Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

As is certainly Biggie and Whitney ... nothing rock or roll about them. A strong argument can be made that the same argument applies to DM.

DMGuy likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you all know that is a really simple solution to all of this:

change the damn name to the Cleveland Music Hall of Fame.

and then let them all in sinatra, judy garland, the ink spots, rudy vallee, mario lanza, andrea bocelli....all of them.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

And she's much closer to 1950's Rock 'n' Roll than the likes of Slayer.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Whitney appealed to young people in a way I don't think Streisand ever did.

I could be wrong, as I wasn't alive during her 60s/early 70s heyday, but she always seemed have more of an appeal to middle-aged women, whereas Whitney attracted a bigger teen/20s audience.

Streisand had pop appeal with more of a connection to "Songbook" artists than the pop stars - even when she sang rock/pop, it sounded like Music for Your Mom to Dust To.

Whitney's music felt way more current...

cquiller1 and Jmac1979 like this.
  5. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

lol

vertigone likes this.
  6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

That old chick from the English Voice too

7. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

They are rock artists.

lc1995 and rjp like this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Next year...Barbra Streisand.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

And still no Jethro Tull.

bru87tr, Todd W., Brian Lux and 3 others like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

agree.

B.I.G. is NOT.

11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

T-Rex...yeah! But Biggy should probably get it too (along with the late Bobby Fuller for parity of course).

12. jon9091

Not even sure Tull has ever been nominated. They should definitely be in IMO.

13. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

But what was Percy Sledge's influence on rock music? WAMLAW hit in 1966, the same year as Revolver and Pet Sounds and Blonde On Blonde, "rock" as it became was already gaining footing. Someone like Aretha I can see an argument for even though she didn't break big until the late 1960s, but someone like Sledge getting in literally on the back of one classic song with no complaints while artists like Houston, Janet Jackson, Madonna, ABBA, Donna Summer, etc... provided entire songbooks worth of memorable hit songs and classics somehow don't belong in there for not sounding like AC/DC comes off preposterous and this insane hard-on people carry for the 1960s that they'll make exceptions.

14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The HOF decides for itself what bands are eligible for inclusion. So the moment Biggie and Whitney were nominated, the argument that they aren't eligible disappeared. Forever.

Clearly, and for decades, the R&R HOF is open to all forms of popular music. Thus, the presence of Whitney and Biggie are both obvious and necessary.

Chris DeVoe and Oatsdad like this.
  15. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

So the inclusion of a rapper who made 2 albums and is more famous for getting whacked is not a joke and deserving but the election of a great popular American rock and roll band that's been around for close to 5 decades is an utter joke? Lmfao.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  16. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

The real genius of the RRHOF (apart from selling t shirts) is getting actual music fans to debate something so utterly ridiculous and poorly conceived.

And I guarantee that, next year when Debby Boone, Ferrante & Teicher and The Fat Boys are inducted, we'll all be back again, taking this nonsense seriously.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To me, the difference between Alanis and Cyndi as HOF inductees stems from both scale and influence.

"JLP" sold waaay more copies than "SSU", and AM's followup sold more than CL's, IIRC.

Also, Alanis opened the door for a whole crop of female performers in the 90s, whereas Cyndi wasn't even the most successful/influential female pop artist of her own era!

Also also, CL faded way faster. Her 3rd album barely cracked the top 40.

From "JLP" on, every Alanis album has made the top 10. Admittedly, scoring a top 10 album in the 2010s isn't as tough as in the 1990, but it shows Alanis maintained a core audience that Lauper didn't. Neither of her 2 1990s albums made the top 100!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Maybe they'll get in a Heavy Metal Hall Of Fame on the basis of Crest Of A Knave, a better metal album than Metallica's And Justice For All as decreed by the Grammys

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Snubbing the '60s yet again. T Rex barely edged in as the annual token '60s artist. Where are Johnny Rivers, the Monkees, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Guess Who, and Tommy James and the Shondells? Since when did Whitney Houston ever rock? As for the Notorious BIG, IMO, the Hip-Hop Hall of Fame should be a completely separate entity. The RRHOF becomes more of a bad joke every year.

Tord, bru87tr and savemenow like this.
  20. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Biggie made two legendary albums and had a huge impact on rap. Doobie Brothers made zero legendary albums and the only impact they made on rock music was as being a "yacht rock" target of ridicule.

21. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

I know there’s a user here who explicitly called the Doobie Brothers iconic, but most of us skip over their records when skimming thru the local Salvation Army & Savers bins.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  22. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

When the Baseball HOF starts inducting cricket players, I'll accept this argument.

Meantime, they should change the name to the Pop Music HOF and leave honoring R&R to people who actually like the music.

Lightworker, Folknik, Tord and 4 others like this.
  23. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Whitney has nothing at all to do with rock. Slayer do.

Anyone who doesn't see that has lost the plot entirely.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Stormrider77, bru87tr and Erik B. like this.
  24. jon9091

Then why isn’t Frank Sinatra in it?

Folknik and Tord like this.
  25. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Well... sort of.

Motown, Atlantic and Stax did produce some incredibly talented artists that truly influenced the rock n roll scene. We would need a few pair of hands to count the number of covers the Rolling Stones put out, or even Elvis and the Beatles. From my perspective, it is very inclusive but these artists have helped shape the music too...

This “bond” between R&B/soul and rock starts to lose ground in the 1980’s. Obviously, someone like David Grohl or Trent Reznor would likely never mention Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey as the reason they picked up a guitar... or Run DMC for that matter. That’s not to say those genres don’t impact, but music itself splintered into many pieces around this time.

Just wait until we hit the mid 20’s and Three Days Grace looks like a reliable candidate. Some of these off genre selections might be worth mentioning again...

lc1995 and Erik B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.