Sony UBP-x800 - DSD Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dkmonroe, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

This always seems to be the way.
    In my business (fire alarm panels) the factory will periodically introduce updates to “improve” the performance.
    And we always brace ourselves for the unexpected side effects these upgrades often have

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. G Fehners

G Fehners Member

Hi Guys. This is my first post, hopefully many more to come. Can anyone help with a question related to this topic? I have the UBP X800, an LG OLED TV and the Monster that is the Sony AV 777 ES Amp. I have had this amp for about 18 years and was bought as new when released. The amp continues to please me with it's AV and direct audio capabilities and for this reason I don not want to sell it for a modern infinitely poorer amp. The problem I have is that the amp doesn't have any HDMI inputs. I am very into music and have a Rega Planar deck etc which is linked to the amp. I would like to play SDS based music via the Bluray player but understand that it outputs DSD & SACD only via the HDMI output. At present I can get a 5.1 soundtrack (off say a Bluray movie) from the Sony Amp via an HDMI cable connected to my LG OLED tv and having the LG connected to the Sony Amp via a digital optical cable. Is any one aware if this same connection would work for a DSD disc recording/SACD please? If the Dig Optical connection would not allow this Hi Res audio stream to be played via my amp is there any way/alternative to doing so, without changing my amp?

many thanks.

3. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

You are SOL, the optical would limit you to lossy 2 channel PCM.

4. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Alternatively, you could try the player’s coaxial output or the audio-only HDMI with an extractor. How high rez the coaxial output is depends on which version of the firmware you have.

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I have no idea what inputs you have but, if you have 5.1 analog inputs, you can use this: Essence Evolve II-4K HDMI D/A processor ($299)

6. G Fehners

G Fehners Member

Thanks for responding Kal and suggesting a workaround. I'll give it some thought but what concerns me is that the amp has a vastly superior Burr Browne DAC so I'm loath to bypass the preamp stage in the Sony.

7. G Fehners

G Fehners Member

Thanks for responding Bradman, it's appreciated. Can i just question your response "the optical would limit you to lossy 2 channel PCM? my present setup for 4K bluray movies (taking a bluray signal to TV via HDMI and sound back to Amp via Tosslink provides multi channel audio DD 5.1 channel sound stage).

8. Get the Sony X-1000 ES that is discontinued but still on sale and can be got inexpensively, this one has analogue outputs. Or the newer X-1100 ES that also has analogue outs.

9. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I believe those only have STEREO analog outs...Not multi channel...w multi channel u need to use the hdmi out...major bummer

10. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Thanks to DRM, DSD gets down rezzed over optical or coax.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  11. Audiowannabee

If u want multi channel 5.1 or QUAD buy an older player w analog outs...OR buy a newer player & a newer AVR w hdmi in...i believe just about the only avr w both analog n hdmi ins would be a marantz.....or find a used OPPO

Best wishes in ur search

Kiko1974 likes this.
  12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

You have no suitable modern digital inputs on the Sony, so you have little choice.

13. Audiowannabee

Or try one of those hdmi extractors

14. Audiowannabee

If ur determined to keep ur old 18 yr old equipment buy a used cheap sacd/dvd player for sacds n use the sony x800 for bluray thru coax...2 players

I've been searching too uve been explained the various options...i know iy sucks being forced to buy new when the old is great n still works

15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

While I have a lot of "vintage" / "legacy" gear incorporated into the numerous systems that I have scattered around my home, I have zero to no sympathy for anyone trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

At some point you just have to accept that leaded gasoline is no longer a thing.

Jeff

formu_la, lv70smusic and Kiko1974 like this.
  16. That's exactely the way to go, there's no other way.
    Back in 2010 I wanted both 5.1 SACD playing and DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD from my BD discs that I started buy on early 2007 (early adopter), but I had a Marantz SR-7000 A/V receiver from 2000 that had no HDMI inputs. An Oppo BDP-93 sorted everything out. It had/has 7.1 analogue outs (that can be configured to 5.1) and all the processing necessary for 5.1 playing like bass management and audio delay for the different channels. With one single player I had all that I wanted without changing to a new HDMI-enabled A/V receiver. Try to find an used Oppo, it will solve all your issues with a single device,they sound great, they look great and they're built like a tank.

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, I discovered this feature too after I got my X-800, but then I realized that it offers no advantage for playing hybrid SACDs unless somehow the SACD layer offers a different and better mastering than the CD layer because, as you say the resolution is limited to 16/44. I probably upgraded the firmware without realizing it would create this limitation, or I bought a newer unit. So then I got the d.bob breakout box to restore high res extraction for SACD playback. An expensive unknowing mistake it was, to upgrade that firmware.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Audiowannabee likes this.
  18. Audiowannabee

Ive not updated my firmware on x800 sony and i discovered with my pioneer avr i get sacd multi channel via coax :)

Discovered when oppo was inshop yep amazing but true

19. A few days ago I switched my X-800 on to watch Almost Famost UHD BD and a warning popped in telling that there was a new firmware update. As it played the new US Almost Famous UHD BD fine I didn't update it. I don't know what this firmware update is about and I won't update my X-800 until I find out.
    My X-800 is the European version by the way.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot Thread Starter

Apparently it's an update that improves how Ultra HD Blu-ray discs play.

Firmware Update to Version M36.R.0342 | Sony USA

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Use my 800M2 almost exclusively as a music transport. Don’t own any UHD Blu-ray Discs nor do I have a TV that can accept them.
    I’m inclined to leave well enough alone and skip the updated

22. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

It did no harm.

However one must laugh...

Click on the update link above. Then on the "view previous benefits and improvements" link.

First on the list: "Removes the Gracenote function."

Only the user-vicious Sony "service" system could call removing worthwhile functionality a benefit or improvement.

Jeff

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

Hi folks, my X800 has died - no power at all. Anyone successfully repaired theirs or know of a common fault which would cause it to die suddenly.
    Any help appreciated.

24. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Installing the update so I could stream coincided with my finally becoming unwilling to accept what sounds like really low bit-rate levels for dialog, especially for Amazon Prime. I've blamed Amazon in the past but it could be the Sony: using the tv SmartHub had better quality.

25. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Mine has always responded to unplugging and replugging when it goes dead. The closest thing to a solution I found searching for this all-too-common problem: unplug it and hold the two buttons on the front of the device at the same time you plug it back in. Dunno how many hands it takes to do that. I saw a reference to a board that could be replaced if the parts weren't unavailable.

I have old cheap eBay Sony players as disposable backups. The S6700 will play dvd and sacds and is on sale at Amazon and Sony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.