David Bowie upcoming release announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tingman, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident Thread Starter

DAVID BOWIE IS IT ANY WONDER? – STREAMING EP OF UNRELEASED & RARE MATERIAL

‘THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD’ (CHANGESNOWBOWIE VERSION) FIRST OF SIX TRACKS TO BE RELEASED OVER SIX WEEKS

CHANGESNOWBOWIE LIMITED EDITION NINE TRACK LP/CD OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MATERIAL TO BE ISSUED FOR RECORD STORE DAY 18th APRIL, 2020

8th January 2020 London

Parlophone Records is proud to announce DAVID BOWIE IS IT ANY WONDER? a six track EP of unreleased and rare tracks to be released over six weeks.

The first of these is a previously unreleased version of ‘The Man Who Sold The World’, released today as a streaming-only 1 track digital single in celebration of both David’s birthday and the 50th anniversary of the writing and recording of this classic. Five more songs will be released on a weekly basis from 17th January.

’THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD’ (CHANGESNOWBOWIE VERSION) is taken from the 9-track session ChangesNowBowie, recorded for radio and broadcast by the BBC on David’s 50th birthday on 8th January, 1997.

The broadcast featured an interview with David by Mary Anne Hobbs interspersed with specially recorded birthday messages and questions from the likes of Scott Walker, Damon Albarn, Bono, Robert Smith and many more.

This mostly acoustic session was a stripped back affair featuring some of David’s favourites of his own compositions and was produced by Bowie himself, Reeves Gabrels and Mark Plati.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE was recorded and mixed at Looking Glass Studios in New York in November 1996 during rehearsals for David’s 50th birthday concert at Madison Square Garden. Gail Ann Dorsey (bass, vocals), Reeves Gabrels (guitars) and Mark Plati (keyboards and programming) accompanied David on the recording.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE will be released in limited quantities on LP and CD for Record Store Day on 18th April, 2020. The cover art for the album will features a portrait of David by renowned photographer Albert Watson, taken in New York

omikron, Sean, phil.jp and 11 others like this.
  2. depe

depe Forum Resident

CHANGESNOWBOWIE

01. The Man Who Sold The World
    02. The Supermen
    03. Andy Warhol
    04. Repetition
    05. Lady Stardust
    06. White Light White Heat
    07. Shopping For Girls
    08. Quicksand
    09. Aladdin Sane

omikron, Sean, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I still have a tape of the original broadcast. An enjoyable session and interview.

I wonder how limited the cd release will be.

4. The Space Ace

The Space Ace Forum Resident

Awesome! I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on this.

5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Man Who Sold the World up on Spotify

6. deekmon

deekmon Amateur Audio Consumer

One of the tracks has been posted online, at pitchfork.com:

"The first offering from the EP, which you can hear below, is a version of “The Man Who Sold the World” that Bowie recorded with Gail Ann Dorsey, Reeves Gabrels, and Mark Plati in November 1996."

More info here:
    Rare and Unreleased David Bowie Songs Collected on New Album and EP

Cervelo, ziggytvs, supermd and 4 others like this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Someone posted a complete YT in the competing thread. I thought the interview segments were laying it on a bit thick, but he had a sales job to do.

But CNB is a great lineup of songs, and (so far, I've only listened to half) sound great.

8. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The Lady Stardust on here is sublime. It’s a good session. Curious how much better it will sound than the broadcasts already out there.

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Is it any wonder? Tracklist official or rumoured?

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would love it if the acoustic session is eventually part of a bigger set centred around the 50th birthday gig and the 96/97 tour.

12. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Another new track is soon to appear...

DAVID BOWIE IS IT ANY WONDER? STREAMING EP OF UNRELEASED & RARE MATERIAL

’I CAN’T READ ’97'’ (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED) AVAILABLE NOW

THE SECOND OF SIX TRACKS TO BE RELEASED OVER SIX WEEKS

Parlophone Records is proud to unveil ‘I CAN’T READ ‘97’, the second instalment of DAVID BOWIE’s IS IT ANY WONDER? EP of six unreleased and rare tracks being released once a week.

‘I CAN’T READ’ originally appeared on Tin Machine’s eponymous debut album in 1989, and was a staple in the band’s live set. In the autumn of 1996, during the mixing stages for Earthling, David re-recorded the track – which, at one stage, appeared on a mastered version of the album.

While the song’s second incarnation, ‘I CAN’T READ ‘97’, was David’s preferred solo version (the version available today), it was ultimately cut from Earthling and replaced at the last minute with ‘The Last Thing You Should Do’.

An alternative version, featuring minor chords and a darker sound for the chorus, was recorded for Ang Lee’s film The Ice Storm. The full length version appeared on a single in 1998, while an edit featured on the film’s soundtrack album in 1997, both released by VelVel Records.

‘I CAN’T READ ‘97’ written by David Bowie & Reeves Gabrels is produced by David Bowie, co-produced by Reeves Gabrels and Mark Plati, and mixed by Mark Plati. The track was recorded and mixed at Right Track Recording in New York and features Gail Ann Dorsey on bass and vocals, Mike Garson on piano, and Reeves Gabrels on guitar and vocals.

DAVID BOWIE ‘I CAN’T READ’97’ IS AVAILABLE TO STREAM NOW ON PARLOPHONE

13. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

I am trying to listen to this but to no avail. Not sure where it is "available to stream now"

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Should be available after midnight

TonyCzar likes this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Remember the old days where they didn't string these things out for no good reason? You know, they made a record and just released it.

Drip feeding these tracks on streaming platforms is actually worse than putting out a box set of 7" singles. What are the marketing folk over at Parlophone thinking? Bowie releases are getting increasingly weird and obtuse. I like I Can't Read as much as the next guy, but if you want me to listen to it just release the damn thing. This attention-grabbing nonsense is pathetic.

IMO. :D

16. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Similar to the ‘Ice Storm’ soundtrack version, but with the original chords from the Tin Machine recording and just like they did it on the Birthday Backstage version. I like it very much.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  17. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Sleepy version and very different of Earthling concept

18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The synth sounds don't work well on this version, but it's close to the Ice Storm version.
    Important missing ingredient - that was in the Tin Machine and 50th birthday version - is Andy's 15 minutes.

19. MHP

I especially like the synths on this version!

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I agree and can't be bothered with all this either. I'll probably buy the EP unless it's too expensive, which being RSD it almost definitely will be. I certainly won't be queuing up for it.

21. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

is this the "new" old version just released from Is It Any Wonder?

22. MHP

Yep.

Mother likes this.
  23. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

cool thanks MHP. Love your avatar

MHP likes this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

IK,R? I got stuff to DO. Let's go back to this sequence:

PR campaign: To be released in 9 weeks... [this thing]!!!
    TC: [Pulls trigger at Amazon.] [Doesn't think about it again until it arrives. ]

CBackley likes this.
  25. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I didn't entirely understand until now that the "ChangesNowBowie" and "Is It Any Wonder?" releases were totally distinct, but for the TMWSTW track. The press release last week was a bit confusing.

I'm thrilled at the prospect of truly unreleased '90s material coming out. I'm already getting a little hyped at the prospect of the Earthling-era versions of "Baby Universal" and "Bring Me the Disco King" finally surfacing.

CBackley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.