"Sad Memory" Buffalo Springfield, one of the best ballads ever.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackson, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Never fully appreciated the band until the last 5 years or so. Richie's songs really started hitting me, and this was one of them. As someone else said, the sound (and feel) of it is perfect. Both box sets are treasures, what an exceptional band.

Hep Alien and Jackson like this.
  2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

All of the above is true, and it's still my least favorite track on the album. THAT'S how great Buffalo Springfield Again is. (I have a strange weak spot for Good Time Boy).

rockerreds and JuanTCB like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

richie furay tends to get overlooked when people speak of the buffalo springfield.

everyone knows stills and young, but when you mention furay you usually get a quizzical look, like "who?".

actually, i think more people would recognize messina than furay.

Damiano54, Hep Alien and Jackson like this.
  4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Recognize, yes. But in terms of Messina's actual contributions to Buffalo Springfield, they're limited to pulling Last Time Around together from bits and pieces, his work on "Kind Woman," and contributing the worst song they ever recorded (yes, I even like "Good Time Boy" better!).

Hep Alien and Syscrusher like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

interesting....i like 'carefree country day".

6. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

i've been saying that for years..always gets overlooked by Stills and Young tunes...which are great too,btw

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

'First Love' from the debut Poco album is another good ballad. Maybe completing a trilogy of 'Sad Memory', 'Kind Woman' and 'First Love'.

8. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Richie to me is "the sound of the Buffalo Springfield". His voice seems very "sixties" to me somehow. Gorgeous. And you can tell he really keyed into the most gorgeous of Neil's melodies and somehow wrangled himself the lead vocals on all of them.
    Thoughts on Richie Furray by...

Jackson, robargebl and Hep Alien like this.
  9. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Totally heartbreaking song. Pet Sounds level.

peachyg72 and Hep Alien like this.
  10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Love "Sad Memory" but I can never play "Merry Go Round" just once. Great tune!

11. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who really likes "The Hour Of Not Quite Rain." I'm a big fan of heavily orchestrated psychedelia in general, and I always thought it was one of the better examples of the genre.

12. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The whole album is criminally overlooked. One of the best 20 of the 60s I’d venture to say. I do have to admit it’s not my favorite track off the album, not even close, but either way it’s certainly one of those songs you just have to sit there and feel. It’s one of their best pure folk songs ever recorded. If you haven’t grabbed a copy of the 2019 mono reissue, get yourself a copy. It sounds killer and they only did 5,000 of them. All analog and only $20 still.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

"In The Hour of Not Quite Rain" is flat-out gorgeous.

Damiano54 likes this.
  14. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Props to Richie for taking this song on when Stephen and Neil had no interest in the band anymore. I've always thought it would be cool for someone to track down Micki Callen for an interview about her experience having had her poem chosen to put to music, and I wonder how much money she's made from it over the years.

Bob J and Hep Alien like this.
  15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm a fan of "In the Hour of Not Quite Rain" also, even though it has nothing to do with Buffalo Springfield (but that's true of other tracks on Last Time Around as well).

Beautifully composed, orchestrated and sung. I could never understand all the slagging it came in for.

Bob J likes this.
  16. Larry Geller

It was the result of a Buffalo Springfield contest, so it had SOMETHING to do with them.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. djblaze

djblaze Forum Resident

One of my favorites on Buffalo Springfield again… I look forward to it coming on every time I listen to that album. I imagine myself sitting or laying on a Hammock on a warm summer day… But then again the whole album has such a vibe to it.

Jackson likes this.
  18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I meant that musically, it had nothing to do with the group Buffalo Springfield. It's a Richie Furay solo vocal performance. No other members participate in any way.

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member Thread Starter

Not that it matters the least, but i'm curious as to where this album" Buffallo Springfield Again" or the other two rank on RS greatest rock albums of all time list, or as i like to call it " the Sgt. Pepper/Pet sounds list. I would take any one of the three BS albums over those, and many of the other that are revered by the rock press.

Bob J likes this.
  20. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Merry Go Round is fab... love Stills backup vocals too

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Larry Geller

Is Expecting To Fly Buffalo Springfield?

22. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Yes

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

To a greater degree than "In the Hour of Not Quite Rain," since Neil wrote both the words and music while a member and at a time when it was a functioning band that was recording as a functioning band.

If Richie had written they lyrics to "…Rain," then these two songs would be on equal footing.

My overall point was that this was far from the only song on Last Time Around that you have to squint in order to attribute to Buffalo Springfield. There's only one song on the entire album on which all five members play.

The origins of "In the Hour of Not Quite Rain" kind of put it in a special category even within this assessment. In the absence of the contest, it's a song that never even would have come into existence.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

It’s such a great song. Richie probably had the best voice in the group IMO, definitely one of my favorites from that album.

Jackson and Hep Alien like this.
  25. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Yes I love the song! Might even be my favorite from Last Time Around, that and Special Care. I love On The Way Home too. Richie had some great moments on this LP!

Bob J and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.