Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

You're not alone! I've yet to find anyone who doesn't find that passage very hammy. But the gangbusters ending redeems the performance: "A-me-Ri-CAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    I bet a bald eagle flew out of Elvis's mouth when he sang that.

When In Rome, Shawn, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It is the In Concert version apparently, I am not sure about edits, or overdubs I'm afraid.

RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  3. mark winstanley

4. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I'll need to pull out my set, but I'm pretty sure the version on Elvis Aron Presley is the single master, so no spoken intro.

RSteven, mark winstanley and DirkM like this.
  5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

For me, Elvis' recorded legacy basically sums up everything that I love about music.

Some of it is meaningful. Some of it is fun, disposable fluff. Some of it is life-affirming. Some of it is simply thrilling.

Some of it makes me happy when I listen to it. Some of it makes me less unhappy when I listen to it.

Some of it makes me sit up and think about what I'm hearing, and how it might relate to (or reflect upon) my life. Some of it is simply pleasurable to listen to.

There's not a single phase of Elvis' career that I would want to be without. Some are more consistently brilliant than others, but every era contains performances that resonate with me in one way or another, performances that I want to listen to over and over again. I doubt I'll ever find another artist that I love as much as Elvis, but that's fine with me: the recordings that he left behind are enough to last me a lifetime.

Ted Mooney, Gazza63, ZoSoUK and 14 others like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well done Shane and thanks for explaining the whole drug issues surrounding Elvis's voice in the last part of the 70's about as well as anybody ever has on this forum. Both you and @Revelator show that there are still examples when Elvis shows great power and range with his voice and right up to those last shows for Elvis In Concert. Elvis author Robert Matthew-Walker has also said that Elvis never really lost any of his great vocal range, right up to those last performances. Yes, his vocal ability could fluctuate dramatically and even day to day. Just listen to some of the range Elvis shows on Merry Christmas Baby in 1971 and compare it a another song from the same session on a slightly different day and you can hear a difference. No, Elvis's voice was not shot in 1977, and in many ways his actual vocal range and power were amazing for a 42 year old male singer, but clearly their were days when his pharmaceutical abuse affected his breathing as well as his overall vocal control dramatically. One needs to be able to notice the difference between those fluctuations in his vocal prowess to make an astute review of a particular song performance by Elvis.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Ted Mooney, JLGB, Tord and 6 others like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Once again, Dirk is able to say something so eloquently and beautiful that I will just highlight it, so other form members will be sure to take notice of it in the future. His statement simply and succinctly captures everything I feel about my love for the music Elvis made. I listen to new music almost every day in the great hope that I will one day find a voice or some music that touches me the same way Elvis's voice and music did so many year ago.

Ted Mooney, DirkM, GillyT and 2 others like this.
  8. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Perfectly stated DirkM! Whether someone is touched deeply by Elvis' music or they think he's overrated, no one can credibly deny the influence he brought upon popular music. To this day, his influence is felt throughout popular music. Elvis paved a road into uncharted musical wilderness that is a beacon and a warning. The beacon of his style and talent has inspired so many great and not so great musicians to make music. The way that he was ensnared and consumed by the fame and fortune is a cautionary tale to any entertainer that may find great success. Elvis has permanently left his mark on music and entertainment!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Reading these comments, this is the first time I really have ever even thought about why she left. I never construed it as anything sinister. But what if it was a misunderstanding, and he felt he needed to convey significant information to her that she truly didn't know?

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  10. This sums up my feelings as well. Brilliantly stated Dirk, one of the best posts (out of many, many contenders) in this series of threads.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  11. MarkTheShark

I remember this commercial, even down to the obviously redubbed "$7.98" price. I think it went up in price once Elvis died.

12. MarkTheShark

Oddly, I remember another commercial where the album shown was "Welcome To My World," but that was NOT the album they were selling in the ad. Does that ring any bells?

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

Reference Guide

May 2 1974

If You Talk In Your Sleep/ Help Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

July 1974
    Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 1 See See Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 2 I Got A Woman/ Amen Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 3 Love Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 4 Tryin' To Get To You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 5 Medley Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 6 Why Me Lord Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 7 How Great Thou Art Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 8 Blueberry Hill/ I Can't Stop Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 9 Help Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 10 An American Trilogy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 11 Let Me Be There Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    track 12 My Baby Left Me
    track 13 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    track 14 Can't Help Falling In Love

Oct 1 1974
    Promised Land/It's Midnight

Oct 1974
    Having Fun With Elvis On Stage

Jan 8 1975
    Promised Land

1 Promised Land
    2 There's A Honky Tonk Angel
    3 Help Me
    4 Mr Songman
    5 Love Song Of The Year
    6 It's Midnight
    7 Your Love's Been A Long Time Comin'
    8 If You Talk In Your Sleep
    9 Thinking About You
    10 You Asked Me To

