2020 and not on Blu Ray. Your favourite VHS/DVD/unreleased concerts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

In the case of One For All it was more down to remixing since the concert was captured at 16-bit/44.1khz.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture. Not sure how it was filmed or in what ratio, but it would be great to have a nice cleaned up Blu of this footage, with remixed sound.

The specs on IMDB claim its Aspect Ratio is 1.33 : 1 (or 4:3 like old square TV's) but was shot in 35mm. Surprised this hasn't made it to BD yet.

BeatleJWOL, fishyboots and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

There's a lot of concert
    Yeah, this is a great release. The easter egg with NIN and Manson playing The Beautiful People is excellent.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The list of concerts and documentaries of music festivals that haven’t been enshrined in disc format or remastered and upgraded to the best quality is very long indeed. Here are some off the top of my head worthy of consideration...

Atlanta Pop Festival (never released on any format except for Jimi Hendrix’s performance and snippets of one or two others) - Many great groups performed here and while most weren’t filmed in their entirety, there’s supposedly footage of many rare performances of classic groups in their prime languishing away. Filmed in 16mm, this deserves an extended Blu-Ray release with best audio possible and mastering.

38 Special - Wild Eyed and Live (released on LD back in the 80’s, this is the group in it’s prime, wit key hit producing line-up). This hasn’t even been officially released on DVD yet, but it would be a prime candidate for Blu-Ray, IMO.

Jimi Hendrix RAH - No need to go into detail here (there’s already a thread covering the special screening last Fall). This begs for a fully remastered Blu-Ray release focusing on all existing performances without psychedelic inserts.

Grand Funk Railroad (Mark, Don & Mel) - Apparently there was quite a bit of footage of this power trio line-up between ‘69 and ‘72, most of it remains unaired. There’s certainly room for a good documentary with full performance footage covering the rise of GFR.

Black Sabbath - Olympia theater Paris footage remastered and released as a stand-alone Blu-Ray (as a bonus remastering various performances through ‘75 would make for a must-have release for fans of the group)

Led Zeppelin - (remaster the current DVD set and upgrade to a Blu-Ray release, adding another filmed concert or two)

Mountain - Exhume all of the archived filmed and video performances of the classic line-up, clean up and restore what’s available and release a documentary on a disc format (preferably Blu-Ray if the remastered footage warrants it)

Captain Beyond - This short lived prog-Rock Group, arguably ahead of it’s time, has excellent live footage of material from their first album deserving of proper mastering & release on DVD or Blu-Ray. While there may not be much more available beyond the 30 to 45 minutes viewable on YouTube, this minor supergroup is ideally suited to a documentary.

Humble Pie- There’s a smattering of edited footage that crops up on YouTube of so-so quality, but very little of the group in it’s prime with both Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton fronting. If there’s any additional performance footage of this line-up left anywhere, it should be exhumed and brought out on disc format (DVD and/or Blu-Ray) with a documentary.

Blue Oyster Cult - There’s actually quite a bit of filmed footage of this group in their prime with the best line-up (‘73 -‘81), but the sources are all over the place. BOC, with it’s co-writing connection with author Michael Moorcock and musicians Patti Smith, Richard Meltzer, et al., deserves a thorough documentary with remastered footage of complete performances in a Blu-Ray package.

Rockpalast (misc.) - This German produced music series does release occasional DVDs of popular American and U.K. groups, but there are many musicians and group line-ups in their prime that are omitted. Most of these academy format (4:3 ratio) filmed shows would still probably benefit somewhat from Blu-Ray treatment even though filmed on video. Licensing monies may be the biggest hold-up, but at least a limited market would certainly be there for it.

This just scratches the surface of what I’d like to see, but it’s a good start.

:cheers:
    Cat

5. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Yep, I know. Totally worth the work being done. I was thinking of the potential for improved sound, and remixing can improve even 16 bit sound. So glad they took the time and money to do that - it sounds great! Perhaps my all-time live video.

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Love -The Forever Changes Concert

ti-triodes likes this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

U2 immediatly comes to mind

The majority of 'Under a Blood Red Sky' album was taken from Rockpalast 1983, Loreley, Germany.
    It's obvious the concert was multitracked, since the mix is different from the broadcast.

That would be a great Blu Ray to me

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    BeatleJWOL, sleeptalker, Togo and 2 others like this.
  8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Not necessarily true, I guess it depends on the runtime. I’ll take 2 hrs or more of SD content on Blu-Ray any day. With Blu-Ray you get more capacity, less discs and lossless audio. I’ve seen too many inferior DVD versions where a SD Blu-Ray is available.

BeatleJWOL and Sea Within a Sea like this.
  9. ponkine

Another of the iconic Radiohead gigs.
    Glastonbury 2003

10. Michael

my most wanted..Beatles at Shea Stadium..

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That could look incredible. Wasn't it all ready to go and was going to be included on the Blu-ray / DVD of the Eight Days A Week film, then they decided not to at the last minute?

I'd go further and want a Shea Stadium DVD / Blu-ray (I don't have a Blu-ray player yet!) of all the acts on the bill, especially The Ronettes. Everything they have filmed.

Guy Smiley and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

I remember reading something about that...missed opportunity to say the least!

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Michael

Aimee Mann Live At St. Ann's Warehouse with bonus tracks! BD would be fab!

14. ponkine

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene Live in Your Living Room

newelectricmuse likes this.
  15. ponkine

Jean Michel Jarre - Paris La Defense

[​IMG]

Big Pasi likes this.
  16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Not sure, but Shea was shown with theatrical screenings of Eight Days a Week. After the main film.

My understanding was a deal was struck with the rights owners (Sid Bernstein’s family?) for that only but no deal could be made for the DVD/Blu-ray. A shame, since I don’t think the actual film was worth buying on its own.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Man at C&A likes this.
  17. ponkine

Neil Peart (R.I.P) - Anatomy of a drum Solo

[​IMG]

BradB, BeatleJWOL and boggs like this.
  18. Guy Smiley

Tom Petty’s Soundstage performance has been out of print for some time, and is (of course) outrageously priced since his passing:

Come to think of it... So many great performances on both Soundstage and Austin City Limits over the decades, and so few have been, or currently are, available to purchase. Shame.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Jeff Buckley live at Cabaret, Chicago. It would be ABOUT TIME.

BradB and Togo like this.
  20. ponkine

Mike Oldfield - Tubullar Bells Live at BBC 1973

And of course, the Tubullar Bells II (Edinburgh Castle 1992) and III (London 1998)

BeatleJWOL and newelectricmuse like this.
  21. porter_esq

porter_esq Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The current DVD uses Frank’s LaserDisc film transfer from the 80’s, although the re-cobbled soundtrack is pretty bitchin.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. ponkine

A 1980 Mike Oldfield Blu Ray could be made with iconic performances like Knebworth and Rockpop

BeatleJWOL and newelectricmuse like this.
  23. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Picked up the blu ray on eBay not too long ago (after his death I think) and it wasn’t that expensive....

24. ponkine

A pre 'Alchemy' with Paris 1978, Rockpalast 1979, Rockpop Dortmund 1980, Werchter 1981

25. Guy Smiley

Perhaps I should look there instead of Amazon then. Thanks.

niko9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.