Supertramp Best Vinyl LP Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FloydVivino, Jan 14, 2020.

1. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is spread throughout the SHMF, I do realize. For that reason, I thought it would be good to have it in one single thread, where findings can be summarized every once in a while, for future reference. To cater also to those with more thrifty purses (or with no high-end hifi setup), please identify:

a) the top-release version or reissue (typically pricy!) and
    b) the "cheaper-but-still-very-good-alternative" release (up to, say, US35)

I'll start with these three favorites - and risked placing mere examples for COTC - but feel free to add yours, on which people can then undertake the same exercise:

A. Crime of the Century ("COTC")
    1. Top:
    2. Cheap Good Alt:
    B. Crisis What Crisis ("CWC")
    C. Breakfast in America ("BIA")

Please indicate barcodes and matrix identifiers, Discogs link, or both.

Many thanks and happy discussion!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Sean, DavidD and dubious title like this.
  2. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Nice idea.

Have to get started on work so I'll make this short. With regard to COTC think it's generally concluded that the out of print and pricey Speakers Corner is the best this record sounds. I don't own this and couldn't justify spending a bunch off money on it. Ken Scott mentioned that the first (I believe) UK press was issued on "high quality" vinyl (the kind of vinyl reserved for more prestigious classical records of their time) and is worth seeking out. For the more budget conscious I would heartily recommend the Canadian "Audiophile Series". It sounds tremendous. In my mind a near demo quality record. I just wish Bob's drums didn't sound like cardboard boxes.

Not sure what the consensus is on CWC is but my first UK sounds beautiful.

Chemguy and FloydVivino like this.
  3. FloydVivino

Canada 1978 A&M Records ‎– SPJ 3467, correct? For info, only three for sale, trading @ 37-46eur (VG+, NM) - one for a Cheap Good Alt (CGA)

Germany 1999 A&M Records ‎– SP-3647, Speakers Corner Records ‎– SP-3647, cited in question. For info, only three for sale, trading @ 90-210eur (VG+, NM) - one for a Top

UK 1974 A&M Records ‎– AMLS 68258, cited above, but there quite a few versions. These are cheap, so not quoting anything until someone points to the "right one" - one for a Cheap Good Alt (CGA)

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I have the Mofi and the Canadian Audiophile Series. They're pretty much the same, which is superb.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

6. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

I have two mint first issue copies of
    Breakfast In America (Tone Trumpet logo) A 7 B 5
    Tony Bridge on matrix run out.
    And "famous last words..."
    Uk 1st issue (Trumpet logo) A1 B1 TML-S
    On matrix run out.
    Both sound amazing and I found them in
    a Charity Shop for £3 each.
    Best sounding copies of these two albums I have ever found sleeves+ inners and vinyl all like new worth finding if you find these in Portugal, Floyd.

tinnox and dubious title like this.
  7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm more than impressed with mine as well. It's a great record. I was astounded the first time I played it.

Tinian, FashionBoy and Chemguy like this.
  8. FloydVivino

You mean:
    BIA's Canada 1979 A&M Records ‎– SPJ-3708 ("Audiophile Series") - trading (14.1.19) @ 25-65eur - one for CGA category
    BIA's US 2018 MFSL 1-471 - trading (14.1.19) @ 35-75eur - one for CGA or top category

Maybe this one?
    BIA's UK 1979 A&M Records ‎– AMLK 63708 - trading (14.1.19) at 20-35eur (NM) - another one for CGA category
    can't seem to find the A7 B5 reference though

FLW's UK 1982 A&M Records ‎– AMLK 63732 - trading (14.1.19) for less than 25eur (NM) - another one for CGA category

Just don't rub it, ok? ;)

Another vote for:
    BIA's US 2018 MFSL 1-471 - trading (14.1.19) @ 35-75eur - one for CGA or top category

Thanks, please confirm if I got you right!

9. FloydVivino

And so far, both for top-and-pricey ('tap') and cheaper but good alternative ('cga'), in no particular order (even if you might want to comment on that, and numbering will come next) we seem to have got:

A. Crime of the Century ("COTC") - 1974
    B. Crisis What Crisis ("CWC") - 1975
    C. Breakfast in America ("BIA") - 1979
    D. Famous Last Words ("FLW") - 1982

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yes, those are the ones.

FloydVivino likes this.
  11. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Agreed. Among non-audiophile releases, I also have an early German which sounds great, as well.

Chemguy likes this.
  12. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

The one I have owned / heard pretty much every version of is Crime Of The Century.

For me, the Speaker’s Corner is the biggest, fattest, hifi sounding version. Incredible transients on the drums which make you feel like you’re in front of a kit.

The 1st UK (matrix A5/B6) is quite different. Rounder and “tubier” sounding. But I did feel that it was a nice interpretation of the music and is fun to listen to. Perhaps a little muted or muffled sounding, if there’s any criticism to be given out and that would be system dependent as well.

Overall, I feel the SC is probably closer to the “truth” of what the tapes sound like since so many of the other versions, Canadian Audiophile, MFSL and the later “ALLEN” UKs sound similar but, to me, not quite as stunning as the SC.

