Bands that fell off

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ColeB24, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

To be honest I wouldn't call "Muswell Hillbillies" a significant "tangible shift". With the Kinks it's mostly a metamorphosis, "Lola" also sounds significantly different to "Arthur". Which again doesn't sound like "Village Green Preservation Society". In fact it's pretty hard to say where The Kinks actually did fall of. In 2019 I'd argue it wasn't until they left Arista and released "Think Visual".

Even though I can understand anybody not into the RCA albums from 1972 onwards. But "Muswell Hillbillies"? Stone cold classic as far as I am concerned. :righton:

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I won't argue it's not a classic. But I'd suggest the previous records are more uniquely Kinks music, progressing organically however different each may be. Muswell (opening cut the most notable exception) is largely a genre they're deliberately inhabiting, namely a raucous approximation of southern Americana. They're having fun, rocking hard, and with some typically great lyrics (Acute Schizophrenia not included, as someone dear to me has suffered acute s., and Ray's lyrics don't ring true). But to my ear it's more a deliberate departure than natural progression from Lola. If you hear it differently, that's cool.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Streetwalkers: Red Card >>>> Vicious But Fair

One of the most disastrous unforced line up changes of all time saw them go almost overnight from Next Big Thing to a whole lotta meh. It was ultimately good news for Iron Maiden though.

4. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Simple Minds from New Gold Dream to Sparkle In The Rain.

They have made some decent albums since but nothing to match the first 5.

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

No, no, no...you know exactly what I mean. Big drop off from first to second. Don’t be coy.

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

For me, not compared to Green Mind. Plus when you put two songs back to back that are exactly the same (Get Me & Drawings) it says a laziness has come around. As for Sonic Youth, their songwriting took a non-melodic turn for me. I know that's where they came from. I like their early stuff. It's not great songwriting but to sound like that over ten years later didn't float my boat. For The Kinks, I don't care for americana sounding stuff. There are songs I like on there but compared to the previous one, Lola (my favorite Kinks album), the songs didn't hold up just like Dinosaur Jr. Husker's songwriting took a dive on CAG after their previous, Flip Your Wig. As you can see, for me to say this, it's because the previous album was a favorite or a highlight for me.

7. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

That live album, Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar Gas actually came out after Win Lose Or Draw, in 1976, as a way for Capricorn Records to make some bucks off a new ABB release, since the hand had broken up for the 1st time by then.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

If you want to say the album is similar to the first one which is the only reason the "bandwagon " exists people jump on to critique it that is fine. The album is fantastic..the rhythm section of brothers is masterful and greg lake still did vocals beautifully despite not adding many bass parts. The b side groon is astonishing from a drumming standpoint. Even gordon Haskel does a better job on the beautiful cadence and cascadence than the greg lake version.

9. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Ok. You changed my mind. It’s a better album than In The Court. What was I thinking? Seriously, what was I smoking when I wrote that? Embarrassed.

10. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I thought about my post afterwards and felt I wanted to give more info on Husker Du. Hart had two of his best songs on there, no question. His other two to me are good (Dead Set On Destruction, though it's no great piece of songwriting) to alright (No Promise Have I Made, though I love the fade out). I was always more of a Mould fan and it's his songs that lower the bar of this record. There is a wide gap between his best stuff (Hardly Getting Over It) and the rest. Crystal & All This I've Done For You are like having a friend you know then one day he's babbling incoherently and you can't understand what he's on about. The end of All This is great though. I always like Eiffel Tower High but, again, no great piece of songwriting. I loved Too Far Down when I was a teenager but now not so much. That leaves I Don't Know For Sure which I always thought was a weak song. Even Mould acknowledges he was trying to rewrite Makes No Sense At All. So three great songs, two I personally like, a wide gap, then the other five. Coming after Flip Your Wig where I loved every song (The Baby Song is alright but it's the only clunker), CAG just does not hold up at all. Having said that, I'll never skip a song because Husker Du is one of my favorite bands still. I feel the same way about Warehouse; not that good, but better than CAG...if it was a single album. I've boiled down the Warners era to a single album and it sounds like a worthy follow up to FYW.

11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Some really odd examples being thrown out here. Enema of the State? American Idiot? Those albums sold a combined 31 million copies according to Wikipedia.

Aftermath likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

My first VH album. Enjoyed the hits so I bought the album and blimey, I was disappointed. Half of it was (un-enjoyable) filler. I thought they soared once Hagar joined.

13. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

To me, the huge drop off came: Sparkle in the Rain -> Once upon a time

From classic sounding synth rock, to boring stadium rock with soul backup vocalists.

later

14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

ELP released five great albums followed by two massive hunks of cheese, and a ho hum swan song with a Bee Gees in Hawaii looking cover photo.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I'm a Smiles guy, but that's more to do with what I heard first (not in order), but I don't recall any drop-off - may have to re-listen, could take awhile.

warewolf95 and saskimo like this.
  16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Miles In The Sky kicks butt!

17. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Back in Black to For Those About to Rock
    Black Album to Load
    Countdown to Extinction to Youthanasia
    Physical Graphitti to Presence
    Sabotage to Technical Ecstacy
    Dynasty to Unmasked......lol! just kidding!.....or am I?!
    Seasons in the Abyss to Divine Intervention
    Heritage to whatever that album was called
    no Beatles to Beatles...okay just kidding again.
    I can go on and on...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    warewolf95 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Iron Maiden - The X Factor to Virtual XI

saskimo likes this.
  19. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Gotta admit, my Maiden collection ends at 7th Son.

20. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Funny, I was going to say Highway to Hell to Back in Black. I could never take Brian Johnson's singing.

saskimo likes this.
  21. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Totally prefer Bon Scott but alas Back in Black was classic in my opinion. Maybe we need a new post entitled best comeback after death of a bandmate. Let it Bleed anyone!?

eflatminor and warewolf95 like this.
  22. warewolf95

Bummer :(

23. warewolf95

For what its worth, I don't think AC/DC really have a fall off point. They just moved into commercial success and then back out of it :p

Flick of the Switch, Fly On The Wall, Ballbreaker, Blow Up Your Video - all great albums imo

saskimo likes this.
  24. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

Yeah, definitely have a soft spot for Fly.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

I've always said, even Grandmas will tap their feet to AC/DC. Even if secretly.

warewolf95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.