Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

A Bear Family box with the 4 Star recordings of Maddox Brothers and Rose would be great. Some of it appeared on Arhoolie CDs but a Bear Family update with their complete early output would be nice (to complement their Columbia BF box) : Praguefrank's Country Discography 2: Rose Maddox

2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It’d be nice if they reprinted their other box on them, too. I lent mine years ago like a fool and it never returned.

melstapler likes this.
  3. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Amazon has the Fats Domino box for $263 shipping in 1-2 months.
    The previous Out of New Orleans box is up to $655 (glad I got mine when it was new).

melstapler likes this.
  4. darling

darling Senior Member

There are (at least) two amazon.com listings for Out of New Orleans - the other has it for $300 new ($125 used).

At this point, there really is no reason to get the old set - the new set is bigger and better. (And, obviously, you should pick one up from bim-bam.com (or elsewhere) ASAP. The box might be back in print one day, it might not, so grab it while you still can.)

melstapler, jimbo3688, DR.J and 3 others like this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I assumed the Arhoolie CDs contained all their surviving 4 Star material, don't they? Regardless, I'd love if BF could do anything to improve the sound quality of those releases.

melstapler likes this.
  6. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Just ordered from bim-bam. The web site sure looks sketchy. Thanks for the tip (I think).

jimbo3688 and baptistbusman like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Amazon USA is notorious for listing items that they will never receive

melstapler and MrSka57 like this.
  8. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

I did as well.

DR.J and melstapler like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

A Young Young
    :shh:

Mr. H and melstapler like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

:righton: Faron's photo reminds me that we must embrace the positive aspects of life even in trying times.

Mr. H, Tribute and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  13. Amazon will at some point delete the listing and cancel the orders. Very seldom does anything that shows 1-2 months ever actually arrive.

MrSka57 and melstapler like this.
  14. Svein Arne

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    melstapler likes this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Historically this has been very true, however I get the impression lately that they don’t like to stock as well as they used to. I’ve had plenty show up in the last 6 months or so that was listed that way.

Having said that you’re probably right in this case. Still worth the effort for those looking.

The Killer, MrSka57 and melstapler like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was actually surprised that Amazon Germany shipped most of their stock after the issues became known, and that you could buy one from them only a short while back

17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Can anyone help me verify something? I've bought The Weaver box set twice, both times used although the second time I didn't know it was used-the store made no mention of it being used/opened. Anyway, both times disc 5, a DVD, was missing. Does this set actually contain a 5th DVD disc?

It seems odd that I would get a set without a DVD two times. But on the otherhand it is mentioned as being part of the package and there is room in the packaging for it. I think the previous owner of both sets just took the DVD.

melstapler likes this.
  18. rod

rod Senior Member

The set included a DVD.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Yes. I saw it in other listings when I looked it up. I guess I've just struck out twice with the set. Luckily the store acknowledged their mishap and gave me a refund even though they generally only do store credit. The search for this set in full continues.

20. GodBlessTinyTim

Is it remotely possible that you bought the exact same copy again? Maybe Bear would send you a replacement.

I had awful luck with this two-disc early Patsy Cline set, I had to try four copies to get one with the booklet. Patsy Cline - Crazy Dreams - The Four Star Years

The Killer likes this.
  21. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

New batch in today, mostly non Bear. The one I'm most excited about is the Johnnie Lee Wills, been scouting for this one for a while, it's on Krazy Kat.

[​IMG]

22. Svein Arne

That is great,it got noise from the 78s it is copied from.Good sound and it rocks.

The Killer likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

Nice work finding that Johnnie Lee Wills CD, it took me a good year of occasional eBay/Amazon/Discogs checks for that one. As Svein mentioned, the sound isn't always immaculate but it's the only place you'll hear most of the performances. It's remarkable that all four Wills brothers were able to assemble great western swing bands.

The Killer likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as long as I've been buying BF Records releases they have yet to best the Dean Martin box sets!

25. Svein Arne

Here is a great Cowboy Copas CD you can try to find:
    Cowboy Copas - Circle Rock (CD) - Rock & Roll | eBay

baptistbusman likes this.