Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Revolver’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I enjoy "Tomorrow Never Knows" more than any other song. So in my book, it's the most enjoyable song ever.

DK Pete and maui jim like this.
  2. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Evah? It’s top 5 Beatles for me. But evah?

3. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I love many bands and songs, but if I were forced to choose, TNK would be my Top 1 for sure. The perfect combination of lyrics and music for me.

Of course, like most people, it was hard for me to dig it at the beginning; but it slowly grew on me until it completely blow me away like no other song ever did. Nowadays, after more than 20 years of being a Beatles fan, I try to listen to it only when I listen to Revolver (which I do once a year, more or less) because it's always a special moment and I don't want to ruin it. Actually now I'm desiring to listen to it, but I'll just remember every word and sound in my mind.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's my 5th favorite Beatles track...and notice I say, "track" in combination of song and recording (this is how I judge all music...it's hardly ever just about "the song" albeit in some cases, more than others)). The latter involves a number of things..the overall arrangement, the way the various sounds are incorporated into the overall recording and their texture, Lennon's ultra charismatic vocal...put it this way, if the Anthology version was the one that made the "cut", I highly doubt I'd be talking about it like this.

herbaltree, Hombre and maui jim like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The very first time I heard TNK was when I borrowed Revolver from a classmate in 6th grade during Christmas break of 1968 (it was the Capitol album...the UK originals hadn't infiltrated the local shops as of yet). The entire album kept me firmly "glued" but TNK was something else, altogether. I'd never heard anything like it up to that point in my short life..it's 'electricity" and magnetism has stuck with me to this day. Melodically monotonous as it is, the way in which Lennon "delivers" it fits in with the overall recording in a way that, to me, remains otherworldly.

Hombre and maui jim like this.
  6. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

There's no wrong answer here! Several of these songs have occupied the top spot at some point in my life. For right now I'll go with Eleanor Rigby.

DK Pete and BellaLuna like this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It's hard to narrow it down to one, since [IMHO] this is one of the albums whose strength lies in the diversity of styles/sounds covered.

But if I had to narrow it down to one I almost picked Tomorrow Never Knows, but at the last minute got sideswiped by Love You To, George's first and [again IMHO] best melding of East & West.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Gotta be Tomorrow Never Knows 1st issue UK mono mix with the longer ending. The extra organ when John sings 'it is knowing, it is knowing' (totally missing on the 2nd mono and stereo mixes) makes this mix the best of the bunch. IMO, the best thing The Fabs ever did

Hombre and Izozeles like this.
  9. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

The whole record without YS (it should have been a Christmas single )

10. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I can’t even imagine the impact that should have made . Like an alien speaking from a Buckingham balcony

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I figured everyone would choose Tomorrow, so I picked Here There And Everywhere

12. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

My favorite is Got to Get You into My Life. I think Revolver is the most balanced Beatles album, and Tomorrow Never Knows may be the most explosive closing track on a Beatles Album (it's a good track, just not my favorite). It was the first non-compilation album I bought (Sgt. Pepper came next) and I bought it on the strength of all the songs on the album.

13. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Tough, but I went with “She Said She Said” for this one. That awesome heavy guitar sound and general weirdness have always made it a standout to me. Nobody on Earth but John Lennon could have written this song. Classic.

mbleicher1 and cyril sneer like this.
  14. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

Sorry, but for me it’s Yellow Submarine

tages likes this.
  15. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

So on an album that's usually referenced as McCartney peaking, John has 489 votes to Paul's 279.
    If you give Paul Yellow Submarine he's at 291.
    John has the only song with more than 200 votes and has a total of 2 songs with 100 or more and 3 with 75 or more and 4 with 50 or more.
    Paul has 1 with over 100 votes and 2 with more than 50 but no others that reached 75.

cyril sneer and Trixmay 988 like this.
  16. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

I’m exactly the same with A Day In the Life.

Hombre likes this.
  17. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

I love this song too. I've always thought it sort of sounds like something The Kinks could have wrote however.

18. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Sure Paul is the underrated beatle.

19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Lol just found it interesting, especially on this forum.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Actually, he is.

John's contributions are always glorified, and George's contributions are always overrated. Paul did a ton more than those two ever did and it gets swept under the rug far too often.

21. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Agree on Love You To being George's best Indian offering. It works brilliantly because it's a pop song with a heavy dose of Eastern flavoring and drones, as opposed to Within You Without You and Inner Light which attempt to be more authentic 'world' music and are both boring snoozefests in comparison to LYT.

22. Tones

Tones Resident Resident

I'm with John Lennon on this: "Here There And Everywhere."

23. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Got To Get You Into My Life was a top ten hit ten years after the album Revolver was released.

24. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Tomorrow Never Knows is the most important song on the album and I'm shocked they didn't open the album with it. Probably would have had an even bigger impact as the opener. Followed by the blast of Got To Get You Into My Life would've been a great start (not that it doesn't start well as it is). Ironically those two songs were the first two recorded.

My favorite is probably And Your Bird Can Sing in stereo. The mix is bright and powerful, the vocals almost 3 dimensional and the lead guitars are amazing. Two minutes of perfection.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  25. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

good lord, it's She Said, She Said - easy since it's also the best Beatles song period

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.