Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Maybe Todd will get into the rap hall of fame? I don't see Crimson getting in while Robert Fripp is alive. He would not go for it unless the current lineup is inducted and the hall isn't going to go for that.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Whitney Houston shouldn't even be nominated....and I say this as a fan of hers.

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Seriously! Don’t get me wrong, Whitney was amazingly talented, but this is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, not the Pop Music Hall of Fame. Whitney could dance and certainly sing, but Pat rocks! Disappointing.

Greenalishi, bru87tr, pscreed and 9 others like this.
  4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

It can’t be any good without Rory Gallagher or Warren Zevon. I mean - Whitney Houston - Rock n Roll?

grapenut, bru87tr, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Judas Priest is such an influential force in heavy metal, it’s absolutely absurd that they aren’t in this thing.
    Kraftwerk is THE influence in electronic music and most modern music...again ridiculous that they are again overlooked.

The criteria that the HOF uses for induction specifically state that influence is a key component to induction...yet these two bands still aren’t in. Complete hypocrisy IMO.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

6. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

They aren't going to induct R&B singers like Arethra Franklin and not induct Whitney Houston. She was an iconic singer in that genre for decades. The Hall long ago included soul, R&B, some blues and jazz etc in the broad scope. No surprise at all that Houston in.

7. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Indeed. And also in interviews when they tried to label Motorhead "heavy metal".

8. DrProgQuest

Then you don't understand the broad basis of the acts they've been inducting for decades.

9. DrProgQuest

I would argue for Tangerine Dream before Kraftwerk in terms of electronic music. I would be surprised if either ever get in though.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Tommy James has written and recorded many classic rock songs which are instantly recognizable in popular music. Some of those songs include 'Mony Mony,' 'I Think We're Alone Now,' 'Crimson and Clover,' 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' and 'Draggin' The Line' and 'Sweet Cherry Wine.' Some of his songs are even played by high school marching bands.
    [​IMG]
    How many gold and platinum records does it take to enter the RHOF?

11. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

And Jon Landau gets in

jon9091 likes this.
  12. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

I'm happy to see T. Rex get in. Marc Bolan deserves this recognition. And with his induction, one member of John's Children gets into the RRHOF - the only one who had any chance at all.

But, let's face it, this place should be renamed the Popular Music Hall of Fame. It would be more accurate, given the list of inductees each year.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  13. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm a much bigger Pat Benatar fan but let's be real. Whitney was far far bigger so it makes sense. People seem to forget how massive she was 1985-1995 or so because of her personal trainwreck drama. No doubt Pat was big too, but even Crimes Of Passion sold about 1/3 what both Whitney's debut as well as The Bodyguard did

14. DrProgQuest

These Rock HOF classes used to be jam packed with heavyweight iconic bands that were all no doubters, and the live induction shows frequently had great end of show "jam band" collaborations and moments that were worth watching (and recording).

Now, as we get into the 90s eligible era, the classes are less substantial and iconic. Doobie Bros in this one is really the only band close to iconic, but even they are "second tier" iconic. All the more ridiculous to keep passing over certain long running bands that are iconic and influential.

Erik B. likes this.
  15. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Doobie Brothers!

Greenalishi, Todd W., apesfan and 6 others like this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Depends on what you consider iconic. For my age group and people I know, Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode are far more iconic and legendary to us than The Doobie Brothers

17. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

Well they need to rename the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to "The MUSIC Hall of Fame". They keep putting NON Rock acts in this R n R Hall of fame, what the...

18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

and once again it re-enforces that the rock and roll hall of fame just doesn't really matter, it isnt about impact on their peers or anything its all about popularity and selling tickets

t-rex absolutely deserved this though, and i was honestly surprised they got it.

pscreed, The Quiet One and Groggy like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Do you seriously think he was for real?

PS--That was called "a joke."

20. Synthfreek

You mean like since the very first year this thing existed? Why do people constantly have to be reminded that non-rock acts have gone in every year since year one?

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What other user names did you used to post under? Would not bet against Karl Farbman.

Shvartze Shabbos and Hiraeth like this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Non rock performers have been getting in since the first class, people just make excuses for 60s artists that they won't for those who came along later. Whitney is no less rock than The Supremes or Percy Sledge but they get a pass because of this torch people carry for the 1960s while hating all music that came later. Whitney, like other controversial inductees like Madonna, Donna Summer, ABBA and Janet Jackson (see a pattern in terms of gender?) had more well known songs on a single album than Percy had his entire career, but again, "60s, man"

23. DrProgQuest

Without any indication it was, I'm not going to assume. He might be a huge Greg Kihn Band fan. There will be even wackier suggestions than that in this thread.

24. Synthfreek

I think the indication was the sheer mention of Greg Kihn.

25. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Slim pickings for the future inductees, expect to see Adele in there next to Billie Eilish one day

RSteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.