Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

Same here, I think side two really shines with the new mix and this is my go to version. And despite my initial cold-hearted attitude towards Come Together remix, I really enjoy it.
    Looking forward to LIB 2020 and of course Rubber Soul.

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

What I’m reminded of listening to Abbey Road's side two again is that the playing is immaculate from everyone.

The Wrecking Crew or whoever else are considered stone cold studio pro players couldn’t have a done a better job of it, and the Beatles generally don’t get that kind of respect as a recording ensemble, IMO.

PineBark, nikh33, vonwegen and 21 others like this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Totally. From everyone. And especially, I notice this time around, from Ringo. Perfect from end to end.

vonwegen, anth67, xj32 and 3 others like this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Just a George demo of All Things Must Pass.

5. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Especially George. He's all over this album songwriting moog etc and pretty much the lead guitarist again on every track

6. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yes, you're right. I stand corrected.

I was actually thinking of this version :

oboogie and anth67 like this.
  7. anth67

This is one of the two I've hybrided to create a nice band version (the other is the unfinished attempt just prior, with more aggressive harmonies). Mind-boggling they abandoned this song.

It's been suggested there's no properly recorded full band version to release, but if the Twickenham 'Blue Suede Shoes' was good enough (!), certainly seems this would be. As that song demonstrated, their tapes are still better than the boots.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    vonwegen and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Blue Suede Shoes was recorded at Apple.

nikh33 and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  9. anth67

Ok, thanks. On my Yellow Dog cd (from prior to the Anthologies), it's lumped in with Twickenham stuff and all implied to be the same session. Official release was a substantial upgrade on that song.

Lewisboogie and applejam101 like this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Abbey Road needed a 5.1 mix. Not sure it needed a remix as it’s very similar to the original mix.

mpayan, BeatleJWOL and RAJ717 like this.
  11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Amazing and true point Glenn....whatever BS was going on the summer of 1969, these guys at the top of their game could not be touched. Truly a 4 headed monster as Mick said!

12. Wingsfan2012

From the chart positions on the Billboard 200 it looks like the Abbey Road, White Album, and Sgt Pepper boxes were all Christmas gift ideas as expected!

Shaddam IV and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

The group attempts at All Things Must Pass in January 1969 have not seen a legit release as of yet...…………..

marklamb and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I am posting this here because I just read a quote from Linday-Hogg from last April and for some reason I had been under the impression that he had died a short time after he did an interview in which he spoke about an impending rerelease of Let It Be on DVD in 2005 or 2006! I am reading through my old posts but I just wanted to correct this if I said anything to this effect in earlier postings. He is still with us and is the son of Geraldine Fitzgerald. I blame it on the late nights!!!

applejam101 likes this.
  15. BeatlesObsessive

...have to say I like how the three variations of the Golden Slumbers lead vocal allow us to hear three different McCartney swings at the vocal on the song two of which are from the tracking sessions and it's just fascinating to hear how the different character of his voice is revealed at different points as opposed to the powerful stagy version we all know and love.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  16. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Not sure how you listen to that mix and think it is very similar to the original mix.
    I'm not 100% sure of it was needed, but the balance between the instruments on almost every track is significant.

17. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I agree with this 100% and I think the outtakes really support this. I can't believe how great the takes that aren't quite "there" yet have such a great feel. There are parts of the "Polythene Pam"/"Bathroom Window" outtake that just are such an example of what I think a great band 'going at it' should sound like.

18. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Together or individually, they never played so well as they did on Abbey Road. I've heard the Long One without vocals it's just incredible.

19. Wingsfan2012

I have yet to play the 5.1 mix yet from the box set, might get a chance this weekend!

BeatlesObsessive and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Do it soon ! I don't think you will be dissapointed.

21. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Agreed. I love the remix and the extras, but the 5.1 was the unexpected highlight for me.

BeatlesObsessive and boggs like this.
  22. BeatlesObsessive

I think it's personal. For Lennon or Harrison to have their notable tracks from early in their career "Beatleize" might encourage hardcore fans to slip some songs back over the border of the breakup and perhaps erase an important distinction for the estates. They are cheering the Beatles as a part of history but that short window from 70 to 74 when Lennon and Harrison(and Ringo!) had successfully emerged by their choice from Beatledom to successful solo careers held in higher regard than McCartney or his vision IS the most important part of the story for Olivia and Yoko. Let It Be might be excepted because it will provide visual images of each member composing and arranging these songs and the promotion of the rerelease will give them ample opportunity to point out how great each individual was, but Abbey Road plays out as it plays every time we an idealized vision of the Beatles in seamless unity of purpose... and adding takes of early solo classics to this set would have been problematic! Even "Come & Get It" can seem more like a Beatle song that got away than Badfinger's breakthrough!

23. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I love the rally heavy low rumble towards the end of IWYSSH in the 5.1 version. Never noticed it in the stereo version. You can really feel it. Fantastic.

Hymie the Robot and boggs like this.
  24. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

YES ! It is there on the original vinyl, but very subdued. But hearing this on the 5.1 was a great surprise ! I had to pull out the vinyl to see if it was really there in the first place, as I missed it all these years.

25. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Love Abbey Road in Dolby Atmos. Like WOW! :D
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.