Jan 1975
    My Boy/Thinking About You

Mar 1975
    Pure Gold

Apr 22 1975
    T-R-O-U-B-L-E/Mr Songman

May 7 1975
    Elvis Today

1 Trouble
    2 And I Love You So
    3 Susan When She Tried
    4 Woman Without Love
    5 Shake A Hand
    6 Pieces Of My Life
    7 Fairytale
    8 I Can Help
    9 Bringin' It Back
    10 Green Green Grass Of Home

Sep 24 1975
    Pieces Of My Life/Bringin' It Back Home

Dec 1975
    Double Dynamite

Jan 1976
    Legendary Performer vol 2

Harbor Lights
    Interview - Jay Thompson
    I Want you I Need You I Love You take 15
    Cane and a High Starched Collar
    Award Presentation thanks @ClausH
    Such A Night

Mar 21 1976
    The Sun Sessions

From Elvis Presley Blvd

1 Hurt
    2 Never Again
    3 Blue Eyes Cryin In The Rain
    4 Danny Boy
    5 The Last Farewell
    6 For The Heart
    7 Bitter They Are Harder They Fall
    8 Solitaire
    9 Love Coming Down
    10 I'll Never Fall In Love Again

Nov 1976
    Frankie and Johnny (Pickwick)

Nov 29 1976
    Moody Blue/ She Thinks I Still Care

Mar 1977
    Welcome To My World

June 6 1977
    Way Down/Pledging My Love

July 18 1977
    Moody Blue

1 Unchained Melody
    2 If You Love Me
    3 Little Darlin'
    4 He'll Have To Go
    5 Let Me Be There
    6 Way Down
    7 Pledging My Love
    8 Moody Blue
    9 She Thinks I Still Care
    10 It's Easy For You

The King Is Dead

Oct 3 1977
    Elvis In Concert

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6

Oct 28 1977
    My Way/ America The Beautiful

arriano, shanebrown and RSteven like this.
  15. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

"'Til we meet you again, may God bless you. Adios"[​IMG]

Ted Mooney, JLGB, Revelator and 6 others like this.
  16. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

Exactly, they are all (also the Close Up, Live In Las Vegas and Today Tomorrow And Forever box sets) around only 10-15€ for a boxset in the reissued format. An unbeatable price. That's why I bought the 50s/60s/70s sets in spite of having all the official albums before.

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Ahem . . . that routine which contained a cover of "Way Down" was originally aired in the UK on April 16, 1980.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Iceman08

Iceman08 Forum Resident

@Spencer R refers to in his great post above.

I agree with every single one of your fine points here as well. Elvis made it hip to do some cover songs in his live shows, and it is great to see so many pop and country artists doing the same thing now so many years later.[/QUOTE]

Already before Elvis artists covered songs live all the time. Little Richard performing Jerry Lee Lewis live. Jerry Lee Lewis covering Hank Williams live. Fats Domino covering Fats Waller live. The Beatles covering the Shirelles, Isley Brothers etc. live. Ella Fitzgerald covering Billie Holiday live, Mariah Carey covering Harry Nilsson and so on, whatever. They did this all the time- hip or not hip is a question of the audience, the listeners, the artists, the critic and so on.

mark winstanley, DirkM and RSteven like this.
  19. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I clearly remember where I was in 1977. I heard and saw it on Benny Hill. I was off to boarding school in 1978 through 1982 and TV was not allowed. So with due respect, I beg to differ. Also, it could have been another routine. Background music, BTW.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    mark winstanley likes this.
  20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The way Hill's shows were sliced and diced around the world, one can, I suppose, be forgiven for not knowing where certain sketches originally came from. Me, I have the DVD's of all his complete shows for Thames except the one he did in Australia . . .

mark winstanley and JLGB like this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I love bombast, schmaltz, sappy sentimentalism, over the top arrangements.
    Am I the only one here?

22. shrinksjp

shrinksjp Well-Known Member

Connie often recorded versions with double tracks and single tracks, and I always liked the singlr track versions better, with a few exceptions. She used it sparingly on My Happiness and Second Hand Love on different versions from the hit version.

Ted Mooney and Dave112 like this.
  23. mark winstanley

No, definitely not.
    It is apparently frowned upon by many on the forum, but apparently I love bombastic stuff quite a lot, schmaltz in regulated doses and sappy sentimentalism is a lifestyle requirement.

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My Boy and Mama liked the roses are TOP songs to me

25. mark winstanley

I love My Boy, I like Mama Liked the Roses

RSteven likes this.