'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

yes agree with there plus it has some of the best artwork BN produced.

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So now only 43 more days until the new Tone Poets arrive, not so bad, I am sure the time will go by as fast as can be (yeah right)...Jamming some Grant Green last night on my wedding anniversary and it made me start craving "Nigeria" even more. Can't wait for this one and of course all the other 2020 titles. Also hit Sunday Mornin' up again and yes @AnalogJ (you are correct) there are some piano issues caused by the tape, but the record is still a great listen (well worth getting) and you are so right about the Miles Davis track "So What", very nice indeed!

Joti Cover, SJR, Anselmo and 3 others like this.
  3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yeah i picked up Basra yesterday at a small local shop. Toronto. Ill clean it this weekend

Fender Relic and scotti like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There is a magazine review now posted over on the respected new thread for these releases and it sounds like they did a great job. This will be my last post here about these...sorry everyone.

Joti Cover and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just ordered Tina Brooks Minor Moves, should arrive today. Looking forward to checking this series out.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

dastinger likes this.
  7. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Happy Anniversary! Nigeria is going to wind up in a lot of folk’s top 5 lists, i’m certain. Even streaming it is blowing me away. Green should have been so much more famous in his day...Baffles me to think that this album wasn’t released until 1980. An Art Crime.

trd, garrincha, Bill Why Man and 5 others like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Many thanks! And a H.A. week it's been. Saw my doctor yesterday and I am now off of restrictions and he could not have been any happier with my progress. Still a couple months to go, but what a difference! Still weird typing on a computer screen.

You are so right about "Nigeria". When this baby hits, it will make Grant Green "fever" even hotter! There's an import CD with bonus tracks I have heard several times, and a bit pricey to say the least. I almost always listen to Jazz on vinyl now, CD's just don't cut it for this incredible music. Now only 41 more days, but hey, who's counting, surely not me.

9. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Fantastic news, Scotti!! Keep the spirits high & moving forward (which is what you do).
    Yeah, 41 days will burn by - no doubt. Def give us your impressions of the Big Star releases as well in the meantime.

scotti likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It's a good thing I already have them on the way at my local shop. With the announcement of more SRX titles and 4 Tone Poet's on the same day plus Blakey and LaRoca BN 80th's, I might as well grab the hammer and nails and start building my new outdoor home...

Twinsfan007, SJR, Crazysteve and 3 others like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just cleaned and played the Lee Konitz Alone Together live 2LP set from the BN80 series. Man, what a great record. Beautifully recorded. In case you're not familiar, it's a live trio date with Brad Meldhau and Charlie Haden. The vinyl was quiet and well pressed, but ever so slightly off-center. Not objectionable to me.

The only thing sort of weird about the album is that many of the cuts fade out before then. I'm guessing that they might have medley-ed into something else that they didn't want as part of the album, but it's weird to hear live cuts fade. I don't even like it on studio albums.

In any event, I highly recommend it. I believe it might have been Joe Harley who recommended it to me, even though he wasn't personally part of the BN80 series.

PATB, djost, scotti and 4 others like this.
  12. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Thanks for report, actual useful info. I listened via Spotify and could tell it could be a great sounding record, requiring quiet vinyl. Just wish they changed things up a bit more. I'll give it another listen or 2.

Have Una Mas coming tomorrow. Hoping for the best sound wise.

scotti likes this.
  13. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Una Mas is outstanding. I rate it as a top 3 BN80 along with Indestructible and Grants First Stand.

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I promised myself I was not going to buy this record. Just not clicking with me, and then you go and post these comments. Well, there's another one I'm ordering tomorrow. Always willing to take a chance. And me, the person that always says not to stream records like this, did so, and it sounds like I need to hear this the proper way to enjoy it. And with everything else coming, I better act now.

I wanted to comment on the Speakers Corner release of Mingus At Antibes, AAA 2-LP 180g and cut by Kevin Gray I just got. Beautiful gatefold with liner notes and some cool pics. Had to have this because of Eric Dolphy. Got my copy for $49 which I believe is a great price. The sound on this is really, really nice for being live. I only listened to the first record last night (as I had just gotten the VMP of Songs For The Deaf) and was craving another listen.

