Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Any 60s artist has been eligible a minimum of 25 years. If you're not a strong enough candidate to be nominated over the last quarter century, you're probably not really HOF worthy! :shh:

Sneezyachew likes this.
  2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

While DM made their first breaks with synths and being part of the "new wave" era, I think people attacking their non-rockness is selling Martin Gore short. Ever since Violator, he's made his guitar a prevalent instrument of the band and his love for blues guitar has shown on many tracks to the point that some of the synth fans get annoyed at the genre transition. Not only that, Songs Of Faith And Devotion succeeded because it actually fell into the early 90s alternative ROCK landscape, they weren't some synthy band from the 80s trying to look relevant in the face of grunge, they actually looked and felt the part.

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Not really the right genre. Easy listening music?

Plus, he was openly at odds with rock musicians. That presumably counts.

4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Other than The Monkees, I can't say any of those picks are particularly strong.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

About time The Doobie Brothers get in. That said, it is a “rock and roll” hall of fame, therefore a band of Thin Lizzy’s stature should be in way before the likes of Whitney Houston and The Notorious BIG. Oh, well....

bru87tr, Todd W., BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

We deify 60s artists who were only around for 2-3 years, so what's the difference? For someone who only made 2 albums and was only famous for 2 1/2 years in life to still be as popular as Biggie is in 2020 is enough reason to make the case for him.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I could maybe see Sinatra as an Early Influence receiver as he predates rock and roll, but that's about it

8. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

The fact that the Hall inducts artists having nothing to do with rock doesn't eliminate the argument that people like Whitney aren't rock, it simply makes the Hall itself the locus of the argument.

Tord and blivet like this.
  9. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Oh, please. Whitney Houston is more first-year-inductee Sam Cooke than she is Barbara Streisand.

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah. It's kind of a stretch, but considering his popularity I don't think it would be crazy if he was already there.

11. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Sure and why not put Iron Maiden in the jazz Hall of Fame too while we're at it...

Tord, bru87tr, LarryP and 3 others like this.
  13. Not an exact comparison of course, and Houston did skew a bit younger with the sort of bouncy pop hits Babs didn't do, but overall both were purveyors of safe MOR pop and balladry that appealed to the over-30 set. Recall that a big chunk of Houston's original audience were yuppies, who could use her albums to show off the capabilities of their newfangled CD players...

Erik B. likes this.
  14. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Terrible list. They could have chosen the complete opposite from their initial list (without Dave Matthews Band) and been better off:

Pat Benatar, Soundgarden, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Motörhead, Todd Rundgren, Kraftwerk, MC5.

Only happy for T Rex, and even then there is a band that had more influence on glam and gender bending IMO, one of the most influential groups of the 1960's that laid groundwork for the biggest rock bands already in. In fact if someone chose the top 10 most influential rock bands post 50's then I bet more than half have acknowledged being influenced by them, or in the case of Pete Townshend, were influenced but won't admit it.

THE PRETTY THINGS:

-Possibly the hardest punkiest band of the class of 1964.
    -Created the first linear story concept album before Tommy.
    -Had a big hand in formation of punk, metal/glam and psychedelia/prog rock.
    -Huge in the presentation/lifestyle of rock bands, longest of the long hairs.
    -Was worshipped by David Bowie (the frontman was in his little black book as God)
    -Turned down Mr. Tambourine Man, earned Dylan's respect and when he went electric he visited the band and immortalized them on Tombstone Blues.
    -Had 2 records in fan Joey Ramone's 60 something limited vinyl collection, Joey: “The Pretty Things’ were the biggest influence on us."
    -Was a big part of the musical upbringing of members of Sex Pistols and The Clash (who elude to them in Hammersmith...)
    -Was the first band signed by Page/Plant's Swan Song label due to respect.
    -Acknowledged by David Gilmour as creating the album that directly inspired Dark Side of the Moon.
    -Scared Mick Jagger so much he purposely thwarted their TV appearances.
    -Had a drummer crazier than Keith Moon whom he was in competition with.
    -Is there a reason Alice Cooper's first album is called Pretties for You? Hmmmm.
    -Also greatly influenced The Easybeats, Van Morrison, Protocol Harum, Aerosmith & White Stripes amongst others.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Stormrider77, aroney and Paper Wizard like this.
  15. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I'd be curious to see if, in the history of this forum, anyone has ever previously made the argument that Whitney Houston played a significant role in the history of rock music.

