Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is this any more ridiculous than never-ending arguments about who did the count-in to Beatles songs?

2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

If Whitney Houston's glory years of stardom had been 1965-1973 instead of 1985-1993, would you have as much a problem? I mean, I see people make the argument that Dionne Warwick (Whitney's cousin) is overdue an induction even though she was no more "rock and roll" but she was out in the 60s.

Whitney is no less "rock and roll" than the majority of 60s soul singers in the Hall that nobody disputes.

lc1995, Herman Schultz and aphexj like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Different categories. It's not like Landau's inclusion directly impacted MC5's exclusion...

ARK likes this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

So Little Rock and Roll in that list it’s frightening

5. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Rock and roll includes disco and hip hop.

So 'rock' means basically whatever you you want it to be in spite of decades of obviously contrasting usage.

Sorry that was absolutely incoherent what you wrote.

Tord, bru87tr and savemenow like this.
  6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Of the inductees, only Biggie, Whitney and Depeche Mode were deserving, IMO. The Doobie Brothers in the R&RHOF is an utter joke.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How often does Biggie get played on classic rock stations?

How often does Aqualung and Locomotive Breath get played?

Shoot me ... again... and again... year after year. Yes, this is tedious and I should know better.

Fusionfan likes this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

9. Oatsdad

That's a solid and wholly logical explanation.

It'll do nothing to alter the "BUT THAT ARTIST DOESN'T RAWK!!!" comments...

10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I didn't know that Azoff manages the Doobie Brothers until now. Things that make ya go hmm.

I guess Kings of Leon and Jewel will get inducted soon.

11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think Alanis has a tiny shot, but it'll be awhile because her followup albums lost all the momentum and she's only now starting to rebuild because nostalgia is now working in her favor that people are beginning to pay attention again.

12. Oatsdad

Alanis gets a boost because the Rock Hall is always so desperate for female artists.

Yeah, I know: that hasn't helped Benatar.

But I think Benatar's the exception to the rule.

At no point have I ever called Alanis a lock - or even a very likely inductee - but I still think she has a better chance than most seem to believe...

13. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

You keep making the same spurious claim. Plenty of people who care about rock think Dionne Warwick is ridiculous in a rock Hall of Fame as well.

None of them should be even in the discussion for a genre specific rock Hall of Fame.

Stormrider77, Tord and savemenow like this.
  14. NettleBed

There's no other way to read that, frankly. Every fan ballot winner had previously been inducted.

A warning to Phish, if they ever get put on the ballot!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. Really? They were/are the best act out of all of those. By far.

abescan, DrProgQuest and steve722 like this.
  16. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm saying it's ridiculous that Landau (whose idea for production on their second album arguably helped derail MC5s career) is in, and MC5 is not.

That being said, it's also not worth getting heated up about the rock hall, it's been what it is for a long time. It's fine, they can do what they want.

boe likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He didn't until last year. Things that definitely make you go hmmm.

C6H12O6 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It helps that her show on Broadway is the best jukebox musical in years, possibly decades

19. Nah. Whitney Houston is more Barbara Streisand than Aretha Franklin, and I don't see anyone arguing for Babs' induction.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I've always thought of 'What I'd Say' as pure Rock and Roll - but not just Rock and Roll. Some artists went in and out of different genres. Ray did Country as well, Jazz, RnB, Soul, etc. If Ray doesn't belong in the RnR HOF, no one does! Bob Dylan did/does different stuff as well.

Tord, Chris DeVoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Whitney Houston. LOL.

They're really just trolling us at this point.

22. NettleBed

As pedestrian and mediocre of a band as there ever was, IMO.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The thing about DMB ... how awkward is it inducting Boyd?

Phish will make it in someday. Not that they care, but they've been on the radar for quite a while (since their Flying Hot Dog is already in the RRHOF).

24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think Alanis suffers from the same case where I offered that Cyndi Lauper has a tiny shot of getting in (and I do think there is a small shot, yea, she was only making hits for 4-5 years but we have 60s artists who lasted 18 months who are in), if she gets in, it's mainly on the back of one album and possibly one-two other songs. The Go-Go's also are in this boat. All three of those I think one day will be in, but will be those Hollies/Moody Blues votes who get in after pretty much everything else from the era has been exhausted.

I think Sheryl Crow probably has a little more of a shot of getting in before Alanis just because while she never reached the heights of JLP, she had a more sustaining career, as well as having some good "in's" in the industry (dated Clapton, toured with Henley before fame, etc...) and she seems to be generally well liked by the industry that made her.

25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

If it's really going to be a rock & roll hall of fame, the inductees should have to have some connection to rock, even if it's just that they were an influence on many rock artists. People like James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Diana Ross (especially with the Supremes), Sly Stone etc. were very influential on rock artists. Whitney wasn't. (And again, I love Whitney, but she just wasn't influential for rock artists.)

That may indeed have been different if Whitney had done her thing 20 years earlier. Because rock was still evolving so much then and absorbing so many different influences. The way that rock developed in the later 80s and beyond, though, had very little to do with what was happening in 80s and 90s contemporary R&B, dance pop, etc.

Stormrider77, lc1995 and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.