If in to Mingus and Dolphy, this one is highly recommended and can't wait to listen to the second record this afternoon. This just hit at the local stores (at least mine) and Amazon this past week as their titles come out a bit later this way and not earlier like Acoustic Sounds gets them, but their price is higher. The playing on this album is ever so cool!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    jwoverho, trd, Bill Why Man and 7 others like this.
  15. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

I completely agree -- Mingus At Antibes is possibly my favorite Mingus record. The original orange and green Atlantic pressing sounds quite good IMO but if this reissue is a significant sonic upgrade I might have to double dip.

Also, I am personally not a huge fan of the Konitz-Mehldau record either. I love a lot of Mehldau's trio records and Alone Together is definitely interesting, but I find Mehldau's playing distractingly aggressive and intricate and busy in this context.

scotti likes this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well, maybe my first instinct was right. I trust @AnalogJ 's feedback, but just afraid I would spin this once or twice and then never again. And with the announcement of more SRX titles, I really have to show some restraint now. Why do I feel some of you will laugh at what I just said...

(Mingus at Antibes) I'm going to spend some time in my sweet spot with this today. Will listen to record 2, take a short break, then listen from start to finish. I have some original Atlantic live Jazz records (and they sound really good), but not this one as I only had the CD, so no way to compare, but will comment once more on the sound of the Speakers Corner version after some more time. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I posted earlier that those mid-side fade outs were totally unforgivable in a "live" setting. I gave the 2 LP's one more listen and this is probably heading for re-sale. I could only really "feel" anything on Side 4. It is too far "out there" for me.

scotti likes this.
  18. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I absolutely love At Antibes. Dolphy blows me away, even after constantly spinning this SC release the past few weeks. Songs for the Deaf is fantastic as well. I love the reissue and hadn’t listened to this album in years. Apparently we’re on the same musical wavelength at the moment Scotty, and the same sports wavelength today as well. With my Vikings done and a healthy disgust for the Packers, I’ll be cheering for the Niners right with you.

Crispy Rob and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  19. AnalogJ

I don't agree about Mehldau's playing being busy or messy. Konitz and Haden are playing very deliberatively. Mehldau adds some harmonic complexity and depth. In a way, his solo breaks things up.

Another thing - This album is not going to knock you over with fire. It's the kind you put your mind to and sink into. The album is covers, yet you'll think of these songs in a different way.

Jeff

Eric_B likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

Two things -

1) I'm rooting for the Titans, now that the Pats are out of it.

2) Do you have to play "Song For The Deaf " very loudly?

Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome, did not know you got the SC of Antibes, sorry if I missed an earlier comment from you on it. I have "Rated R" coming in a few days. But damn, SFTD sounds so bad a$$!!!!! Going to crank it loud right before the Niners game!

Crispy Rob and Crazysteve like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

QOTSA always sound better loud! The VMP version of SFTD is anything but compressed. The detail and separation just screams out of this version, and what an amazing record! Realized you asked @Crazysteve but I had to chime in, coffee starting to speak to me, oh time for wake and bake and firing up that pit for my my World Famous Beer Can Chicken that has won many awards.

Those Titans are going to have a bit of a time against Reid and those Chiefs. Good luck sir!

Edit - Tone Poet thread! Will be jamming Mr. Willette and Mr. Gordon (one side each) while attending the pit.

Crispy Rob, Rekkerds and Crazysteve like this.
  23. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

My amazon Canada pre-order is still saying that Comin' your way and Poppin are due to be released January 31st. Here's hoping!

24. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

I'll definitely listen to it some more. Just hasn't struck a chord with me yet. Maybe I'm just too used to hearing Mehldau with Larry G and Jeff B that pairing him with the more understated Lee K and Charlie just sounds a little off to me.

25. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

I think I have played Indestructible more than any other BN80th. Just phenomenal! With music matters copies pushing $125 shipped, I am so glad they chose to re-press.

ausgraeme, scotti, Eric_B and 3 others like this.