Bands Who Had Members Who Swapped Main Instruments

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by side3, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday Thread Starter

I was thinking about the Raspberries. On their first album (Raspberries), Eric Carmen played bass while David Smalley played rhythm guitar. By the second album, Fresh, Eric Carmen had switched to play rhythm guitar while David Smalley was now on bass.

I can think of a couple other bands where something like this happened. I have seen a post similar to this, but I am not looking at a member who switched because someone left (say Paul McCartney taking up bass when Stuart Sutcliffe left The Beatles), but members who swapped duties.

Anyone else know of any others?

mark winstanley and wellhamsrus like this.
  2. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

David Crosby went from bass to rhythm guitar in The Byrds.

DTK and Fullbug like this.
  3. Canuck rock-pop act Sloan are known for regularly swapping instruments amongst themselves.

4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Out of Time/Automatic for the People era R.E.M. saw this happen quite a bit. Live, Sloan members swap out instruments quite a bit.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Steven Drozd of The Flaming Lips swapped drums for...
    well, ...EVERYTHING!

6. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Sebadoh (now it's just Lou and Jason doing it, but when Eric was in the band all three guys swapped instruments)

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  7. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

The Band would swap instruments on stage.

8. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Sloan.

and they’re still doing it!

mschrist, kouzie, finslaw and 3 others like this.
  9. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

• Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band: Rockette Morton move from bass to guitar during the Clear Spot period.
    • The Rolling Stones: Brian Jones went from guitarist to utility player during the 66-67 period. And of course the occasions where someone else would fill in on bass.
    • The Mothers Of Invention/Zappa: Ian Underwood Would alternate between winds and keyboards depending on the occasion and era.
    • King Crimson: Bill Reiflin moved from center drummer to full time keyboardist in 2016. And of course Ian MacDonald would alternate between winds/keys/guitar, Fripp between guitar and Mellotron, and Tony Levin between bass/Chapman Stick/synthesizer.

11. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Lol Tolhurst from The Cure moved from drums to keyboards.

EDIT: but now that I reread your post, I don't think that's what you're asking. Sorry.

12. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Stooges. Ron Asheton moved to Bass when James Williamson joined.

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yes! Forgot that one (shows what kind of Stooges fan I am)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Chris Hillman -guitar to bass in Flying Burrito Bros
    Gene Clark- tambourine to guitar in Byrds( counting reunions album) although you could argue he played guitar originally before Crosby talked him out
    Chris Dreja- R guitar to bass in Yardbirds
    Jimmy Page- bass to guitar in Yarbirds
    Phil Collins- drums to vocals/drums in Genesis

15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Steve Winwood, Traffic and solo, played keyboards and lead guitar (+ bass & drums some of his own records).

DTK likes this.
  16. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I'm not sure if they still do but years back ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead used to swap instruments quite a bit during shows.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Whenever The Clash performed The Guns of Brixton, Paul Simonon would switch instruments with Joe Strummer (Paul on rhythm guitar and Joe on bass). Which was always a hoot, since Paul was taller than Joe & his bass would hang down around Joe's knees.

18. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

So did the beta band

CrombyMouse likes this.
  19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

So did Metallica. It's quite the little showstopper. Not sure if they still do it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident

U2 when performing the song "40" in the early days would have Edge switch to bass and Adam switch to guitar. I wonder if they still do it that way.

ponkine likes this.
  21. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

Pete Sears and David Frieberg of Jefferson Starship traded 0ff bass and keyboard duties.

carlwm and Fischman like this.
  22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Pretty sure I've seen live footage of Edgar Winter swapping instruments several times during the same song. Was is Frankenstein?

Robert Wyatt switched from drums to keyboards, due to his accident.

izgoblin and DTK like this.
  23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Tom Evans of Badfinger switched from rhythm guitar to bass.

24. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Field Music do it all the time during live shows, David Brewis and his brother Peter alternative between drums and guitar (and lead vocals too).

25. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

First band I thought of. For those who don't know, all 4 members write and sing. During live shows drummer Andrew Scott will come out from behind his kit and strap on a guitar while bassist Chris Murphy moves behind the kit and guitarist Jay Ferguson moves to bass. Only guitar player Patrick Pentland stays on his primary instrument during their shows.

Blackie Lawless of WASP moved from bass to guitar a couple albums into their career.

On Lodger David Bowie had musicians swap instruments on Boys Keep Swinging. I believe drummer Dennis Davis went to bass and guitarist Carlos Alomar went to drums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.