I'd doubt it, because we're reasonable people. And no reasonable person would ever make such a ludicrous argument.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Actually I think TC probably did just as well, if not better than Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. SFIJ went to #1 but dropped off the charts in record time. Only "Thank U" made any chart impression off the album, "Unsent" was played for about two weeks on MTV/VH1 and was forgotten. True Colors and Junkie both sold 2 million in the US (but TC dropped off from 6 million compared to Alanis losing 13-14 million) but I'd say TC had more success on the singles chart. SFIJ was as big a sophomore slump as Hootie's second album. And let me preface that I actually think Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is a superior album to Jagged Little Pill, but the dropoff into irrelevance that album had was baffling and I'd say performed lesser than Cyndi's followup. She did have one more hit in 2002, but the album which debuted at #1 fell off even faster than SFIJ did. Plus, the impact JLP made was pushed aside the moment Spice Girls hit and it all became about sexy bouncy TRL friendly blonde pop stars that rendered Alanis and co. as obsolete as grunge did to Poison.

Again, there are artists in the Hall who have accomplished less, and IMO if "When A Man Loves A Woman" alone merits an induction, I'd say the enduring popularity (both way higher streams than any Madonna classic) of both "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and "Time After Time" at least make Cyndi a minor consideration, especially given she has gotten somewhat of a boost because of the Broadway success she scored with Kinky Boots as well as the attention she's gotten for her work with LGBT rights, etc..., being the type who actually dared go on Queer As Folk while others simply went on the more mainstream-friendly Will And Grace.

I am seeing Alanis in July so I'm not a "hater" by any means, but like Cyndi, she's forever linked to one moment in time and never could live up to the hype people predicted for her

17. Aw, c'mon. The idea of a rock and roll hall of fame is silly on its face, but who gets in is fun for the sort of rock music geeks who hang around here to argue about.

blivet, troggy and Tristero like this.
  18. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

You've obviously never listened to Captain and Me for starters, and the fact that you wrongly equated their entire output as "yacht rock" tells us all we need to know. Your dislike of a style or form of music or a particular band doesn't disqualify a highly successful band (a band that incorporated many music influences) from deserving the Hall, a band far more deserving than a good chunk of what has already been inducted.

Stormrider77, bru87tr, aroney and 2 others like this.
  19. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Fingers crossed that Joy Division gets into the Barbershop Quartet HOF, and the MC5 get the nod from the Stamp Collector's HOF.

Because they deserve some love, and it would make as much sense as Biggie and Whitney being in the Rock HOF.

Fusionfan likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

I'll agree that the Monkees are the most logical and viable 60s candidate. I retract my statement that zero 60s artists have been screwed! :D

Not that I'm 100% sure the Monkees really deserve it, but I've come around over the years to see them as a pretty good case...

Zoot Marimba and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The Doobies are long long overdue and congrats to them! They had been eligible since 1996!!!

Shocked that Pat Benatar did not get in, I think she was also neck and neck in the "fan voting"!

bru87tr and 905 like this.
  22. Oatsdad

But I don't think there's any real rock influence from Sinatra. The early influences they've chosen have tended to be blues or country, whereas Sinatra's style showed no obvious influence...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Don't care about the RRHOF but I just wanted to say Greg Kihn is awesome. Tommy Tutone too.

24. Wingsfan2012

Houston and Big are far away from Rock and Roll but oh well...…………..at this point it should be called the "popular music" hall of fame...……...

bru87tr likes this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

I have heard Kihn is a bit like Steve Miller, very outspoken about the whole R&R HOF process!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.