Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

So I don’t need to subscribe to listen? Hmm

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I heard Subdivisions yesterday on the SirusXM Deep Tracks tribute channel.

3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I keep hoping they will start releasing full shows from each tour. Starting with Signals.

As a Rush live boot collector, that would be amazing.

4. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

You don't need to subscribe to BUY. In this case you would BUY them at the cost of $0. Once you do that you can either stream or download. I can confirm this as I did exactly that and am NOT a subscriber.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    fishcane likes this.
  5. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

the only songs played that were unique to that tour was countdown and chemistry

7. ElevatorSkyMovie

ytserush likes this.
  8. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder about the free audio books Helicopter Steve and for the tip about not needing to be a member of Audible jonboy71. I had heard about the offer but incorrectly thought I needed an Audible subscription to get the free audio books.

I searched google for “audible Neil Peart free”. In the results is a page with all 9 of his books listed. Login with your amazon login and purchase the first 7 books for free. Now add your phone number to send a link to your preferred listening device. In my case my phone. The link took me to the Audible App download. In the app, I could see all my Neil Peart books. While on WiFi, I can download the books I want for offline listening. Awesome!

Helicopter Steve and enro99 like this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Do we know of any that exist?

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

No, only speculation online. Many collectors think that Rush management multi-tracked several shows each tour starting with the Permanent Waves tour.

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I believe every show starting with Counterparts tour (Could be T4E) were digitally, multi tracked recorded thru soundboard.

George Co-Stanza and fishcane like this.
  12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

mikedifr0923, blehman, 905 and 2 others like this.
  13. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I'll take it and another version of "The Weapon".

ytserush likes this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

iirc the Signals tour version had a slightly longer Count Floyd intro.

Frozensoda and ytserush like this.
  15. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

That entire site is a complete steaming pile...

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm sure the infamous notebook(s) exists whether it would ever see the light of day as some special tribute is another question entirely. I imagine it would be quite the family heirloom however.

17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

One of the unintended consequences of this is that many are discovering this band for themselves finally and not going by what others may think of the band, their music, and they way they lived.

18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm kinda feel glad that is being recognized instead of listening to Tom Sawyer of Limelight for the 5,000th time.

19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Ladies and Gentleman, the click-bait website that shall not be named by me.

bloodisthin, Anthrax and puffyrock2 like this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

True, but the context of the set is also something to be experienced. Especially those UK/Euro shows.

DiabloG likes this.
  21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Different Count Floyd intro as well.

I wonder how many were recorded?

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yes absolutely.

In case anyone doesn't know - if you see any link with "AlternativeNation.com" as the site link do not even click on it. I think it beneficial to not give that site any views by clicking on the links, the site is a mix of clickbait to the tenth power and exploiting deaths of musicians for views.

23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain's and Jeff Buckley's notebooks were published. I don't see that happening with Neil, but you never know.

I thought Rush was mysterious in the '70s. To me, their album covers were like Zeppelin's or Floyd's - very cool images that went perfectly with the music. They themselves didn't say all that much. I had no idea they were funny, fairly regular guys offstage, and certainly no clue Lifeson was a total goofball. Neil was the most mysterious of the three, but they flew "under the radar," so to speak, until Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

The first interview I remember reading with any of them Rush was Neil in Modern Drummer in '80: Neil Peart's First MD Interview

I stopped listening to the band when Power Windows came out, and didn't come back 'til Different Stages. When I saw them on the Vapor Trails tour, 20 years after my last Rush show, their humor was much more upfront, and that air of mystery they had when I started following them in 1977/78 was gone.

By the time of Beyond The Lighted Stage, and later, Time Stand Still, it was clear these were not typical rock stars. In many ways, Rush is one of the the most unlikely rock 'n' roll success stories.

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

They may have just let Flaherty riff because he probably had that character down by that point. On the video he says “one half D” and on the Signals era boot he says “one and one half D lemme tell ya that”. And also he says “listen to that synthesizer...it doesnt even sound human” Thats not on the video. There are others but you get the idea.

25. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President