UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I've been to one of these shops and to be honest I wasn't impressed by the music section. It's the same stock that you see at other charity shops, but priced a lot higher. Even higher than you can find the same title online. Unfortunately, you really need someone who cares about music, and knows the sorts of titles that will sell at that price point.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well, whatever happens to my donations once I've handed them in is their business I suppose. It just seems fruitless to give away some quite nice stuff to a BHF that won't really care what they are, and probably won't sell them. They have piles of stuff as it is.

I used to prefer donating them to local Hospice shops, but those became inaccessible or moved away.

EG.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

A shop here in Liverpool city centre that sells most of it,s stock for close to a £1 an item had some cd,s for sale
    I got a brand new sealed REM - Monster cd for £1 :righton:

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

A true rarity :D

EG.

RobNeil, garrincha and MC Rag like this.
  5. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I was over the moon as you could imagine ;)

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Ditto. I got this one a short time ago but I hardly played it because I was busy with New Favourite, which I liked better. She has such a stunning voice and I've not heard music like this from anyone else.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

They vary - the one I take my donations to has a good selection and they often have things you don't see much in charity shops. The prices are higher than other charity shops but apart from the odd item where you think "what?" they're mostly ok when compared to other places you can buy (eBay, MM etc.) I use this shop for my donations, not for most of my buying though!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

Today picked up a couple of great ones for 50c each at the local charity shop, ...i walked out with 25...
    some Radiohead Ok Computer, Hail To The Thief, In Rainbows, Blur Beatlebum, The Pixies Dolitte, Placbo Sleeping With Ghostsand Black Market Music,
    and a load of Bright Eyes CDs and a few soundtracks, all in all delighted with what i picked up :)
    all in mint condition too not a scratch !

9. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

A first for me today; I had to browse the CD racks by the light of my phone's flashlight. The charity shop's power was out but they'd opened anyway, and the windowless premises was in darkness.

10. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Don't keep us in the dark! Did you find anything worthwhile?

11. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dedication, I like it.

12. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Darkness back catalogue, obvs
    Lights Out - UFO
    Shoot out The Lights - Richard Thompson
    Turn Out The Lights - Julien Baker
    etc
    etc

13. minibreakfast

Could have really done with some ELO or Power Station.

14. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Lightbulb Sun
    Back in Black
    Flick Of The Switch

15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I wonder if they had

Lights Out by Peter Wolf?

(Now that WOULD be a find)... :D

EG.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Having reminded myself of the records in Cancer Research I looked again today, they still had them, still overpriced though the one I would have bought was £20 not £25, still £15 more than Discogs though.:shake:

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Today I spotted (but didn’t buy) Under a Raging Moon by Roger Daltrey. Any good?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I like the singles. A lot. Never played the whole thing! :o

EG.

19. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I'd say no, all the tracks are the original, pre-remastered versions. There's an advert in the booklet for the remastered albums Magical Ring, Legend, Macalla, and Sirius, but all the production credits on this 2CD are the original ones. I found the sound to be very good to my ears, and will make sure I avoid the remastered albums, thanks for the tip-off. I have the original CD of Magical Ring, which also sounds fine to me.

Eric_Generic and Bleu Noir like this.
  20. minibreakfast

Several good quality new arrivals in one of my regulars today. Managed to limit myself to just four:

The xx - Coexist
    St Vincent - St Vincent
    The Tarantino Experience Take III (2 -disc compilation)
    My Morning Jacket - Circuital

This particular branch charges £1 for single discs and £2 for double sets. It also does something that's a real pet hate of mine: it tapes up all CDs with horrible cheap sticky tape that splits into little shreds when you try to peel if off to inspect the disc. Not so bad for jewel cases that can be popped open at the hinges, but often a disaster for digipaks. Anyway, the My Morning Jacket was marked as a 2-disc set, and I was pretty sure this wasn't the case. After scrabbling with the tape I finally got it open to reveal one disc in one side of the gatefold, and just the expected booklet in the other. The volunteer at the till amended the price no problem, but I'm glad I had the patience to check before buying.

God I hate tape. Hate it. :mad:

21. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Agree, especially on digipaks. My pet hate is when they put a price sticker on a digipak or slipcase or box set (or book, come to that) and THEN write the price (and often a date code) on the sticker. When you peel off the price sticker you have this writing engraved on the front of the digipak. I've had things that were perfect when donated spoilt in this way. Bad shops do this :realmad:. Good shops write the stickers first before sticking them on :angel:. I've wanted to rant about that for a long time - thanks for listening!

22. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Maybe that's what was meant when they used to put "Home Taping Is Killing Music" on LP inner sleeves.

23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

couple of pick ups in East Dulwich last week - can't remember which store(s)

Morrissey - Your Arsenal (£1)
    Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs (50p)

the Waits is not one I've seen in the wild before, so seemed a nice score at 50p. I was chatting to my pal while sifting through the multitude of cd's, so it was only when I got home that the disc inside the Waits is actually Massive Attack - Blue Lines

damn! that's what happens when you've got a buddy tagging along and your eye isn't completely on the ball!

oh well

24. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

At least Blue Lines is one of the greatest albums every made...Coulda been a Robbie Williams :yikes:

25. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Picked the following up at Thames Hospice:

George Michael - Faith
    Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
    Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
    Sade - Love Deluxe
    Human League - Greatest Hits
    Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - it’s Blitz
    Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits
    Echo & The Bunnymen- Ocean Rain
    Crowded House - Recurring Dream
    Simply Red - A New Flame

All on CD for a quid each. Not bad for £11.