Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

You got a problem Mr Emoji?

2. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

Blah,Blah Blah. Blah Blah,Blah

3. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Because it's the "Rock" Hall of Fame, I'm going to say "neither"

Tord and Fusionfan like this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

TY SEGALL maybe?

Kevin j likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

It’s the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

So what is the most popular rock vocal influence on female vocalists recording in the style, then? If they're not influenced by Whitney, at all (despite evidence to the contrary), who are the other major influences on female artists in the past thirty years?

Jmac1979 likes this.
  7. Paul Westerberg. He could then do a rousing rendition of "20th Century Boy".

notesfrom and Clean Demon Jim like this.
  8. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i keep thinking of what i heard chuck d say on the radio about being in the RR hof, to paraphrase he didnt care he said he feels when you are in the RR hof it means your career is over or declining and its the hall of has been.

9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Would have been better to keep T Rex and shorten the snubbed list to this induction group:

Pat Benatar
    Judas Priest
    Motörhead
    Kraftwerk
    MC5
    T Rex

bru87tr likes this.
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

The only legitimate argument people could use for Whitney is that she was a puppet of Clive Davis, but then again, wasn't that the argument with Motown before Stevie and Marvin a decade into their careers broke free of Gordy's tyranny? Whereas Madonna, Donna Summer, Janet, etc... actually wrote songs and had more of a say in the direction of their music, Whitney was mostly Clive's prized pupil, and the one time she actually did try to take charge (when she decided to try and skew more to a younger hipper r&b crowd and less towards the AC ballads), the album "only" sold 4 million following a 10 and 14 million seller, so she went back to the old guard with The Bodyguard.

Still nonetheless, she was one of the biggest music superstars of the 80s and 90s and the fact that her popularity remains eight years after her death I think has officially cemented Whitney's status as a musical legend and whether you liked her music or not, her success and endurance can't be denied.

11. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

I love the knucklehead posts where a person's hate or dislike of a band equates to their view that band or artist doesn't deserve to be in the Rock HOF. The inability to remove bias and weigh objective facts and reality is amazingly pervasive.

BeatleJWOL and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

I've been a RRHOF supporter, past-original member and current complainer.
    They've lost their way. Whitney is a pop star, B.I.G. wasn't "big" enuff (sic!)
    Sure, hardly anybody is as influential as the first couple of classes, so it's hard to gauge when this year's inductees seem so lightweight.
    I'm glad T-Rex is getting in, but that may be it. Agree with some of the banter here on the dissing of Todd.
    Sadly, there are too many other artists, led by Procol Harum, who's influence will be forgotten now that the voting group has gotten younger.

13. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Yeah, you just don't get it. Maybe you should listen to the early inductees before deciding that Slayer have more in common with them than Whitney Houston does.

Synthfreek, Zoot Marimba and Jmac1979 like this.
  14. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I’m happy NIN is in! One of the greatest and most influential groups (well, mainly Trent Reznor) of all time.

BeatleJWOL and Szeppelin75 like this.
  15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Pink Floyd in 1996, The Cure in 2019, and now Depeche Mode in 2020.

Maybe this honor means something, maybe it doesn't, but I'm happy to see my childhood favorites get in.

BeatleJWOL and remover like this.
  16. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

You know that rock is dead when the hall commemorating rock is afraid to put too much rock in because they won't sell enough tickets.

blivet, Szeppelin75 and savemenow like this.
  17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

No surprise, a spate of threads have opened up lately proclaiming 2ndary albums as masterpieces.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I would not say iconic but I would say musically adaptable and a very good band. Long overdue! Tom Johnston and Michael McDonald are the stars and Pat Simmons the glue!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Chuck D would know about being a has been very well!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. Anyway. On a positive note, it's nice to see Depeche Mode finally get in - they've long been on my Top 10 Snubs/Overlooked Acts list. That still leaves Judas Priest, Kraftwerk, the New York Dolls, Motorhead, and a handful of others...

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. Say It Right

It is timed perfectly with them all on board for that 50th Anniversary tour.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  22. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

It's time for the Annual Complain About the R&R HOF, and this year we have three nominees who never produced Rock and Roll.

23. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I wish I cared. At one time I did. But then it dawned on me, why do We need this kind of phony validation for our favorite artists? After actually visiting the hall a few years ago, I realized just how phony it is.

24. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Whitney wasn't remotely a rock artist. It's very simple.

bru87tr, Wingsfan2012 and savemenow like this.
  25. Say It Right

They get in...after Josie and The Pussycats.

ARK, Foreign Object and Trace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.