Lodge 49 - New Show on AMC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Crap.

Scope J likes this.
  2. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I feared as much when the finale was aired, seemingly fit for a series finale. Sigh.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It will be one of the best two season shows ever. At least for me.

AlphabetMan, Scott222C and Scope J like this.
  5. Complier

Complier Senior Member

This gets canceled while garbage like "The Walking Dead" keeps going. 'Merica!

Kyhl and vince like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

7. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Dang, I knew it...too good to last. Too many good characters. Maybe it will be picked up by another network.

vince likes this.
  8. vince

IFC....maybe?......

Borgia likes this.
  9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

It's my fault. When I like an unusual show like this one (also Timeless), it means death is near. Sorry, everyone.

I expected it.

Spitfire likes this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Bummer. Just finished season 2 the other night.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Me too. I'm the kiss of death for a show.

12. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

The creators are currently shopping it out to other networks. Fingers crossed!

Complier and vince like this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The sports bar crowd (like what Scott was trying to turn the lodge into) didn’t “get it”.

So the rest of us suffer. Oh well.

Craig and Borgia like this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Finished season one. This show balances on the limit of how much quirkiness I can take but I got through it. Usually at least one decent laugh per episode. A fun watch with likeable characters. There's quite a few easter eggs & references to Masonic lodges throughout this for those of us that are still or were active in a lodge. I'll probably start season two tomorrow night.

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

This is so disappointing. I came around to really enjoy this show. :cry:

AlphabetMan likes this.
  16. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

For me, it has deeply affected me and is currently up there with Twin Peaks for me (coincidentally that initially got canceled after S2 as well.........)

notesofachord likes this.
  17. AlphabetMan

I can't believe it took a search engine to find this thread :laugh:

I posted two brief things on this thread: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...tched-was-part-1.566677/page-35#post-22935269

I'm currently on a rewatch (S1E9) and there is so so so so much that you don't notice the first time. The show is so intricately connected as well, there is nothing in this show that doesn't have some relation to something or multiple other things, both overt and subtle.

Amazing script writing, amazing character development, amazing actors, amazing soundtrack, just EVERYTHING about this show is completely perfect and I am not making hyperbole, I say it very literal in relation to Lodge 49.
    One of the best 21st century shows, IMHO.

marmalade166 and notesofachord like this.
  18. AlphabetMan

There's no similarity, other than they're both bearded dudes. Wyatt Russell himself commented in an interview that the only reason people are saying that is "cause I look like the guy". The characters are polar opposites in every aspect.

19. AlphabetMan

I gotta say, it's quite amusing seeing people's comments about season 1 from 2018 :shh: So far off, lol

20. AlphabetMan

I'm up to S2E1 in my rewatch now and I do feel the grand-arch. Season one (while it was fun and had it's character struggles) was merely a prologue for Season Two (which is where everything starts falling into place.
    However Season Two itself is still just a piece of the puzzle, there are many S1 and S2 hints towards further events in Season Three, I know they have big plans for the show and really hope that they get backing by another company (I know the producers are still shopping it around) after AMC done a Captain on them (lol).

I do strongly feel that we will get that Season Three but it will probably come next year, not this year. We will be a year delayed but it will be even better than season two!

The show definitely needs better advertisement though.
    I started watching it (back on the 7th of this month) for the occult elements but I know other people came into it expecting a really crazy comedy. However the product that they actually made was neither, it was something entirely different and something with a lot of meaning and heart put into it.
    What we got was a drama about personal struggle (everyone is going through something, and many things we can relate to on some level) and anticapitalism (what this economic system is doing to us psychologically/socially/spiritually), within the context of a decaying initiatic lodge with Alchemical/hermetic themes (which flourishes gradually after Dud arrives) but which is developed with a conscious use of comedic elements to give life to the story.
    The writing itself places immense importance on character development, more than anything else. And the actual production places a lot of emphasis on fine details that only make sense on second/third watching (a quality of shows like Twin Peaks etc).

The opening four minutes of S2E1 really display the show in a nutshell, it's clever writing constantly catches you off-guard. The initial reaction is to assume it's just trying to be weird or off-cuff but the things that are placed there are so more impactful once you realize the why.
    It's a show-burn show but pays-off big time.

Alongside that, there are also several mystery characters we see briefly every few episodes that haven't (as of yet, being that there is no Season Three currently) revealed their place within the story - in combination with the lodge and Orbis mysteries. There is so much bubbling by the time that we reach S2E10 that we know there is huge further narrative to unfold. And kind of like Twin Peaks, it doesn't have to explain everything. The things that have necessary explanation, get their screentime, the things that don't....don't.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why has hulu not rescued this show?!

AlphabetMan likes this.
  22. AlphabetMan

Agreed. They very may well, if we ever get the chance to vote or whatever, make sure we do so. Hulu are airing them though, so that's a step in the right direction. The producers are still shopping around (fingers crossed)

Scope J likes this.
  23. vince

I'd rather IFC....so I can watch it, too!

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

You need to pony-up for hulu & Netflix, many good things to watch/binge!

25. AlphabetMan

Yep, season two is definitely the best season and where it becomes one of the greatest shows ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.