No Time to Die (2021 James Bond film). May include spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Nov 27, 2017.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Totally disagree. In fact I saw Skyfall on a list of most overrated films of the decade, recently. QoS was great. It picked up right where CR left off and Foster did a great job. Those first two films took place shortly after Bond got double-0 status...which made Skyfall very jarring with its theme of Bond being over the hill. I just didn't buy Bardem in that villain role. He was arguably the most intriguing bad guy in cinema thanks to the performance the Coens got out of him as Chigur in No Country for Old Men. But to see him try to pull off another bad-guy epic performance with sub-par writing and direction was just cringe-worthy IMHO. Spectre was a good way to right the ship, and Blofeld was indeed the best villain since CR's Le Chiffre. I also liked the opening sequence in Mexico City, the car chase through Rome and the way it wrapped up the Mr. White arc.

budwhite likes this.
  2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The car chase was rather flat to me, the opening sequence felt far too much like a flashback to the Roger Moore tongue in cheek style, & Blofeld wasn't a worthy villain as written, totally wasting Waltz.

I didn't see 007 as over the hill in Skyfall, but more as burnt out, which can happen at any age or level. I liked that QoS opened like it did, but it was all downhill from there, with one of the worst villains ever. I do tend to agree with you in part on Bardem, but he was far better than the main QoS villain.

As to lists of overrated/underrated movies, if I read those, I tend to take them with a grain of salt based on my own likes/dislikes. For example, Game Night was raved about, sits at 84% on RT, & my wife & I were fed up with it & walked out after about 20-30 minutes, only the 2nd film I've ever walked out on & her 1st. In the time we tried watching that piece of crap, alleged "comedy", we didn't laugh once. If I enjoy a film, it later being on a list of "overrated" films doesn't change things for me a bit.

3. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Those TERRIBLE monologues performed TERRIBLY by Bardem makes him the single very worst Bond villain of them all. The rats on the island monologue is comically bad.

budwhite and GregM like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hans Zimmer now doing the score( cutting it a bit neat).

georgespigott likes this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I like his themes, I just wish that he dials it back. With Nolan it is always turned up to 11. It's an assault. Inception is the most bombastic score ever.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The car chase was a nice sprint through Rome. I liked the old Italian gentleman, pulling out in front of Bond whereupon Bond nudged him into a parking space. At first I thought it was too silly, but on second viewing it was a nice way to break up the chase. It was a throwback as you say and Craig is a bit awkward with that level of camp because his demeanor is so serious. It worked for me. How is Blofeld not a worthy villain as written? I thought the proper amount of time was given setting up the history of bad blood and the personal vendetta. You don't want to shine too much light on such a shadowy organization and its leader. The torture sequence, making great cinematic use of light exposure, the cat and the exploding watch, was a nice way to breathe new life into 007 clichés.

There were numerous references throughout Skyfall that Bond was over the hill. It's peppered throughout the script in a heavy handed way. If you didn't see him that way, why didn't you have a problem with the constant barrage of this? It was jarring as we were seeing only what amounted to the second Craig mission, as CR/QoS are basically a two-film sequence of his first mission, with resolution of the Vesper matter coming at the end of QoS; Mathis meets his demise in QoS, too. The QoS villain is obnoxious but he did a good enough job.

Also, talk about taking something with a grain of salt--the assault of a quiet manor on the tors by blimp fitted with loudspeakers and large caliber guns, blaring Boom Boom was right up there with the most idiotic things I've seen in 007 movies. It so took me out of the Bond experience and I kept wondering what Skyfall associate producer got wind of a large estate that needed to be demolished. That alone makes it a worse film than CR, QoS and Spectre.

7. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

10. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Dear God who's the d o u c h e n o z z l e in the Members Only jacket over a shirt with a pixie-sized collar and the collar buttons undone? That guy doesn't deserve to shine Q's shoes, much less JB's.

"Bad Guy" and "All The Good Girls..." show that BE can do a song with a beat. The problem is the rest of the album is even more listless than Sam Freakin' Smith. If Babs & MW have saddled 25 with another "Writing's On The Wall" I'll wait for a torrent of the blu.

Richard--W likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Hey, I hear 'ya! Remember it's been me all along, for the past five BOND films, who said that they should give Dame Shirley Bassey one more theme, but nooooooooooooooo, it's has to always be the frickin' flavor of the month.

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Liz Phair would be great

13. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

They should give it to Tool. They recently had a US number 1.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

I’m glad to see Jeffery Wright will again be in a bond movie which is always s positive.

agentalbert and MPLRecords like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh my god, this is the funniest damned commercial of the year. OK, we're barely 2 weeks into 2020, but still...

16. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

18. georgespigott

Yes, I've seen the trailer - pretty standard stuff, but luckily for me, I'm easily entertained! Really looking forward to a Marr version of the famous guitar bit!

19. alexpop

Wow! Really tarting up this bond movie ..Billy Eilish on board as well now. :)

20. georgespigott

Just saw an interview where Billie Eilish is working with Hans Zimmer on her Bond theme song. Intrigued at the possibility of adding Johnny Marr to that as well!

Music Update

21. alexpop

What else are they going to throw in ...
    a Sean Connery cameo. :)

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

There are reliable reports No Time to Die is a comedy.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, not at all. Watch the trailer.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It just hit me: this'll be the first Bond film released with one of the Bonds no longer alive. I hope Moore gets some kind of dedication at the beginning or end.

25. alexpop

Passed three years ago.

Can’t see it happening, nice gesture though.