Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have this on a well mastered Japanese CD and it is one of my favorite Mahler recordings.

Daedalus likes this.
  3. Daedalus

I will be spinning this shortly. Very old MK record. In very good shape sonically.[​IMG]

royzak2000 and bruce2 like this.
  4. Someone In A Tree

Someone In A Tree Crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples

[​IMG]
    I let the laser do its thing on tracks 1-3 (Missa), before converting the signal from digital to analogue and pushing it out of my speakers. Long story short, I was transported to a pre-Columbian world of voices and vaulted stone in Ockeghem's Missa Fors Seulement (Clerks' Group / ASV).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Daedalus likes this.
  5. Daedalus

I should have added some background to the post above concerning the Stravinsky. It was a performance conducted by Konstantin Ivanov who was one of the “older” generation of Soviet era conductors. His recordings in physical format are generally hard to find online. However I have found many of his recordings available on my music streaming app( not free app). Edit: luckily there are a fair number of recordings with Alexander Gauk and N Golovanov also available digitally.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have two Ivanov recordings in a curious Japanese Victrola set that was part of what must have been some sort of music appreciation series. I bought several, but by no means all that were on offer, at a used record sale 20 years ago. In each of these issues, two LPs are included in a big, red uniform style box (size of a Time-Life set) devoted to music of a single composer together with a lavishly produced book about that composer--in Japanese, alas. In short, a huge expenditure of shelf space for the music provided. The sets contain some worthy classic performances, however.

The Ivanov recordings are in the Beethoven and Tchaikowsky boxes. In the former, he conducts the "Eroica"; in the latter, a very strange account of the 1812 Overture, strange because at the end, in place of the "God Save the Tsar" theme, it interpolates a chorus from Glinka's "A Life for the Tsar," then lurches back to Tchaikowsky's score, the transitions at both ends being extremely abrupt and disconcerting.

[Edit] Checking an alternate spelling, I find that I have the same recording of Petrouchka, but it is in a different cover:

[​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  7. Daedalus

Is your Petrouchka issued by MK or on Melodiya label?

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

It's MK. Sorry for the dinky photo; for some reason, it came out very small, and I don't quite "get" how to make flickr work to get it bigger than thumbnail size. Anyhow, catalogue number is the same as in your photo.

Daedalus likes this.
  9. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

You can change the s to a b at the end of the URL for a (b)igger version:

[​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  10. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I picked this up on a whim and I'm enjoying it today. The surfaces are clean and the sound is good to boot :righton:
    [​IMG]
    J.S. Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier. João Carlos Martins, pianist. Connoisseur Society / The Classics Record Library.

mBen989 and George P like this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thank you! I was sorry the cover didn't show well, because I think it's unusually good/attractive/effective/appealing/whatever you choose to call it. If I were framing album covers without concern for orphaning their records, this would be at the head of my list to display.

Shifting gears just slightly, anybody have a recommendation for a really good account of Stravinsky's other "p" ballet, Pulcinella? That one is something of a hole in my collection.

[edit] By the by, I find it interesting that Petrouchka, of all things, received a relatively complete recording on acoustic 78s when much "standard" literature, like, say, Beethoven's piano sonatas or Mozart's symphonies, was barely represented on record if at all. What's more, the set must have sold pretty well, considering that it is hardly a rarity today. The performance was by the Royal Albert Hall Or. directed by Eugene Goossens and appeared in the United States on Victor blue label records 55245 through 55248. The recordings were made in December 1923 and January 1924.

Daedalus likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Have you considered one of the composer's recordings?

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

No, by virtue of not even being aware it existed. Thanks for the tip, George!

George P likes this.
  14. George P

No problem. There is an earlier recording as well, but I've read from a trusted source that the later one is better.

Daedalus and drh like this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Not exactly audio system demo material, although it's perfectly listenable, but the performance is excellent.

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Great playing and great sound.

[​IMG]

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am very glad that I found a copy of this CD.
    Uto Ughi
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Leonard Slatkin
    Dvorak: Violin Concerto; Four Romantic Pieces; Romance
    RCA Victor, 1991
    Recorded at Abbey Road
    Violin: Guarneri del Gesu "ex Ole-Bull", 1744
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Marzz, royzak2000 and Zafu like this.
  18. Daedalus

I took delivery on this set yesterday! I am very much enjoying it so far. Thanks for the post.

George P likes this.
  19. Daedalus

There are mono and stereo versions conducted by Stravinsky for Columbia. Also highly worth listening to would be Ansermet’s recordings along with Bernstein. Just a few-there are many others out there which I have not heard. Edit: Rozhdestvensky and Svetlanov both conducted it. I don’t have the Rozhdestvensky in my collection( yet!).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  20. Daedalus

What he said!

George P likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Here is one.[​IMG]

Marzz and royzak2000 like this.
  22. dale 88

You're welcome.

23. George P

Can you tell me if the set comes in one fatboy case? I am trying to get an idea how much room I need for it on the shelf.

24. dale 88

Yes, it is one fat plastic case. approx 7/8 inches wide. Nearly one inch wide with the paper case cover.

George P likes this.
  25. George P

Thanks!