Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You may find a few opinions within the 253 pages of this thread. There is also another thread about issues:
    Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set Issues

2. So the hidden Meddle isn’t on all pressings of The Early Years box? Or was it just removed for the individual release?

3. moodyxadi

moodyxadi Forum Resident

Only
    only in the first edition of the big box

4. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's only on the versions in the megauber box set, I think, and even then, it's not accessible by menu.

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Worried about offending the forum

6. I didn’t see any “checking out” there. He was looking at the backup singers—you can’t even tell if it was fury specifically—because they were singing while he was getting ready to play. Nothing blatant. I think you guys have quite good imaginations!

7. Right—do all versions of the BIG box set have it? That’s what I meant.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  8. I haven’t seen the original cut of DSOT since the early 1990’s. Was it ever released on DVD? Never mind—I see it was released on Video CD (and missing “Money”) but not DVD.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's on my one, but I got mine in December 2016. It might not be in later versions - depends if they reauthored the disc for a second pressing - if there was one or a second run (Was there one?). Definitely not on the stand alone sets.

Hattipper and Billy Budapest like this.
  10. What’s the “second edition” of the big box? I know you can buy all the separate releases put together into a box of sorts. However, I am talking about the “uber box.” Will all copies of that have it?

11. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Wiki doesn’t state that any individual country’s releases do or don’t, just that it’s avail in the box content. Interestingly the discogs entry for the UK/Europe release specifically does not include the note about Meddle while the US and Japan release pages do:

Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972

Billy Budapest likes this.
  12. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Speaking of The Early Years...this thread has had me revisiting that set over the past few weeks, and I’m struck at how different these two sets are in their presentation. Not just graphics and all the discussion about the art, but to me TEY is itself a story: the creative naming and themes of each of the discs, the linear sequence of content over time, how the content on each disc type follows the same general format, even the way they sit on a shelf like books.

To me that’s what makes TLY box just another boxset, just another collection of bits, and what’s missing from the excitement. Don’t get me wrong: I have an unhealthy habit of purchasing and loving box sets, but I haven’t made the leap on this one and don’t know that I will. The bar was set too high with TEY in a complete thematic representation of that time period. TLY just feels like a random box of stuff. Amazing stuff, but just stuff, not a story.

Sytze, FranPF99, Doctorbox4 and 4 others like this.
  13. Brautigan

Brautigan Well-Known Member

Has anyone checked out the new Radiohead.com library? Now THAT's how to release a load of 'difficult' Later Years work to the masses. No need for budgeen-bursting box sets there...

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I love Guy's playing on those live versions and I'm disappointed his solos were removed. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one responsible for deciding what to include and what to leave out. :D

15. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Yeah. It seems there are a lot of old folks obsessed with this woman.
    I mean, yes she was pretty, but there are pretty women all over the place... c'mon move on.

16. mutant_matt

mutant_matt Well-Known Member

Nice idea. I did this with the 5.1 hi-res of the Jimi Hendrix 50th anny set last year as the stereo mix (both CD and hi-res), were not re-mixed, and sound god awful quality.

However, why not start from the hi-res 2.0 version supplied on the Blu instead, so that you preserve the (stereo) mix as intended exactly, but still get the better dynamic range of the downmix/decimation?

I've done exactly this but haven't got round to ripping any of the CDs in the set yet, so I can't yet compare the result of that, to the CD in the box for myself but it sounds like I'll be using "my" stereo version in future then?

Cheers,

Matt.

rontoon likes this.
  17. FranPF99

FranPF99 Well-Known Member

I'm happy to finally have DSOT remastered, Venice, Knebworth,etc but yeah you've got a point there. I wonder if we'll see a "Middle Years" box set as I read since a lot from those years is already covered with Inmersion Box Sets. Don't see the point in releasing another overpriced box set when we've probably alreday seen most of it, but who knows!

18. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I agree completely! In fact, I am thinking that this remix is orders of magnitude better than the original. It finally sounds like a Pink Floyd album!

It sounds lush, and rich, and organic. It no longer has that sterile feeling about it. When AMLOR dropped, I listened to it a LOT, though I never grew to love it. I liked it, sure. But until now it has remained my least favorite PF album. To me, it was trying too hard to sound like Pink Floyd, and in that regard, IMHO, generally failed. Sure there were some classic Floyd-isms, but again the whole thing just seemed very sterile, mechanical, and cold.

But the warmth has returned! In a big way! I LOVE this version! I know I'm "late to the party" but I am a convert now. AMLOR is now, a Great F***ing Pink Floyd album!

I really hope they release it standalone at some point. It it too good to be locked away in an expensive box set that many will never acquire (myself included) due to the exorbitant price tag.

19. Terry

Terry Senior Member

For someone who was leery of this box set, I am digging it.

20. Billy_Sunday

The differences may be subtle - but what IS different really does the trick for me. As I just mentioned, to me anyway, it finally sounds like a Pink Floyd album. And a good one at that!

Hattipper likes this.
  21. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

The Blu-ray restoration, re-edit and remix of Delicate Sound of Thunder is phenomenal. One of the best concert films I've ever seen.

pinkrudy, Big Pasi, SteveFff and 5 others like this.
  22. Billy_Sunday

Isn't Money and/or CN edited down somewhat on the Knebworth discs?

23. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I cannot find my original tape from the Knebworth show but yes, I believe so for both songs.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

I like hearing AMLOR with some fat bass now. Back in the day it almost seemed like the bass was somewhat lost in the mix - and in my mind I figured it had something to do with it being the first Floyd album without Roger on bass. Let's make up for Roger's absence by mixing the bass into the background. Or something.

I've only listened to the new mix 3 times so far, but each pass has been better than the previous. I am really digging it!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Thank God I’m not the only one. Sometimes I think my fellow forumites hate bass :D

The new mix of AMLOR has much more depth, and thankfully it actually has bass. The original mix sounds thin, lifeless, plastic and anemic in my opinion. This new mix sounds fantastic and breathes life and power into this otherwise dull and lifeless album. Simply it now sonically sounds as good as Division Bell which was a sonic masterpiece by comparison to the original AMLOR.

For context however, just speaking to my personal tastes. Until this new remix AMLOR was one of my least favorite...if not my least favorite of the entire Pink Floyd catalogue, while Division Bell has always been in my top 5.

Billy_Sunday and enro99 like this.