Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Universal's Audible Watermark

apesfan, JediJoker and MikeInFla like this.
  2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

That's asinine, if I PAY for a product I want it to BE the product not something with distortion thrown in during the quiet moments. I have heard it before but didn't know what it was. No idea on my Hemispheres download I'll have to listen with headphones on and check it out.

JediJoker and c-eling like this.
  3. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I think MP was an early digital recording. I have my copy noted as 24-48. Can't remember where I got it from. Would've been Pono, HDTracks or ProStudioMasters probably.

JediJoker and c-eling like this.
  4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

rcsrich, JediJoker and superstar19 like this.
  6. Weird.

7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

On Caress of Steel, I can easily hear it during sections that only have Neil's drumming (Lakeside Park's intro and Didacts and Narpets). It's also audible during the intros for Tom Sawyer on MP and The Weapon on Signals. All of my listening is done with headphones, so maybe that's why I can hear the artifacts.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Appreciate the examples, I will check it out with headphones and speakers. Most of my listening is headphones probably 75/25

9. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Yep, it could be. 24/48 smells like DAT recorder or something, but I pretty much sure it was recorded to tape. Then, what happened next in early day, who knows. Anyway, it's overkill to buy it even as 24/96, since never recorded like that! Maybe @Steve Hoffman could elaborate on that please :)

superstar19 likes this.
  10. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

The Blu-ray, although released later, is sourced from the same files as the Sector One DVD-A, i.e. the Van Dette stereo master and Chycki 5.1 mix. But when the Blu-ray was released, the Van Dette master had already been superseded by the Magee, so the included download card provided the latter.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Guys, the original stereo master for Moving Pictures is 16bit/44.1kHz.

It was recorded on analog tape, if the mixing was done on the first digital console or not is unclear, but the final stereo master is digital.

The 5.1 surround remix went back to the analog multitracks and was mixed in 24bit/96kHz.

The 2015 remaster used an analog tape copy, transfered and mastered in Hi-Res like it should have.

12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Or the fact that some LPs starting in the very early 80s use digital in the mastering process and still sound terrific. Just because it's digital (even early digital) doesn't mean it's crap. Conversely, plenty of 24/96 that's crap due to a poor master.

JulesRules, jamesc and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Completely agree.
    Was listening to Hearts-S/T, 1985 the other day. One of the worst analog recording's I've ever heard.

johnny q and DiabloG like this.
  14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Yep... compare that to something like Steve's CD mastering of Who's Next... sounds amazing and just lowly 16/44 mastered from analog.

DiabloG and c-eling like this.
  15. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

true, I have a near mint copy of this I acquired. I like the album but the vinyl was not pleasant to listen to.

16. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Why "as it should have"? The analog tape was derived from the 16/44.1 digital master (probably using 1980 DACs). How is that better than starting from the digital master and using a modern DAC (even if you are going to master in analog, as Sean does)?

As you mention, the analog multi-tracks were used for the surround mix. I doubt anyone is going to go back and do a remix straight from analog multis today, but even if they started with those (24/96) transfers, it would be a nice upgrade.

With Steven Wilson doing AFTK last year, I'm hopeful that he will be asked to do MP one day.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's not what I meant. It could be better to start from the original digital master if it still exists. What I meant is that it's better IMO to master any source, whether analog or digital, in "Hi-Res". I have already written my thoughts on the subject in this forum many times.

Billy Budapest and JediJoker like this.
  18. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Gotcha. Would that, in your opinion, also apply if the end result is vinyl? (Sorry; I have read many of your excellent posts, but don't recall seeing this specifically.) I don't see the value if the mastering engineer uses analog EQ and the end product is also analog. In that case, you're adding at least two extra A-D round trips.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It depends on what you want to do with the sound. If possible, digital master to all-analog mastering for vinyl sure is nice.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    JediJoker and Fractured like this.
  20. Krzysztof Maj

It is possible to have information what was the recording per Rush album - even digital, analog and on what?

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There are various articles scattered on the net... You can also analyse the Hi-Res files.
    Everything after (and including) Moving Pictures was mixed to digital (not sure about Signals, will have to check).
    At least up to and including Test for Echo, the original masters are 16-20bit(?)/44.1kHz.
    Not sure when they stopped recording on analog tape though.
    Vapor Trails seems to be a 44.1Hz recording mixed to 48kHz.
    Starting with Snakes & Arrows, the masters are full 24bit/96kHz.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Krzysztof Maj and DiabloG like this.
  22. Krzysztof Maj

Thanks. So, to be honest most of the so called remasters are not legit high resolution ones, never recorded like that. I could understand tape transfer to digital high res domain for that reason, but the rest, hm, just upsampled or dummy files.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

16bit/44.1kHz digital ceases to be just that as soon as you do something to it. It's no different than mastering analog tape.

24. Krzysztof Maj

How is it possible to record in 44.1kHz and mixed to odd 48kHz rather to 88.2kHz?

25. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Does anyone here have the 2015 Magee hi-res of ATWAS and Exit Stage Left? Best digital versions available? If they’re the same as the mastered for iTunes versions on Apple Music then I would buy them in a flash.