Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Ah... see that’s where the problem is.

I doubt the committee would want fans to have that much of an impact, but something like the top 2 or 3 vote getters should be an instant lock... Well then, time to wake up from that dream...

2. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

The other thing that rarely gets mentioned is the absurd bias toward American acts.

To not have artists like Joy Division, Kraftwerk, the Jam or Iron Maiden inducted only makes sense when you consider the myopic LA viewpoint that birthed it.

Wenner and his pals hated punk, metal or anything that didn't conform with their Laurel Canyon-centric view of what rock was.

And it continues to show up to this day.

Zoot Marimba and newelectricmuse like this.
  3. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

England is more than capable of opening their own RARHOF

DavidD and Oatsdad like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

T. Rex were very rock 'n' roll. They nicked plenty of riffs from it! Stray Cats are amazing. I'd love to see them more recognised.

zen likes this.
  5. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The big issue, from my perspective, is the insistence of using the rock radio format as interchangeable with the term Rock & Roll, instead of accurately describing it as a subgenre of rock & roll. If you want to consider Whitney and Biggie “roll” instead of “rock,” maybe that will help.

Including only acts that are part of a rock radio format narrows the hall down to a bunch of white dudes playing guitar, which manages to whitewash Rock & Roll into something that was created by men and women of color and would only acknowledge the white guys that came along after as heirs to the legacy.

Aretha Franklin ——> Whitney Houston is as obvious a throughline as Rolling Stones ——- Nine Inch Nails.

6. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Good point how is Whitney in and not Dionne Warwick...………..

7. BroJB

The music belongs to everyone.

We have enough tribalism on this planet.

8. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I suspect had she won the fan vote outright, instead of the Dave Matthews Band, she would have gotten in.

9. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

100%.

Rock is a worldwide genre and the American hall has always been very uncomfortable with that. Japan and Germany are the 2nd and 3rd biggest music markets in the world. If you add the rest of Europe to Germany, it's the biggest music market in the world and metal, hard rock and prog still matter in these markets far more in many ways than they do in the US just to take a few obvious examples. Excluding all these genres seems absurd on its face in these areas.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  10. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

I did not, so I don't know why you're quoting my post. Perhaps you should read more carefully. Or, you could stop with the snarky trolling.

11. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

So when does Ministry and Can get inducted?

12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Not only that but I don't think a lot of the "if it doesn't RAWK, it's garbage" people realize they're the ones who probably have pushed guitar based rock to the point of irrelevance it lays today. Rock and hip hop coexisted fairly well into the 90s but these people detest evolution and by constantly telling teens and 20-somethings (even 30-somethings) that the hip hop music they listen to is garbage and they're just going through a phase before they wake up one day and discover Ram Jam has actually pushed younger people away from the genre because they now associate it with their uncle stuck in a time warp and by consistently telling them the music that matters to them is trash is not the way to make a 17 year old want to discover some great album recorded 30 years before he was born, because the closedmindedness to their music has made them resentful and indifferent at best.

DavidD, Zoot Marimba and KJTC like this.
  13. BroJB

I can only imagine Jann Wenner, reading this thread while sitting in his jewel encrusted office, counting his RRHOF t shirt money and rubbing his hands in glee.

"Yes! They're still actually taking this thing seriously! BWAHAHAHA! JANN WINS AGAIN!"

Fusionfan likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - a Rock Hall of Fame thread that focuses 99% on the name and who's "rock enough"!!!

What a revelation! :sigh:

DesertHermit and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The Hall didn’t do a great job of recognizing the women from that era. If Lesley Gore, Connie Francis and Dionne Warwick were in there alongside Everly Brothers, Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, and Bobby Darin, there would be less controversy today about the newer artists who have gone in.

16. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Oh, I see the problem. You have an erroneously narrow definition of rock 'n' roll. Thanks for clearing that up.

KJTC likes this.
  17. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

It has nothing to do with race. 'White guys playing the guitar' used as some sort of slur should be seen for the abject rhetorical move that it is. Iron Maiden don't belong in the Jazz Hall of Fame but it isn't because they are white.

Whitney Houston and Biggie have nothing to do with rock, rock and roll, metal, prog, punk...whatever genre of rock.

18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Dionne threw away all credibility with the Psychic Friends Network. Whitney may have been a trainwreck but she was never a punchline.

I think the infomercials also have probably kept Cher out longer than they should. Since IMO Cher would make more sense than Barbra Streisand if only for the fact she has actually taken interest in rock music in different stages of her career (marrying and doing an album with Gregg Allman, doing the Pat Benatar/Heart inspired Black Rose band in the early 80s, and of course the AOR hits in the late 80s/early 90s)

Wingsfan2012, pghmusiclover and KJTC like this.
  19. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

My son wouldn’t go near most contemporary rock, but has discovered quite a bit of classic rock through clever sampling in hip-hop and R&B records. Frank Ocean sampling “Hotel California” is a recent example.

20. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

So you are telling me Whitney Houston belongs to a definition of rock. Up until this voting, was she ever referenced as being a rock artist of any kind?

What it is is that unlike you, I think genres exclude things if the words are to have any meaning at all. The Baroque Music Hall of Fame shouldn't have Iron Maiden in it.

The problem here is that people like you think words can mean anything you want them to mean.

21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

There are too many people thinking what should not be included. Ice Cube was right about rap carrying the original rebellious spirit of Rock n Roll. I think there are more deserving Rap artists than biggie, including Cube himself.

This applies to Whitney as well but from the angle of a softer Pop/R&B standpoint.

Racism doesn't look good on old white guys. Just realize that "Rock n Roll" may have a much wider definition than what you subscribe too.

I may be wrong but isn't this the first year since fan voting started that the winner didn't get in? The last time I checked it was Dave Matthews.

lc1995, DavidD, Chris DeVoe and 3 others like this.
  23. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It has nothing to do with race, yet the only offshoots of rock and roll that are deemed worthy are the ones populated almost exclusively by white dudes? Despite Rock & Roll being founded by mostly black artists? Where did they all go?

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Whitney was much better than Cheryl Lynn or Evelyn King.

KJTC likes this.
  25. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

If you're a soul artist, you're a rock 'n' roll artist. Soul is a rock 'n' roll subgenre. Time-Life's ten volume History of Rock 'n' Roll video series devoted one whole volume to soul.

lc1995, DavidD, Zoot Marimba and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.