Most people watching cable tv, still watch non-Hi-Def

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by radickeyfan, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm a bit confused on what is considered SD vs HD channels seeing that most of my strip downed to $50/month Spectrum cable service features mostly what looks like SD channels like MeTV shown below of the shot taken of my 32in. Samsung 720p HDtv. Spectrum cable interface denotes true HD channels with the 'HD' letters at the end of the station call out letters for example...IONHD, CBSHD, etc., but not MeTV and other channels.

But Samsung's "Get Info" on ALL channels is 1080i. So which SD channels are we talking about here?

[​IMG]

Is this SD or HD content? There's no HD designation at the end of MeTV.

2. Tim Lookingbill

And here's 25 year old shot on film content of a Seinfeld episode shown on FoxHD channel.

[​IMG]

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Seinfeld episodes framed as 16:9 just seems wrong to me.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They actually worked very hard to create a balanced frame that still told the jokes pretty well. You can argue that you're losing some information at the bottom of the frame, but you're also gaining visual space on the sides:
    [​IMG]
    red = 4x3
    blue = new 16x9

5. Tim Lookingbill

What resolution do they scan the film of these old sitcoms? Whether it's for 4:3 or 16:9 doesn't bother me much as long as they don't introduce distortion like heads too tall or too wide like on David Mamet's "House Of Games" movie on DVD. I'm hoping the non-MGM restoration to Blu-Ray fixes that.

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I don't think that's it, I think that
    ...and on Crummycast they are not even shifted by 1000, it's shifted by 270 or some wacky thing. If you are really really noticing, and really quick, you can press OK or something to change to HD. I think that is a stretch for ordinary non-expert folks.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Indeed..... It looks unnatural and crappy... If people like that I guess its OK but I dont and wont ever!!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I wonder how many ppl are still watching cable on analog tube TVs?

9. Michael

LOL The Justice Channel stretches everything to the max to fit on WS TVs...

10. Tim Lookingbill

I get that also on certain programs but not all on the Justice Channel depending on whether the content was recorded on video in the late '90's. They also zoom the video crop to fit 16x9 but I have to wonder what aspect ratio they define for Widescreen. It appears it could be anything. Some DVD's have similar WS aspect ratio issues that distort the picture even though there's enough content in 4:3 to letterbox a crop properly without distortion.

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

all in all they suck at broadcasting, but they don't suck at making money...John should at least spend the time to make his broadcasts at the proper aspect ratio! very very annoying.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I have 3 TVs with cable boxes (the other TVs that don't, get watched rarely with just a signal converter box.) Of the 3 TVs with cable boxes, only the main TV in the living room is a big HDTV with an HD cable box hookup. The TV in the computer/family room is a 40" HDTV but only has a non-HD cable box hookup. The 3rd TV with cable hookup is in one of the bedrooms (hardly gets watched and mostly used for recording stuff,) and is a 19" analog tube TV with a non-HD cable box hookup. Even the other TVs in the house without any cable hookups are HDTVs. Once that 19" TV goes out (bought in 1996,) we will no longer have any analog tube TVs. At one time, of course, we had all analog tube TVs in the house but, one by one, they each got replaced by HDTVs when they went out, but not sooner.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

thanks I got a perspective from your answer...

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Indeed Mike.. CRTS are beautiful :)

15. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

:wave:

Michael likes this.
  16. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I mostly side with @Vaughan but you are certainly correct about this. Especially when it is so easy to cast content.

I pay $70 a month for internet and I already have Amazon Prime. More TV than I can watch and I'm retired.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  17. Michael

: ) gotcha!

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm watching MeTV right now on a 13" black and white TV from 1983 with an analog-to-digital converter box and over-the-air antenna hooked up to it.

Beat that. :)

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

:shh::wave:

Michael likes this.
  20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

They need to stop manufacturing SD products (dvds). It isn't like the switch/upgrade happened yesterday... And if you only use decades old tech, then too bad for you. HD tvs and blu-ray players are cheap. No excuse to keep manufacturing SD displays and delivery systems

21. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

DVD discs still outsell BR Discs ...last stat i saw was 60-40 ----though both are declining so rapidly , I can not imagine what the numbers will look like in 5 yrs

22. Michael

I figured I'd get some bites.

23. Michael

unbeatable!... winner!

scott palmiter likes this.
  24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

True black gets me everytime. If OLED screens get down to about 42" I'll probably switch.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

gotcha...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.