Pipkins, " GIMMIE DAT DING "

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WLL, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

After looking up much information about the pipkins, I discovered they are on Pandora after all:p! I recall that in 1970, my mother bought T
    the " GDD " 45!!!!!!!!!:yikes:
    Looking this up, I found umpteen non-American single sleeves for " Gimmie " which portrayed them as a " real " group - All I recall ever seeing before Is an American sleeve that had Some somewhat " odd " imagery to it.
    Somehow, I think the guys on those pic sleeves were not Tony Burrows and Roger Greenaway!:laughup::frog:
    Th' PipsDID manage a Top Ten hit over almost the entire Five Is/Anglosphere world:bigeek: - a point for corporate synergy:goodie:!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Larry L, Grootna and Damiano54 like this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Haven't thought about that song for years ! Thanks for the reminder.

guitarman1969 likes this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

4. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

:love: :love: :love:
    I remember in the early days of the internet, I'd hunt high and low for anything to do with Pipkins and Hartley Hare, but all I'd ever find would be stuff about some single called "Gimme Dat Ding" :laugh:

Of course now there's loads of stuff about the show, and even five DVDs of episodes - one of mine is even signed by Hartley's own paw!

6. WLL

...Do you have the Freddie Varsity material?
    The guy you replied Tom's presumed pic down"t go up.

7. Michel_LeGrisbi

8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I don't actually know anything about the group The Pipkins - in the 70s, Pipkins was a children's TV show in the UK about a group of somewhat scary-looking puppets. I was (and still am) a huge fan of it. stepeanut's post was a picture of Hartley Hare, a character from the show.

9. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

You have to be in the UK....... That's so funny

10. Michel_LeGrisbi

11. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I believe I still have that 45 which I bought when it came out. What was I thinking?

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

70's singer songwriter Albert Hammond could write catchy songs indeed

14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

This is a Jonathan King thing is it not, well he did have his finger in many novelty releases in those days.

15. Rockin' Ricky

Rockin' Ricky Forum Resident

This record never fails to get me in a good mood! My granddaughter mostly listens to whatever's popular with the youths, but she simply adores this song, having been introduced to it on a road trip in my Ford Focus. For a while, we'd always say "That's right, that's right!" in a gravelly sort of voice when agreeing on something, and once she even did the "Gimmie dat ding!" thing when I was slow to pass the salt! We've mostly stopped now, seeing as her amusement wasn't as long lived as her old grandpa's, but I still chuckle to myself whenever I remaniss about those golden days!

Gumboo, Dennis Metz, Suncola and 2 others like this.
  16. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

This is not the single version I remembered.
    The "Albert Hammond" version sounds more like it.

17. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Though I was only 6 years old at the time, I can still remember the Golddiggers singing this song on the Dean Martin Show in 1970. I've never been able to find a clip of it, unfortunately.

18. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

I have my brother's old 45 of this somewhere at the house. I bought the mp3 from Amazon as well. Catchy little ditty!

mestreech likes this.
  19. WLL

...IIRC what I read, the Pipkins mostly originated as soundtrack music for this m UK kid's show..." GDD " was perhaps the only song not vocalized by Freddie Garrity, vocalize by By=odd-Greenaway instead and was spun off into a " real " pop 45 release - A " GDD" " real " pop music LP came out in America, I am unclear whether this " ' pop ' Pipkins ":laughup: album came out at all in Blighty.:evil:

As I said, the various non-US 45 sleeves depicting " pop music " Pipkins were new to me - I don't think I knew about its kid show origins originally but writings on if cite a number of different performersthat they say Furrows-Greenaway were trying to imitate, including Arte Johnson's old character from LAUGH-IN (was that seen in Britain then:confused:?) - However, the theatrical thick lips and gloved hands I recall the Pips being depicted with on the Capitol LP sleeve made me me think of something else -

20. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Seeing a thread about this record has really warmed my heart. I remember my eldest brother buying it for me in a charity shop in 1981 (I was 12!) and it always put a smile on my face.

Suncola likes this.
  21. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

You can jam to Hartley too ;)

AlmostHeavenWV and Phil Tate like this.
  22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I remember the Pipkins lip-syncing that song (and another not so catchy song about a telephone) on American Bandstand. I'm not sure if those 2 guys were actually the ones singing on the record. The high-voiced one introduced himself as "Mr. Pipkin" and the low-voiced one tried to teach Dick Clark how to tap dance. They spoke in the same voice registers as the singers on the record.

23. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

one of my wife's favorite songs from her past - she has a box of 45s she bought back then and this was one of them.

It sounds like its Wolfman Jack throwing down with some crazy RuthBuzzi soundalike - but it cant be -

anybody know who they were? Are they in fact British or is that just a coincidental connection?

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Isn't that the puppets from the later series?

25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The song was originally written for Freddie and the Dreamers' TV show "Little Big Time", it had a story-piece called "Oliver in the Overworld". There was an album made of the story with songs, of which "Gimme Dat Ding" was one of them (but did sound like it had been dropped in!).

Later, they made a distinct series of that story, and a new soundtrack album of only songs, almost all of which were new. Meanwhile, "Gimme Dat Ding" was a hit for The Pipkins, and they got to appear on a split LP with The Sweet on the other side (not even Spinal Tap could top that one).

(All the LPs I have mentioned are hard/expensive to find).

Lost In The Flood and willy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.