Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I have a lot of bootlegs from the Signals and Grace Under Pressure tours. It seems that there were two different versions of the Count Floyd intro to The Weapon. Maybe they alternate from show to show. They’re both funny, but the with the Synthesizer line is even funnier, I think.

Sean and ytserush like this.
  2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There may have been a rotation. I can't recall if the same one was used twice (at least from the versions out there.)

3. That’s a joke, it has to be, Weinberg isn’t even in the top 50 of best drummers. Karen Carpenter would arguably be above him on that list too.

sound chaser, Sean and Johnny Action like this.
  4. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Since the mid 80s whenever I’m about to watch a 3D movie, I turn to the person next to me and say, “If we don’t put the glasses on, we’ll only see this in 1/2 D!”
    To this day, nobody has ever gotten the reference.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Not anymore.

The Hud and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Me too........I have probably 6-7 VHS tapes of Rush concerts that came on TV back in the late 80's thru 90's I recorded. My most watched one is the GUP tour.............Have not played them in years, wonder how they are now, they are in a box somewhere.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No Signals soundboards Circulating so it would be nice as a bonus cd when the time comes.

ytserush likes this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

What’s the deal with the on stage laundromat?

10. ries

ries Forum Resident

Its a thing Rush did since early 2000 tours (think they even had something like that right up to the r40 tour), laundromats, popcorn machines, chickengrill, you name it. Always thought it was hilarious.

11. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

They dryers had bespoke T-shirts which they would throw into the audience at the end - was lucky enough to catch one at the final R30 show in Rotterdam...

Bizarrely - and luckily - I managed to also catch similar T-shirts on the 3 tours that followed...

BeatleJWOL, ries and enro99 like this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The rotisserie chickens.
    It all started when Geddy went to the in ear monitors and they needed something to fill the backline space behind him, so they came up with a different gimmick each time out.

ytserush, BeatleJWOL and ries like this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Not so much in-ears but the lack of cabinets onstage. On the Test for Echo tour he had a blend of both DI signals (clean and overdriven) with the Trace Elliot cabs and amps behind him... by the time they got back for Vapor Trails the amps went bye-bye

Alex also went cab-free starting in 2010, which is when the backline stuff got really sophisticated (tiny video screens built into the steampunk props and stuff)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    ytserush, ries, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its those cool little details.

ytserush likes this.
  15. ries

ries Forum Resident

always loved the barbie cheerleaders on Alex's spot

[​IMG]

16. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

It has been a very touching read, all of you guys' stories and other tributes and writings I have read online. When I first got this news, some hours had passed since the even, and it shocked me to my core. As with most people outside Peart's circle, I had no idea of his illness but merely hoped for him to enjoy his retirement to the fullest; if anything, write more books or give interviews; who knows. It was just a thrill to know that, even if I personally never got to see Rush live, they would still be out there breathing and living and shining on.

Personally, Rush took very little time for me to get into. I was probably 20 when I got hold of 2112, though I had read about them here and there, being a fan of progressive rock and, yes, being exposed to I Love You Man which was a nice little movie that had a nice sentiment. But there was a brief winter eight, nine years ago where I progressed from being aware of Rush to being into Rush - big time. The lyrics lit a fire in me; so many of the thoughts and ideas put to paper and then to sound presented here felt natural for me to hear. Signals quickly became a favorite; lyrically and in terms of sound, I must say the peak years of Rush for me are the 1980's. I will never tire of any of their other albums, though, with especially Counterparts, Fly by Night and 2112 remaining deeply anchored in my musical heart. And as much as it evokes rebellion, slight decadence and mild debauchery to put one in the frame of mind of the - to me - mythical 1970's, the title track of 2112 has always been a massive emotional listen for me. Playing it back recently, after this news had been announced, I was overcome with emotion somewhere in the middle of the song; but as with most of Rush's material it is always light and shade; you are never in a downcast mood for too long before the exuberance of classics such as The Analog Kid or even more obscure pearls such as Marathon brings you right back in your place. And though mortal souls may pass, their musical footprints will remain cast in iron in the cracks of our slippery musical brains.

