NYC record stores selling all analog vinyl (especially MoFi, Analogue Productions and Music Matters)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Gary L, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary L

Gary L New Member Thread Starter

I'm heading to NYC this spring and would appreciate if anyone could suggest NYC record stores where I could find all analog vinyl?

American labels, such as MoFi and Analogue Productions, are usually really hard and expensive to find in Europe. I'm also really interested of the following labels: Analog Spark, Music Matters, Audio Fidelity, ORG Music and Intervention Records.

Also, any other tips for good record stores in NYC are most welcome.

2. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

If you want vintage original pressings rather than reissues, the Jazz Record Center is amazing for, well, jazz.

I really like A-1 records too, but I don't think they stock reissues - it's all used. They have a killer selection of disco, funk, latin, etc. It looked like they had a reasonable rock section too, but that's not where I focus when I'm digging.

Gary L likes this.
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Princeton Record Exchange and Vintage Vinyl in nearby New Jersey are worth the trip.

enezdez and Gaslight like this.
  4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Princeton Record Exchange sells hundreds of sealed Scorpio vinyl....if you like reissues nobody can figure out if they are legit, this is your place or eBay for Scorpio. Record shows are the best, many around NYC under 1.5 hours in NY/NJ/CT.

5. Not recently, not that much Scorpio vinyl out there in the last ten years. Princeton does sell many of the labels the OP is looking for, but he’ll have to take the train and the Dinky connect to get there.

6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They buried the U.S. when they were selling anything and everything rare in the jazz & soul realm sealed and cheap. The whole Blue Note catalog was there for way under the legit (EMI I think) wholesale catalogs. Every store bought tons. Probably still do. I'm surprised the R.I.A.A. didn't raid them, they've been around as long as Morris Levy's or John LaMonte's dealings in the 70's.

7. Yes, indeed
    You might enjoy these:

What is "Scorpio"?

United States v. La Monte, 455 F. Supp. 952 (E.D. Pa. 1978)

8. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

If your limited to public transportation and don't mind taking a little trip (50 minutes or so) on a commuter railroad, Infinity records in massapequa in Long Island has fine collection of used and new vinyl... And it's a block away from the Long Island Rail Road train station.

Gary L and ss nimrod like this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

PREX is a must. It's not in NYC but a fairly short train ride + Uber away.

I love this store. And I hate this store, if you get my meaning.

10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Scorpio was Morris Levy's competition in the cut out biz....then they pressed up free money later on with counterfeits of every rare jazz and soul mega album for about $9 wholesale. LaMonte's building of 45rpm singles was the most amazing hoard of records I've ever seen,House Of Sounds near Philly. He went into the witness protection service since the Genovese wanted him for bringing down Moishey and others.....he'll be a movie down the road after Tommy James' bio film.

11. Scottny1237

Scottny1237 Forum Resident

I’ve lived in NY my whole life. Been to 100s of shops, most aren’t that great. But I just looked up this place online and it looks amazing! I’ll be heading there myself this weekend for sure!

Marcev likes this.
  12. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I wouldn't bother spending hours of time only to come back empty handed. If you are staying with someone, then I would order stuff from discogs and have it shipped there.

13. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

It's a good store but not a great store. How would I put it, OK, once in a while if You happen to be there at the right time, You can find there something good, the kind of stuff that usually any NYC store only lists online. But even there it's not going to be cheap - they check prices online like everybody else.
    An off peak round trip from NYC will cost $21, sometimes to spend this money and not to find anything worth buying - this feeling kind of sucks.
    Maybe if You in the area for other reasons, it could be worth it. Otherwise IMO - not so much.

14. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

I have not been there since the whole Covid thing started and I don't live too far away so my opinion comes from that perspective. What I thought was a good draw was that they used to have a bin where new albums go before sorting. The selection, while of course dependent on inventory for that day, was eclectic and quite good. They also allowed you to play the albums on site and took back those that had skips if you bought one. Where they perfect ? Nope... Have I ever gone to other records store in Brooklyn or the City and found nothing that appealed, 100%.

For me its always the thrill of the hunt but as you mentioned, one has to be willing to spend $21 for the privilege.

15. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Infinity Records on Long Island is my favorite store, but I've never seen them stock the labels OP asked about unless they come in used.

On a side note I've seen Joe the owner check pricing online for a very small portion of what comes in, he knows his stuff for the most part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.