Stephen King's The Outsider - HBO Series airs 1/12/20

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Madness, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

I'll be checking this out, just because I am a huge Stephen King fan and I just have to watch everything that is brought to the big or small screen. I had no idea this was happening until I saw a commercial for it on TV today. I'm really interested to see what HBO does with this. I hated 11/22/63 on Hulu, and hated Under The Dome on CBS.

Lisey's Story is coming to Apple TV, TBA.

The Stand also TBA, coming to CBS.

Have not been able to see Mr Mercedes on the Audience Network (can't get that).

Stone Turntable and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. The Stand is going to be on their pay service s I recall for CBS. I like the slow burn of the series so far and the fidelity to the novel is great but it isn’t.n exact adaptation taking a txt to tell the same story in a more visually and narratively involving way.

3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Watched the first two episodes today and was very impressed, I'm definitely hooked and pissed off that I gotta wait for the next episode

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

DIRECTED by Mr. Bateman!

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm going to watch it after I finish the novel, which I started last night, so no spoilers please on both accounts! (Threads such as this often result in spoilers...)

6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I just avoid the thread until I'm caught up. Everyone wins!

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gave up with the book after 100 pages, life got in the way. I’ll get the HBO dvd .. assuming.

8. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This series is white knuckle television. Dark, brooding, mysterious and I can't look away. Through two episodes it's a slow creepy reveal

mdm08033, marmalade166 and Borgia like this.
  9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I wish, in a way, this was on Netflix. It would be a really easy series to binge watch, I think.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't like all of King's books but the ones that I do like I really like. This was one of them. Mr. Mercedes trilogy and 11/22/63 were four more I really enjoyed.

Chrome_Head and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

King is pretty busy with his twitter account. Always got a thing or two to say.
    Yeah, and he’s been mentioning The Outsider.

12. Great television!

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm definitely hooked. the first two episodes were great if not a little overrated by some critics. tone down the "law & order" type cop stuff and it'd be less a B rating and more of an A- all together.

i've not read the book, but i think i want to now.

14. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Really enjoyed the first two episodes.
    How long do we have to wait for the third and does anyone know how many episodes in total?

15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

10 episodes, on every Sunday.

gkella likes this.
  16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

Watched the first two episodes; I'm hooked! Really well done, but we'll see how it goes, knowing what the real story is after reading the book.

17. It’s definitely a slow burn mystery in many respects akin to the Bill Hodges triology (features one character from that series but played by. Different actress).

18. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I really enjoyed the book. My wife will not watch this after seeing the trailer (too spooky) but I might have to fit it in myself.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a very disturbing show, but the book is much, much more intense. I had actually forgotten that <a certain character> gets killed, and was surprised when it happened in the show. I don't like the casting of the show at all: these characters were much too "central casting" for me. The Little League coach in the book seemed to me like a 35-year-old former high school athlete who's now an English teacher... and what we got was Jason Bateman, who's a lot older and much too slick and "Hollywood" to be this character. I don't have a problem with him in Ozark, which I think is a very interesting and surprising show.

20. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I'm luvin' this show so far, have not read the book.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Interesting. I really like Bateman in general. Haven’t watched this one yet, though, and I haven’t read the book so I’m not sure your view will be as apparent to folks in my situation. I plan to start the series tonight.

Happy to see Ozark is returning soon!

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. I don’t read King but read and enjoyed this book after seeing reviews saying it was more a crime book. Tried to read Mr. Mercedes after but it wasn’t my thing.

23. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Still trying to figure out if this is a straight ahead crime mystery or if it has supernatural elements. After episode 3, I'm thinking the latter.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

yup...instead of 'the-butler-did-it', it's gonna be, 'the-evil-presence-did-it'!

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I must be in the minority. I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the book but if I hadn't I
    would be confused and bored by this mini-series.

ssmith3046 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.