Reading about Peart's life, his influences, his trials and tribulations, I could relate to a lot of what I was reading. I play the drums, I am a bit of a geek, have always had a better time keeping to myself, reading books and listening to music, but have no issue partaking in given events. It was always a tremendous relief knowing that one of the most creative and brilliant drummers of all time was someone in whom you could mirror yourself; rather than being entirely unapproachable. Much as Peart's talent was unique, he was a humble, unassuming and gentle human being - obviously. Over the past ten days I have revisited some of the Rush areas in which I thought I had completely lost track, but felt an instant welcome home. Again, the group is one of my all time favorites and personally this death has left a larger trace than that feeling I experienced when Bowie, Cohen and others of the same stature passed not too long ago.

I realise this may be an overlong, pretentious read, but I have kept track of this thread ever since the terrible news broke and have thought long and hard if I could muster any courage to put some thoughts down. RIP Neil Peart; my no. 1 musical hero of all-time.

mikedifr0923, Thorpy, enro99 and 15 others like this.
  17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

No Rush song has moved like this one in the past week or so. I was still in single digit age when I first heard it, and now my own nostalgia for a "better vanished time" seems sometimes overwhelming. The idea of prog rock "masterpieces" may be ludicrous to some music fans, and the idea of this kind of music being emotional and moving seems like an alien concept to many. But for me, this song is their masterpiece. It's a stunningly perfect marriage of lyrics, story, and musical arrangement.

Red Barchetta

My uncle has a country place
    That no one knows about
    He says it used to be a farm
    Before the Motor Law
    And on Sundays I elude the eyes
    And hop the Turbine Freight
    To far outside the Wire
    Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
    As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
    Run like the wind
    As excitement shivers up and down my spine

Down in his barn
    My uncle preserved for me an old machine
    For fifty odd years
    To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
    That hides a shining car
    A brilliant red Barchetta
    From a better vanished time
    I fire up the willing engine
    Responding with a roar
    Tires spitting gravel
    I commit my weekly crime

Wind
    In my hair
    Shifting and drifting
    Mechanical music
    Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me
    Across the mountainside
    A gleaming alloy air car
    Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
    I spin around with shrieking tires
    To run the deadly race
    Go screaming through the valley
    As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
    Straining the limits of machine and man
    Laughing out loud with fear and hope
    I've got a desperate plan

At the one-lane bridge
    I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
    Race back to the farm
    To dream with my uncle at the fireside

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

Im really happy the Presto and Roll your Bones qobuz 24 bit 96khz or 192khz albums sound much thicker.

enro99 likes this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I stopped at Power Windows also. I always kept track of their new albums, but I didn't start listening again until I won Vapor Trails as part of a radio promotion. As far as the air of mystery, that started to disappear for me when they toured Vapor Trails. But as a kid in the 80s around the time of Moving Pictures, I didn't know what to make of these guys, other than I liked the music. Beyond The Lighted Stage was the last nail in the coffin of their air of mystery. Great movie though.

misteranderson likes this.
  21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Were those real chickens?

Despite Geddy not having any cabs onstage, the R30 gig I went to at Radio City was loud enough to feel Neil's bass drum in your chest in the balcony. It was very clear too, great mix that night. My ears were ringing the next morning, and that's the last time that happened.

ytserush likes this.
  22. Outside of the Grateful Dead, It’s probably the closest band that I’ve ever seen which which comes even close to the level of dedication it’s fans have for the band. That documentary was great. I also recommend the Blu-ray, Time Stands Still.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2020
  23. Yes, real rotisserie, with a chef on stage each night to tend to the oven.

Rush - Rock 'n' Roll's Most Memorable Stage Props & Features: Part 2 | HeyLiveMusic

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

beautiful.

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

musicarus, ytserush, gdpeck and 5 others like this.