Tube recommendations 6DJ8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stromung, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stromung

Stromung Well-Known Member Thread Starter

All,

I need to replace my stock tube . They are for my cd player. Any good recommendations? I think 6DJ8 is the equivalent of 6922 as well.

2. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident

I have a shiit vali headphone amp that uses this tube and went through quite a few before settling one and having no desire to change it again. I do not know how they would affect cd playback though. I listen with Grado headphones .
    I currently have a tesla tube ( the older one - not JJ) and it still makes me happy every time i listen to it. to me it is that holographic lush tube sound.
    --Other tubes I tried--
    * amperex - both orange globe and bugle boy - both pretty nice
    * rca-average
    * toshiba - very laid back - almost too smooth
    * telefunken - pretty decent
    * ge-boring
    * probably a few others that i dont remember.
    * 1 note - when listening with either my sennheiser 595 or akg 701 - it was fairly hard to even discern i had switched tubes. the grado really lets you hear the differences.

im not sure if this helps you at all :(

luckyno13 likes this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

RCA 6922 gold pin. States Made in Germany on box. These tubes are stellar performing Siemens.

Ham Sandwich and Stromung like this.
  4. Stromung

Do you have more info in this holographic tube you mentioned?

5. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

You can read about them here (scroll down): ECC88 List

It's probably system dependent, but I have tried both these and Telefunken E88CC, and I found the Teslas a bit doll and preferred the Teles. The best 6DJ8 I have tried is Siemens CCa. There are different versions of them, though, and I'm not sure which one I had.

Stromung likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Doesn't get any better than the Orange Globe Amperex. Cheap and fantastic.

7. emenel

emenel Forum Resident

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Check the prices for a Siemens CCa now. Sit down. Then look.

Unfortunately the good 6922 compatible tubes in good condition are getting expensive. Over $100 or $200 per tube from reliable sources.

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

In what world are those cheap?

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

counterfeit old stock from an eBay seller.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Routinely see them cheap on eBay. Obviously a bit more expensive on reputable tube sellers' websites but for how cheap they can be had on eBay from longtime tube sellers, it's worth buying some there and returning them via PayPal's buyer protection if they're somehow defective.

$25/tube; Matched Pair Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 O-Getter Holland Same COD TV-7 TESTED | eBay
    $11.25/tube right now, ending soon with MO option ; 4 Amperex 6dj8/ECC88 Vintage Tubes (Made In Holland) | eBay
    $9.14/tube in a matched quad ; (4) STRONG! AMPEREX 6DJ8 Tubes - Logos worn off as pictured CLOSELY MATCHED! #2 | eBay

As for the comment about counterfeit stock, I've almost never have encountered that. And those tubes are too cheap to bother counterfeiting anyway. Tubes costing many hundreds of dollars, that'd make sense.

On reputable sellers' websites like Brent Jesse, they're *still* cheap at $39/tube. You're probably thinking of the 7308 which is the 6DJ8's big brother.

Stromung likes this.
  12. Ham Sandwich

The current production Genalex Gold Lion E88CC tubes are fine. Depending on what you're putting them in they may be good enough. And quiet enough. Being new production you can buy them easily without needing to research if a seller is legit and honest. No worries about buying a fake tube.

Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC / 6922 Audio Tubes - www.thetubestore.com

I use the Genalex Gold Lion tubes in my headphone amps that take 6922 tubes.

13. Strat-Mangler

A $45 new production tube made in China versus a $32 NOS Amperex on Brent Jesse's website. Why?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  14. Ham Sandwich

The current production Gold Lion E88CC tubes are made in Russia.
    They work fine.
    I don't care about saving $15 per tube.
    I like how the Gold Lion tubes sound in my amp.
    They're very easy to buy.
    They're the best sounding of the current production 6922 style tubes.

Razakoz and pscreed like this.
  15. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident

i think i can post links to them being sold on ebay - Tesla E88CC matched Pair ECC88 6DJ8 6922 tested. | eBay - back when i got mine i picked up a quad as the price was not high and i figured i would have spares if i liked them.

Stromung likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Potato, potahto. Still current production tubes, though I'll concede they're likely the best current production tube on the market. However, NOS Amperex tubes offer superior sound, longer lifetime, and have tighter QC.

Can't see any reason to spend $15 more for a tube that offers no advantage whatsoever over what's available elsewhere.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've never been especially fond of 6DJ8/6922. I fear they're kind of inherently bright and tizzy. The one Steve and some others around here suggest are the USA Amperex 7308. I have a pair of these, but I sort of felt they avoided being bright by being dull. To be honest I'd probably go with Electro Harmonix gold pin and call it a day. I don't currently own anything that takes that tube type and am glad.

18. Strat-Mangler

EH tubes always sound bright and in-your-face to me. Some love that sound while I prefer a warm and inviting one. Interesting how we're on opposite ends of the EH spectrum. In the name of synergy, I'd recommend an EH tube to someone with a sound that is way too laid-back and dull.

19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed. Thats what I had in my Quicksilver Preamp.....sounded great.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. k_brown

k_brown Forum Resident

I think if the OP told us what was in the CD player that needs to be replaced and what he did and didn't like about the sound we could make better recommendations

21. Stromung

The.original.tubes is made by sovteks around 1990.

I am looking for tubes that will give a wider soundstage sound.

Thank you All

22. Stromung

Is this the USA Amperex 7308 ?

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Those Siemens for RCA 6922s sound great, I run mainly Amperex US made 6922s and 7308s in my buffer stages. Do some searches here for 6DJ8, 6922 and 7308 tubes - there’s a lot of threads about them.

24. Strat-Mangler

Read above. Part of the same family but not the same tube. 6DJ8 is cheap while the 7308 isn't.

25. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

Doesn't the 7308 require more voltage?
    Cause I was thinking about that tube for my ARC SP9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.