So,

a) Speaker’s Corner (pricey but best)

b) MFSL, later UKs, 1st UK (cheaper alternatives)

Finally, I’d like to cc: @Raunchnroll for his thoughts. I feel like his input would be helpful.

mpayan likes this.
  13. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Latest Mofi of BIA is the best it's ever sounded besides the nimbus supercut.

Chemguy and FashionBoy like this.
  14. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

As for the Canadian Audiophile Series:

Crime Of The Century = excellent
    Crisis? What Crisis = excellent
    Even In The Quietest Moments = O.K.
    Breakfast In America = don't bother

c-eling and dubious title like this.
  15. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

It would be nice to do album by album to hear what people have, especially interested in S/T, which is a wonderful album. Anyway, here is what I have.

Supertramp S/T

Side One:
    TI A&M SP 03149 A T3

Side Two:
    TI AM 5068 (crossed out) T3 3149 B

I don’t think the exact version is on discogs. Here is the closest: Supertramp - Supertramp

Indelibly Stamped

Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped

Crime Of The Century

I have two copies of what looks like Indianapolis Press. They differ from one another slightly, this is the closest:
    Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Crime Of The Century

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFSL 1-005
    Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
    This is my least favorite version. This is not the same release linked in OP.

I’ll do the rest later.

16. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

17. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

THIS.

18. FloydVivino

Update so far:

A. Supertramp ("SPT") - 1970
    1. US 1981 A&M Records ‎– SP 3149 - TI A&M SP 03149 A T3/ TI AM 5068 (crossed out) T3 3149 B - trading @10-15eur - cga
    B. Indelibly Stamped ("IDS") - 1971
    1. Europe 1977 A&M Records ‎– AMLH 64306 - 1A/1B - Made in Holland - trading @ 10-25eur - cga
    C. Crime of the Century ("COTC") - 1974
    1. Germany 1999 A&M Records ‎– SP-3647, Speakers Corner Records ‎– SP-3647 - trading @ 90-210eur (VG+, NM) - tap (the one!)
    2. Canada 1978 A&M Records ‎– SPJ 3467 ("Audiophile Series") - trading @ 37-46eur (VG+, NM) - cga
    3. UK 1974 A&M Records ‎– AMLS 68258 - A5/B6 or A5/B5 or A6/B6 or A8/B12 or A6/B9 or A8/B12 - trading @ 15-35eur - cga
    4. US 1974 A&M Records ‎– SP-3647 - ("Indianapolis Press") - cga
    5. US 1978 MFSL - MFSL 1-005 - A2/B1 - trading @ 50-200eur (US-based way cheaper) - not really cga
    D. Crisis What Crisis ("CWC") - 1975
    1. Canada 1980 A&M Records ‎– SPJ 4560 ("Audiophile Series") - trading @ 60-70 - tap?
    2. UK 1975 A&M Records ‎– AMLH 68347 - A4/B3 - trading @ low prices in poor state - cga?
    3. Germany 1975 A&M Records ‎– 89 651 XOT - cgda
    E. Breakfast in America ("BIA") - 1979
    1. US 2018 MFSL 1-471 - trading (14.1.19) @ 35-75eur - tap (the one!)
    2. Canada 1979 A&M Records ‎– SPJ-3708 ("Audiophile Series") - trading (14.1.19) @ 25-65eur - cga
    3. UK 1979 A&M Records ‎– AMLK 63708 (is this the A7 B5?)- trading (14.1.19) at 20-35eur (NM) - cga
    F. Famous Last Words ("FLW") - 1982
    1. UK 1982 A&M Records ‎– AMLK 63732 - trading (14.1.19) for less than 25eur (NM) - cga

c-eling likes this.
  19. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Love my UK copy of COTC - don't have it in front of me to get the stamper info. But I preferred it over the standard American and the MFSL, back when I owned all three.

c-eling and FloydVivino like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

mpayan, Dr. Funk and FloydVivino like this.
  21. FloydVivino

That's one for breaking the bank ;) Thanks!

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

:laugh:
    If I could find one at a thrift store for a few bucks, especially in my neck the woods, more should be out there!

23. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I really like it. I think it stands up extremely well to a UK first pressing and if you buy the deluxe edition with the live recording it's a no-brainer IMO..!

I really wish they would release an anniversary edition of Crisis? What Crisis? - That's one album that I have struggled to find a nice, quiet pressing of. I think the thick yellow inner sleeve of the UK original destroys it. - By the way, does anyone have the 'free' poster? I have the coupon insert but I've never seen the poster...

One more random Supertramp comment: I recently found a DBX encoded copy of Even In The Quietest Moments. That's a strange beast... I'd love to also find a DBX decoder machine so that I could actually hear it..! (No chance..)

c-eling likes this.
  24. FloydVivino

My only consolation is that there's a special hot place waiting for you guys that brag about finding a gem for a "couple of bucks" in a "thrift store". :cussing: ;)

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

:laugh:
    My key into Heaven is that I've gifted/traded a few over the years :D