Why is there no good vinyl issue of Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating into space

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erowid, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins Thread Starter

Today I was listening to my original CD version from 1997 on good headphones (Grado GH2). With the right kind of mood and chemical balance, I get sucked into Jason Pierces magnus opus each and every time... except for the times when I try to play this cult classic on my turntable. The original vinyl version is noisy as hell and the Plain reissue from 10 or so years ago sounds even worse. Why in the world did this super massive and influential late 90s classic never get some decent audiophile vinyl treatment? Why, why, why?
    Its one of the only albums that still makes me happy to own/use a CD player. Still I’m sure a well done vinyl reissue would sell like hot cakes - so why hasn’t this been done yet?

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... not all 1997 copies are noisy but given the going price I wouldn't recommend taking a chance. At least without really knowing/ trusting the seller.

Concerning the lack of a good reissue: I actually don't think many people realise how bad the Plain version is. But it's readily available and if the artist isn't actively interested in quality reissues - like Stereolabs Tim Gane - I don't think anything is going to happen. Unfortunately some poor vinyl reissues are selling like hot cakes too! :evil:

So: Money is rolling in... all good. And probably some people think that this album was conceived for the CD format anyway. So that is that.

erowid likes this.
  3. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Anything that Plain reissues is bound to be garbage. Worst reissue label ever!

4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

timnor, erowid and Neonbeam like this.
  5. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Do artists even get money from Plain? Not guessing the royalties from those pressings are large enough to warrant shoddy product.

Across the board Spiritualized is due for a repress campaign. While I have original pressings of Laser Guided Melodies, Live at Royal, Let it Come Down and everything after that, the original (and not bootleg, which is basically what Plain I from my understanding) pressings of these albums command high prices. In the US they are virtually non-existent. I finally picked up Let is Come Down on Discogs for a fair price from a UK seller years ago after digging for years. I saw the live LP at a record show in 2002 and scooped it up and I’ve never seen it for sale since. Other than those I’ve never seen anything before Amazing Grace in US record stores, new or used.

Agreed. These albums like PJ Harvey’s and Sparklehorse’s are long over due for a LP reissue.

6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This record is my white whale. I want to find one in the wild for a reasonable price so bad

AlienRendel and erowid like this.
  7. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The first Sparklehorse record was re-pressed last year...by Plain. :(

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is definitely true. I read or watched an interview with the VP at Music Direct. I don't remember which. He claims MoFi's release of Weezer's Blue Album is the biggest seller in the history of the label. It's one of the few colored vinyl releases MoFi has released. I think it was mentioned that it was distributed to Urban Outfitters. That release if horrible. My 2002 European repress beats it by a mile. I'm betting there are thousands who are head over heals in love with their "Audiophile" pressing. They shouldn't be.

erowid likes this.
  9. Zapruder

Really? I liked the MoFi Weezer lp...:hide:

displayname likes this.
  10. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins Thread Starter

Ironically, I do own 2 or 3 plain reissues that sound ok, the best of them being “Lazer Guided Melodies”! It’s a 45rpm record set like the original (but without the bonus 7”) and plays super quiet and smooth. Crystal / laser clear sound reproduction without any interference of surface noise, clicks and pops, inner groove distortion or scratched surfaces. While I don’t own the original pressing, this reissue sounds better than my original cd copy. I often wondered if this was one of the rare circumstances where Plain somehow got hold of the original stampers? Apart from the debut, any Spiritualized / Spacemen 3 reissues I came across sound kind of poor or really, really bad. It’s a shame. I would pay good money for a well done Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 box set! Record Store Day, I’m looking at you here!

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Someone probably got fired for that slip-up!

Their reissue of Pulp - This Is Hardcore is textbook Plain--beautifully rendered cover and a record that sounded like it was sourced from a transistor radio and squashed to hell.

12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I just got the original dedicated pressing of lazer guided melodies today- 45 RPM and some of the THINNEST vinyl this side dynaflex lololol.
    would comparing the deadwax etchings tell us if they used the same stampers on your plain reissue @erowid ?
    I'd say this sounds about the same as the original CD, which I also have. maaaaybe a bit better, but not enough to deserve a needle drop.

domesticmachine likes this.
  13. domesticmachine

I recently found just disc 1 of the dedicated pressing for $7. Sleeve is nice. Been meaning to compare. I’ll share my thoughts.

14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

hmmm, I've changed my mind a bit on LGM- I just listened to the cd and the vinyl all the way through and the vinyl is much nicer actually. cd is not as close as it seemed initially.
    my vinyl copy is very noisy though, lots of pops. I need to give it a good clean.

Neonbeam and erowid like this.
  15. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

My understanding is that Plain does legally license the albums and pay royalties, as they should.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I think some kind of deluxe audiophile vinyl reissue, with a live show included would be amazing. I've seen Spiritualized a bunch of times, but the show on this tour was the one where I had an actual out-of-body experience.

17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I've got Ladies and Gentlemen and Laser Guided Melodies on Plain and sonically I'm happy enough with both, and no pressing issues with either. I did ditch the Plain Albert Hall when I came across an original, which I guess sounds marginally better. Then again maybe this music is meant to be listened to on CD?

18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

19. Zapruder

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

21. Zapruder

I believe you can wait until it comes out/is coming out and sign up then. It looks like they’ve reinstated the single month plan.

walrus likes this.
  22. domesticmachine

Reddit links to a tweet at VMP that says Elvis!
    Twitter

this is a no brainer upgrade over even the original. Will sign back up in August for this no doubt.

23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I have one VMP LP that was gifted to me (Archie Shepp's Attica Blues) and it's great. I get the impression that the VMP pressings are quality and I like all of the detail they offer on their website about each release. You can also swap out your monthly selection for anything else available in their catalog. So, when I signed up, I swapped the John Mayer LP (good god) for the John Cale mix of the Stooges' first album.

FJFP and bloodlemons like this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I will subscribe for 1 month at the right time just to buy LAGWAFIS, if the monthly fee is not too high. Otherwise, will wait to see see if they sell copies to Non-Members eventually.

25. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I can almost guarantee that this one will sell out. If you want it, you should sign up. Perhaps the aftermarket prices won't be too bad, but I'm not risking it.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.