Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. I have the new Fats Box and there most certainly is an issue behind the scenes regarding the release. This box could not possibly have completely sold out with perhaps 500 preordered sets world wide. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. In December Ernie @ Millions of Records was told by Bear the set would be available and shipped to him for resale in January. That’s now changed and who knows if/when.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. This! Plus rootin tootin Christmas .

3. I think it’s simply supply and demand. Nothing new, there.

spanky1 and baptistbusman like this.
  4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Just wanted to plug Bear Family’s sale again and mention that the recent Bill Monroe 1950-51 sessions box on RWA is on sale.

Richard Weize Archives - RWA

The Killer and baptistbusman like this.
  5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Mr. H likes this.
  6. Svein Arne

7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

This is simply supply and demand. I have no issue with the marketplace dictating what prices can be had for an item. Unfortunately, I didn't buy this box, but if I decide to buy it now, I'll pay a lot more. That is my fault alone.
    If I had a Bear Family set that is extremely desirable, I have no obligation to resell it for what I paid. In most cases, when I try to buy something that is out of print and extremely high, I get mad at myself for not buying it when it first came out.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The point is that there is likely zero demand for a copy at $1,000 to $1,500. When, if ever, it is delisted that will most likely be a result of the dealer removing it to try to boost collector anxiety and interest or that it actually was sold for a far lower price.

There is always the problem of impatience among collectors. A copy will show up and be sold for the typical price soon. There are many dealers out there that do not list their stuff on Amazon/Ebay/Discogs. I would not be surprised if a copy is available today in a Boston used shop for $150 or less.

9. Svein Arne

10. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I've always like to use ebay to gauge the market on many items. Simply looking at COMPLETED ITEMS doesn't tell what they are selling for. I always filter it by COMPLETED and SOLD items. However, simply looking at COMPLETED items will give you an idea of how many are being listed and whether or not they are selling.

11. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

My guess is no new box sets will be released in 2020. They'll end up being delayed to 2021 at a minimum. If I remember correctly nearly all of the new box sets of past 2-3 years were never released by the original announced release date (each one had a delayed release date of several months)

12. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

That's great news! My family will be glad to hear that there'll be no more night shifts and weekend work.
    :D {Cancels MOJO interview about Bear Family that's scheduled for today...}

13. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I’m already saving up for Connie Smith. Is the Rich-R-Tone set on the plans for this year?

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  14. T
    Assuming the rumour of a second Brenda Lee box is correct, what tapes were you planning to use if Brenda had hers destroyed in the fire at Universal almost 12 years ago?

melstapler likes this.
  15. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

There's a second Brenda Lee box coming?

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  16. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

The Richard Weize Christmas CD’s are great! Apparently there’s another one from RWA entitled Christmas Up North, which I haven’t heard. The RWA albums plus Bear Family’s Have Yourself A Swingin’ Little Christmas were all in heavy rotation ’round these parts this past season.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

BLB2 is what we call it

18. No, I said assuming the rumour in this thread is correct. I didn’t make a statement, I asked a question of possibility.

19. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I think Bear Family needs to invest again in Jazz and launch a Box covering Nancy Wilson's first decade of career.

melstapler, RSteven and Mychael like this.
  20. Svein Arne

Christmas up north is an 10 inch LP vinyl wth Canadian artists.It is great,i got it.it rocks.
    CHRISTMAS UP NORTH / VARIOUS (10IN) (GATE) (GER) (US IMPORT) VINYL LP NEW | eBay

munjeet and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  21. And if Madam Cleo was so clairvoyant, she would have seen her indictment coming.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  22. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Please give us a heads up when it’s published! I’ll need to go out of my way to fetch a copy.

23. Svein Arne

24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Christmas Up North is absolutely essential for Canadian oldies collectors, and a fun listen for anyone else. What sets it apart is that all of the selections are original songs, without any retreads of Christmas standards.

25. Svein Arne

Do you know about the record company 4star records?They was a big record company in late 40s and inthe whole 50s.There has been several great releases from this company with rockabilly on Bear Family,and 1 with hillbilly bop from Richard Weize Archives.Here is one with cowboy/western tunes i found and have bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/Club-78-4-ST...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C2ME5AVTKV4XANNA6KDX
    Here is 1 from Bear Family
    Various - That'll Flat Git It! CD: Vol.26 - Rockabilly From The Vaults Of 4 Star Records (CD) - Bear Family Records
    1 from Richard Weize Archives:
    Various CD: Play The Music Louder - 4 Star Boogies & Jumpin' Hillbilly (CD) - Bear Family Records
    Another great rockabillies release:
    Various CD: 4 Star Rockabillies (CD) - Bear Family Records
    I got them all,great music.Now we can wait for Bear Family to make a big CD box set from this recordlabel.:righton::tiphat:

THEODORE WILBURN: Goose Pimples (4-Star Records) 1950 -- Louisiana
    Rocky Bill Ford and his Rocky Road Ramblers - At My Expense - 4 Star Records
    (1950) 4 Star 1492 (0:00) ''Cool Down Mama'' b/w (2:14) ''Schoolboy'' Lost John Hunter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020