Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Agreed. There was a time decades ago when visiting the R&RHOF was on my bucket list. That was a long time ago. Now, I wouldn't pay city bus fare across town to go.

Fusionfan likes this.
  2. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Yes, I just 'don't get' that Whitney Houston is magically transformed into a rock artist while actual hard rock and metal bands are somehow not rock artists.

It's probably because I know what reality is outside of a PR campaign from an American private entity i.e. the Rolling Stone Rock Hall.

bru87tr and warewolf95 like this.
  3. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

ok, Whitney and Biggie, who is #3?

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I think some folks just aren't bright enough to recognize humor or sarcasm. Sad but true....

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

the weakest class ever?

I am glad for the Doobies, who I like...and T. Rex.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd go just to leave a mess in the bathroom and clog a toilet. To hell with that place. No respect for heavy rock/metal artists. Mumbling over old Herb Alpert records is more respected than playing a musical instrument. HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY?!??! AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE RULES?!!!!?

8. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I like the idea of the hall as a museum that celebrates the history of rock and roll, but our culture's childish obsession with awards needs to end.

9. I have always enjoyed Whitney's unreleased Buckethead/Living Colour sessions "Shangle My Jangle" Nice acoustic version of the O'Jays' "For the Love of Money" that really shows Whitney's power and range. Vernon and Buckethead lay down some serious sonic wreckage on "Galumb" , Whitney does great wordless vocals atop. Skillings and Calhoun lay down such a nice muscular "thunk" across all the tracks it really makes one wish Whitney had done more funk and less bloat. It ends with a real nice original "If Only" Whitney really soars, great voices aren't common and shouldn't be wasted.

ARK and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

It is mostly tedious because "classic rock" is always the reference point. I actually have less difficulty with Biggie than Whitney because rock - not "classic rock", mind you - had *some* influence on him and seemingly none on her.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Whether one likes Whitney Houston or not... if you're going to blame anyone, blame the millions upon millions who paid for her music over the decades. Those are the people who got her in. With very very few exceptions, the Hall is always going to recognize artists who were massively successful vs. someone who sold 100,000 albums. People obsess about the "rock and roll" part of it, but the real part we need to look at is "Hall Of FAME". FAME FAME FAME. Whitney Houston had that in spades, as do 95% of the acts in the Hall

12. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I'm all in for Dinah Shore in 2021.

Vinny123 likes this.
  13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Well said, averica. That pretty much sums the whole thing up for me.

14. Daniel Plainview

She'll have to wait. They've got to induct Kriss Kross and Color Me Badd first.

bru87tr likes this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yea.... two acts who were hot for the cycle of one album is really comparable to Whitney being one of the biggest selling female artists of all time and having two albums sell more than 14 million copies in the US alone.

Cher or Barbra Streisand are better "ok, then put them in next" examples, especially Cher given she actually did dabble in rock music in the 1980s

16. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

So if Miles Davis were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, we should blame those who bought his records, not people in the Hall placing him there hypothetically were they to do something so incoherent and ridiculous.

If Iron Maiden were inducted into the Jazz Music Hall of Fame, blame the people who bought their records, not the specific Hall people responsible for making the hypothetical induction happen.

It appears that only the 'Rock" hall is subject to radical genre revisionism.

Tord likes this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Their calling the cops, man...

DavidD and Daniel Plainview like this.
  18. They'll have to wait for Andy Williams and Dionne Warwick.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

To be honest with you, the inductees just aren't that good this year.

DavidD, warewolf95 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

What Whitney sold is irrelevant given that she has no relation to rock music and this is a rock hall. You're right that Cher actually did dabble in some rock unlike Whitney and yet Cher is also still a ridiculous choice for a rock hall (which hasn't inducted bands like King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc).

Englebert Humperdink also has sold a lot of records. Does he belong in a rock hall? Why would you even think that merely selling albums qualifies someone to be in a genre specific hall of fame?

bru87tr likes this.
  21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

for the bazillionth time, even the first RNRHOF ceremony in 1986 inducted artists who don't fall into this narrow "rock is Zeppelin, rock is Sabbath, rock is AC/DC, rock is Guns N Roses" mindset. It's never been exclusively place to honor guitar gods but it's only when the artists stop coming out of the 50s and 60s that anyone actually cares about how little you're going to encounter their music on a classic rock station.

22. Daniel Plainview

I'm fine with Whitney. I'm fine with all these acts getting in. IN DUE TIME. But you've got all sorts of great acts still riding the pine. Priest. Maiden. Nilsson. Beefheart. Motorhead. Uh... Juice Newton...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    bru87tr and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This is just flat out wrong.

Rock Hall president and CEO Greg Harris agrees there's a certain subjectivity to the process. Harris, who spent 14 years at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum where he "advanced from curating the Hall of Fame Library and Archives broadcast collection to serving as vice president of development," according to his Rock Hall bio, explains why the process is much different than that of sports hall of fames.

"It's not based on record sales," he says from his office at the Rock Hall one recent afternoon. "If you think about it, if it were based on record sales, the Velvet Underground and the Stooges would not be here, but clearly they belong here. You could say that for other bands as well."

24. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Which non-rock acts have been inducted? I can only think of Miles Davis and Joan Baez. Even Johnny Cash is close enough.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. I don't think most of non-rock inductees would be a problem if the Hall was felt to be doing right by rock'n'roll. But there are too many petty Wenner snubs that it hurts overall credibility.

BeatleJWOL and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.