Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, I like both movies although Beyond The Lighted Stage is the far better one.

2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

As much as I love Rush, I found the Time Stand Still one very underwhelming. Too much emphasis on a small number of fans. Beyond the Lighted Stage, on the other hand, was so damn good.

musicarus and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yes. So so damn good. But the Jack Black parts are cringy.

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

He doesn't bother me, and his parts were pretty few and brief, IIRC.

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

True. Usually I like him. Its also surprising to me to see people like Reznor and Corgan were fans.

musicarus and George Co-Stanza like this.
  6. This! I couldn’t agree more. As bad as, if not worse than Caryn Elaine Johnson in the Beatles documentary. And that’s saying something. Wow.

7. Me too, but I was able to appreciate TSS as testament to the Rush fan base, more in-depth in that documentary.
    As shocked and saddened as I was when we lost Jerry, and I’m still bothered by that to this day. Neal was even more shocking and in a way so unexpected. Almost two weeks later and I’m still so sad. This forum had been cathartic.

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

So has listening to the music and seeing him speak and reading his words.

9. Amen. It’s the reason I watched both Blu-ray documentaries which sat unopened in my library. And of course the music.
    My heart breaks for Geddy and Alex.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

and Olivia.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Very nice. Thanks for posting this. :)

13. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

R.I.P. Neil Peart

You were definitely one of a kind.
    I will never forget your contributions to music and your ability to keep things on a human level, in spite of your success. Truly inspirational!

No joke, I think I've listened to Moving Pictures and more specifically, "The Camera Eye" about 100 hundred times over the past few days. I still marvel at it's majestic musical landscape. A masterpiece!

Bravo Neil!

musicarus, Dave, boboquisp and 3 others like this.
  14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Complete with ring wear! Love it

Markyp likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

Not a big fan of Jack Black ... but, he did have a great line; to wit: "... and then I saw the Master, Neil Peart." 'Nuff said.

musicarus and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

This is really wonderful, thank you!

17. I agree. Moving Pictures is one of the great masterpieces ever recorded. I’ve played the enter disc about 5 times in past two weeks. I have the 2011 remaster, MFSL gold, Blu-ray audio and DVD-Audio. It’s as fresh and relevant today as the day it was released. Masterpiece is an understatement.

musicarus, GodShifter, Leroyd and 3 others like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Funny I think this is the first step away from the quality that led up to it. Obv they were stepping into new mainstream waters and that had broad appeal. For me the money is on the 2112-permanent waves era, with hemispheres being their unrivaled masterpiece. That said, the run from there thru grace under pressure is still masterful, by any standard

Dave, musicarus and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I think I see where you're coming from. My favourites from that era are 2112 and Farewell To Kings, but Hemispheres is up there too, no doubt. Thing is, so is Moving Pictures, despite the different style.

Fortunately for all of us, Rush never made a bad album. One can find favourites from beginning to end.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They lost me during the synth heavy years.

Leroyd likes this.
  21. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

Me too...a little.

Leroyd likes this.
  22. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Me to at the time, I’ve since seen the error of my ways. :agree:

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

So much this. I've had the Rush tribute channel on XM running for my commuting over the last 10 days and the depth of texture in this band is outstanding.

24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

It was my first tour and would absolutely love a professional release of the tour. I really hope when things calm down they release a ton of shows. My favorite release is the abbreviated grace under pressure tour video. They are at the height of their live performances. Neil was just a monster (temples of syrinx). So many fans just never saw them back then or haven't watched those videos.

JasonPC, ytserush and marblesmike like this.