Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The quad Atom Heart Mother is there too.

aphexj and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Yep, but only on DVD/BR. Much like TDB is only on the DVD/BR versions of this box set.

3. Trainspotting

Yeah, but lots of things are "only on the DVD/BR." There's more on the DVD/BRs than on the CDs. Most of the content on TEY is visual.

fishcane and croquetlawns like this.
  4. chav

chav Active Member

As I told in a post earlyer (pag.245), the DVD version has a smoother movement on the image, like a 50fps video. And it's cleaner (no grain and noise). If you can watch it on a small screen, or kind of, maybe you'll find it interesting, because of those diferences.

originalsnuffy likes this.
  5. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

Just bought disk 6 blu Ray surround mixes in 5.1 for £30 eBay. That’s all DVDs and CDs in book I have and all I want,paid £150.. one happy man.

Roger Gilmour likes this.
  6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

In terms of studio albums, only a remix of Obscured By Clouds is on "The Early Years". Including the regular studio albums on CD is not the format of these box sets aside from new versions/mixes, or 4.0 or 5.1 mixes.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And the remixed Meddle (stereo and 5.1, hidden on the first issue of the Reverber/ation Blu-ray).

8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

£273 at the mo...need it to go sub £200 please Amazon

Oyster Boy and Farthingscat like this.
  9. Trainspotting

That's right! I couldn't extract it and had to buy it on eBay.

10. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

And it was unlistenable as was the even worse sounding Pompeii soundtrack!

dtuck90, aphexj and Billy Infinity like this.
  11. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

For what is missing in this set, I find it odd that folks keep looking for the original albums. Neither TEY or TLY had any original albums—only a few remixed ones (OBC, AMLoR) or quad/5.1 mixes of them. For all that this set did wrong, it at least didn’t have you pay for material you’d gotten elsewhere. (The 5.1 DB mix being an exception.)

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

So, I'm watching delicate sound of thunder.
    The lighting choice was very dark. A big contrast to pulse which is super bright and shiny.
    Gilmour's guitar playing however sounds slightly more inspired to me. jut a tiny bit. Being shot on film makes it look prettier in a way.no need to use DNR like pulse to hide the video source. Looks more "movie-like". As a whole the concert has a more somber darker tone.

I really like how the mr screen shots are actual source film instead of just shot off the screen. I will say i think the editing was better done on pulse. On this there are many unnecessary shots of the crowd and just in general doesn't captivate me as much.
    Though I like the movie touches like the dogs in dogs of war running in the aisles and in the beginning showing the lasers during the start of shine on you crazy diamond.

-----
    I can tell a lot of the money they are trying to recoup with this set went to tons of care on the restoration of pulse and delicate sound of thunder.

Don't know if i'll watch venice or knebworth. Honestly cut down stripped versions of songs isnt my thing and it appears the same care wasnt given to those two. really pulse and dsot is all you need imo. you can watch claire torry's knebworth performance on youtube.

superstar19, Choba b CCCP and chav like this.
  13. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

It makes no sense at all that this box should have studio albums.

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Does it not have A Momentarily Lapse of Reason either?

markreed likes this.
  15. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Not the regular album, no.

16. The Hud

I guess I didn't realize the concept of the set.

rontoon likes this.
  17. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

No worries. May I suggest the Discovery box? It's a beautiful box of all the studio albums (bar The Endless River) on cd.

18. The Hud

I already have all of the studio albums, except for The Endless River, actually. I was glancing over the tracklist for this box and noticed that The Division Bell wasn't on CD, but I didn't see that Momentarily Lapse of Reason wasn't on CD either.

19. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

You have AMLOR in CD, but in a brand new deeightiesized remix.

20. The Hud

Is it any good?

21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The bottom line is that is sort of a novelty. It has some interesting bits, but so much more could have been done to give it a more organic feeling.
    Not that I have anything against the original, I have actually always liked this album, but if the brief was to de80size, they should have gone full on.
    I'm not sure it will replace the original as my go-to version to listen this album in a few months, after that novelty effect has worn out.
    Check it for yourself on Spotify.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

To me the later years were all about the live set. I like most of the songs from that era in the live format; the studio not as much.

I think the last fully satisfying Floyd album was the Wall; even then I only play about half the songs. Some of the grandiosity I find a bit grating.

Billy_Sunday and chav like this.
  23. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Funny thing you should mention The Wall. When I want to listen to Comfortably Numb or Run Like Hell I always resort to live versions, preferrably Delicate Sound or Pulse. Never the studio versions.

24. triply

triply Forum Resident

If we are talking about this set, then it definitely is DSoT. It was the first Pink Floyd video I watched, so I really love it a lot. The new mix is superb. I don't like the idea of "re-writing" the way Money was played during that tour, but that (and the fact that the video doesn't include a few of the songs played regularly on the tour) is just a minor complaint on a job really, really well done.

I always preferred DSoT to PULSE in all aspects - audio, video and artwork. The only thing I preferred more on PULSE was Sorrow, because it was longer and the inclusion of High Hopes.

If we are talking about Pink Floyd live concerts in general though, I have to pick Pompeii over DSoT!

moodyxadi, chav and pinkrudy like this.
  25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

For me it's the other way around: I prefer those two tracks in their studio incarnations. Never really liked them live. For CN the guitar solo is always a treat but I hate the way the verses are sung live. RLH I've always found irritating; and always used as the obligatory encore. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

tedhead, childerikov, Pinknik and 3 others like this.