Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a good point, which I admit I didn't think of. I don't think Aretha's particularly rock 'n' roll but she had so much soul and blues. It's not easy to neatly define what is rock 'n' roll and what isn't, but the contribution and influence from black musicians and culture can't be overemphasised. It would be great if early pioneers like Louis Jordan and Big Joe Turner could be recognised.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

As acknowledged in the post above, I agree. Soul also has its roots around the same time as the birth of rock 'n' roll.

aphexj, Zoot Marimba and KJTC like this.
  3. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

You’re the one doing that by claiming the rock format is the same thing as rock & roll. It’s not.

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Never a punchline? Really? "Crack is whack" anyone? Her reality series with her beloved husband.

I think the thing that bugs me about her getting in is that since apparently the RRHOF can only select ONE female artist, this year it should have been Benatar. And I think Chaka (with or without Rufus) was deserving on all of her previous nominations.

DesertHermit and Witchy Woman like this.
  5. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

The fact that rock subsequently became a genre played by far more whites than blacks in North America doesn't give you license to change the genre by fiat so that you can have more blacks represented. It's no different that changing what country music or jazz is because there aren't 'enough' Asians in their halls of fame.

Black musicians in North America went into a lot of other areas and created wonderful music but it doesn't mean that they get a free pass into a genre-specific hall of fame because you want to see more blacks there.

The fact that some people even think this is an argument is sheer lunacy.

aroney likes this.
  6. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Nonsense. I never said Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin should define all rock music but they have much more to do with rock than Whitney Houston.

I am claiming that hard rock and other genres have been a huge part of rock for decades (sales, concerts, people who also call themselves rock musicians emulating them around the entire world) and yet are poorly represented in the Hall whereas loads of musicians who had nothing to do with rock at all are inducted with people like you making risible excuses for it.

It's truly amazing that there are people who are willing to argue that Whitney Houston belongs in a rock hall of fame of any kind more than bands who actually played rock around the world for decades.

aroney likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I take it that there are plenty of soul singers in the rock 'n' roll hall of fame? I hope so! If there isn't then I certainly don't think Whitney is worthy of being one of the first handful.

Etta James was very rock 'n' roll.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. zen

zen Senior Member

RANT from Pete Pardo....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

First inductees would have to be the Michael Stanley Band

rjp likes this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Not rock. Not deserving.

11. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

The most amazing thing about this thread is that so many life long rock fans have so many utterly divergent definitions of what rock actually is.

For me, it's somewhere between "must be dudes playing electric guitars' and "literally anything with a 4/4 beat".

But even I don't know at this point. Except that I know it when I hear it.

And Whitney, bless her talented soul, just ain't it.

Stormrider77 and Herman Schultz like this.
  12. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Your insistence that today’s rock radio formats encompass all that is rock & roll doesn’t hold water.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  13. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Do you think James Brown, Ray Charles, Al Green, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin are Rock 'n' Roll artists?

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

It's not that there are divergent views on what rock is, it's that there's a group of people who would make virtually all 20th century popular music in the Anglosphere 'rock' when it is convenient for whatever decision the 'Rock' Hall takes and in line with their own ideological agenda.

No history of rock, no encyclopedia, no wikipedia entry etc speaks of Biggie or Whitney Houston as being rock or even having anything beyond the faintest of connections to rock any more than anyone speaks of Iron Maiden having a connection to hip hop or r and b.

15. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Kraftwerk is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Chew on that while we debate the relative merits of Whitney Houston's induction.

Carry on....

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

not that it matters but.... no Guess Who? still? I move that they replace Billy Joel, retroactively instated and celebrated at every ceremony for the next five years.

17. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

No and they aren't. They have impacted some rock artists but they themselves are not rock artists. No one in his right mind would call James Brown or Al Green rock.

18. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Soul inductees include:
    • Ray Charles
    • Aretha Franklin
    • Sam Cooke
    • Fats Domino
    • Marvin Gaye
    • The Supremes
    • The Drifters
    • The Temptations
    • Stevie Wonder
    • Otis Redding
    • The Four Tops
    • Ike & Tina Turner
    • The Isley Brothers
    • Sly & The Family Stone
    • Etta James
    • Martha and the Vandellas
    • Al Green
    • The Shirelles
    • Gladys Knight & The Pips
    • Parliament-Funkadelic
    • The Jackson Five
    • The Staples Singers
    • Percy Sledge
    • The O’Jays
    • The Miracles
    • Bill Withers

BeatleJWOL and Man at C&A like this.
  19. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

That's not going to happen. The R&R Hall has tickets to sell to the ceremony, and HBO wants viewers. If they only induct the backlog of (debatably worthy) dinosaurs, only a small amount of people will give a damn. It's easy to see that the inductees cover a broad spectrum stylistically and generationally on purpose, this ensures the biggest attendance/viewership.

OF COURSE Kraftwerk deserves to be in before Depeche Mode and NIN, but the HOF knows Kraftwerk's not going to put asses in the seats. That said, DM and NIN are absolutely worthy inductees on their own merits.

20. Herman Schultz

Louis Jordan and Big Joe Turner are both in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

BeatleJWOL and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

What a huge majority of rock listeners actually think rock is does matter. Whitney Houston hasn't belonged on any kind of rock format and that spans the gamut from rockabilly, metal, prog, punk, stoner rock, classic rock etc. It's not just about your classic rock strawman.

22. Terrapin Station

Streisand was big with a young demographic (though not the rock crowd) in the 70s and early 80s--she concentrated on more contemporary pop, occasionally even with funk touches. She was in a couple extremely popular films, including the 70s version of A Star Is Born, which was as popular, and with a similar demographic, as the recent Lady Gaga version. She did some disco stuff, she had a huge hit collaboration with Barry Gibb, etc.

She decided to stop concentrating so much on courting younger folks in the mid 80s, starting with The Broadway Album--that was a return to much more traditional material with the benefit of increasing her appeal to a more stable, older, affluent audience. Young demographics tend to be fickle.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What marvellous list of artists. The rock 'n' roll hall of fame is clearly incorporating soul so Whitney doesn't seem like such a strange inclusion in that context. I wouldn't say The Supremes and Gladys Knight and the Pips were any more rock 'n' roll and I love them dearly.

Still, why the hell are Motörhead not in?!

BeatleJWOL, Tristero and KJTC like this.
  24. Herman Schultz

I'd argue it's a more obvious throughline.

Man at C&A and KJTC like this.
  25. Terrapin Station

Umm, what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.