was very good. Enjoyed it. Very well done. The one -shot technique was perfect for a war film. Everyone is becoming Iñárritu! There were times when 1917’s score also reminded me on The Revenant. I certainly hope they don’t start making all films like this, though. In fact, this is one of the ultimate expressions of this technique, I’m gonna guess. But I sure hate to lose editing tricks! We low budget guys need them!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I want OUATIH, but I always get burnt so I’m guessing “1917.”

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

She’s winning me back after I wanted to use her own baseball bat on her for the HarleyQuinn character voice. But I never saw a nom for OUATIH.

brownie61 likes this.
  13. Because actors never play parts that don’t reflect them personally.

I never knew Daniel Day Lewis was a cripple or a gay hustler when he was younger. :tiphat:.

smilin ed likes this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Other than the technique and the cinematography, I don't really know what people are liking about this film. There's nothing to it other than the technique, which means it's purely an exercise in directorial self-indulgence. The "human" elements are phoned-in and cliched. A critic review I read made the very on-point observation that so many of the scenes were so beautifully, cinematically staged... but war isn't beautiful at all. It's brutal and ugly. A little bit of that was conveyed in the film, but I see the setting more as just an excuse for cinematic indulgence. The scene when the soldier was knocked out and woke up several hours later... well of course that happened. It was the only way to achieve a time jump within the conceit that the director chose to box himself into, but it was desired, because... night scenes! Can't have that meticulously staged night scene in the blasted-out city unless it's actually night, and since the mission started in the middle of the day and this is only a 2-hour film... well, we get it. It didn't serve the plot in any way, but we did need that night scene. And though time is of the essence and he *lost* so much time while unconscious it makes no sense at all that he's going to sit around and listen to a ballad being sung when he does finally encounter the unit he's supposed to warn. But hey - we've got to have a bunch of sullen soldiers who know that they're about to get killed nobly huddled together singing ominously foreshadowing ballads because it's a modern war film, and thus we need to get something weepy in there. And of course it's all so serious and tragic that our protagonist needs to stop what he's doing and take in the weepy sullenness. Ugh.

I saw this last weekend and did enjoy it on a very basic action film level, but it's totally empty on every other level that there is beyond the technical. So give nominations for some technical awards. Get as high as Cinematography, if we must. But this is otherwise such blatant Oscar-baiting nonsense that it's kind of a joke that it would get Best Picture or Best Director nods. IMO.

Ghostworld and Scott222C like this.
  15. alexpop

Ha! Probably neither of them, there’s always a Joker in the pack.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. alexpop

Think you need a few lines of dialogue for that, ya’ know real acting. :)

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

best supporting actor is a killer race in this one. wow.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yep, I think 2020 is QT's year

19. Ouch! Divorced twice? That must be a Hollywood record. And defending Woody Allen is now a betrayal of woman everywhere? What a world you live in.

lbangs and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

If you want to blame anyone for casting it's the studio, directors, not the actress for accepting a role. They wouldn't care about race, gender or anything, only what's bankable.
    Scarlett Johansson is an alright actress, best I've seen her so far is Marriage Story role, congrats to her on the 2 Academy nods.
    Woody Allen has been treated unfairly, you have to look up the facts, there is more to say the Mother used her child to get back at him.Very sad. But not the place for that, let's carry on with Oscar talk :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Mazzy and budwhite like this.
  21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

There was a concerted effort by some voters to prevent Roma from winning since it was Netflix streamed so closely to theatrical release.
    I wonder if the same is being organized against Scorcese this year or if they just think it's not really in the running.

22. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I for one am glad "Roma" didn't win because while acknowledging some of it's artistic merit , it was a very dull film.
    Now NFlix is more in to film production, and Scorcese is so much a fabric of the studio system that I doubt they'd target him.
    In light of this conversation, "Parasite" being nominated in foreign film category and best picture, do you think that's fair?

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Pesci all the way. The fix is in. It's what it is..

Michael and The Panda like this.
  24. alexpop

Pesci won’t get it, TV movie tag.

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

You have a point but sentimentality may be a factor.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.