Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Nope. Not allowed. Someone a couple of pages back said we're all supposed to regret buying it. :p

2. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

Regarding the bass levels, that first 'boing boing' sound at the beginning of YAM is a bit overpowering. I don't hear any distortion in the mix, but at very high volume the sub frequencies in that part of the song can make speakers distort. Since I was making a mix combining what I like in the old mix and the new one, I went ahead and tweaked that part of the song a bit to tame it.

Overall, I think the bass levels and placement in the mix are great now. They really help open up and drive the songs more than the old mix.

jonnyslb and Billy_Sunday like this.
  3. mutant_matt

mutant_matt Well-Known Member

I don't hear any distortion in the mix either (if you turn it down and listen really carefully, if there *were* any distortion in the mix, you'd hear it here). There is also no clipping, the more common (sadly) form of distortion that *is* still a problem in the music industry, as I think most of us are sadly very aware! :(

However, what it does seem to be is a lot of very low, "fat" bass, which certainly "challenges" your system (especially the "bong bongs"). I have some fairly decent Monitor Audio speakers powered by Linn amplification and the system blows me away with how nice it sounds, and how deep and controlled the bass is on most content. It just about copes with the start of YAM, when it's turned up fully loud!

I also had a quiet and a loud listen on my crappy PC speakers (with small, crappy "subwoofer"), and at low volume it sounded fine, but at much louder volume, I thought the sub was going to rip itself apart! ;( :(

The content is fine, the delivery system matters (as does the volume), it's certainly a challenging section for any system (I need to go an give it a listen on some mate's systems who have much better systems than I do) :)

BTW, I LOVE the new mix, both in stereo and even better in 5.1!!! :) I am a fan of bass as long as it's well defined/fast/tight, and doesn't overpower/ruin the rest of what's going on, so I really like the "new" YAM (not just the "bong bongs", but the new more prominent, and far more detailed/textured bass guitar sound (seems like a "real" bass, not a synth bass?)).

I posted my thoughts on the album here, following Mark Winstanley's excellent review/summary:

Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

It never was my favorite album (Meddle through to The final Cut are (WYWH being the best, closely followed by DSOTM)), but I always really liked it, and now, more so.

Lots of good memories going to all the "post '87 Floyd" gigs!! :)

Cheers,

Matt :)

Billy_Sunday and fishcane like this.
  4. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

Nice review, and I agree. The mix in surround sound is fantastic. The one song that still has too much '80s in it for me - One Slip - is even tolerable because the surround mix is so good. Even the mess they made of On the Turning Away sounds incredible in surround. I still prefer the old version of that song for the 2 channel mix.

That's a real bass guitar. Tony Levin is doing the 'funk fingers' part, as he calls it, but that actually sounds like a Gilmour bass line on the rest of the song. I think the only song in the remix that still has synth bass (and a drum machine) is Sorrow.

5. Mr.eMO

Mr.eMO Forum Resident

Roger Waters specifically took credit for the "\ation" naming of each of the sub-sets (Have to find the quote). That, and demanding the removal of Andy Jackson's 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC (reasonable speculation), were his big contributions to TEY set.

6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

And I guess by that logic, my mortgage is "free" too! Yippee! I pay the bills every month and lo and behold, the next month there's money in the bank again!

Nevermind that I actually had to work full-time to make it happen, the money just appears in my bank account, and it's like everything is free! Yippee!

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

That’s the beauty of it! The “money is back in your account” in time for the next box!

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's right! For example, I checked my account before I started the Christmas spendage around a month back. But come early January I got my wages and the next thing I know, I had more money than before I started spending over Christmas! I made money on Christmas!

Yes, miracles happen every day. You just gotta know where to look. :D

moodyxadi, obi, Billy_Sunday and 2 others like this.
  9. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

10. Billy_Sunday

I bought a USB-BD drive ($40 well spent!) specifically so I could extract the hi-res Meddle from the TEY set.

Glad I did. I can actually watch BluRays now...

11. Billy_Sunday

Exactly. This is my experience as well. I used to "make" myself to listen to AMLOR every once in a while just to see if my opinion would change.

Maybe this time I'll finally love it...?

Well, that never happened. Until now! The 2019 AMLOR is actually quite a pleasant listen. It is warm and inviting, rather than cold and sterile. Yay!

12. Billy_Sunday

Great reply!

fishcane likes this.
  13. billyhorton

billyhorton Forum Resident

Watching the Knebworth bluray now. I'm amazed with the video quality. Far better than I thought. There are some nice close-ups of David guitar during Sorrow that almost look like hd. Considering the Venice broadcast was only a year before, the difference in quality is enormous.

I have always thought that the Venice show was poorly lit and that was the main problem when shooting it. Maybe the video-cameras quality got something to do with it. I know that RAI (italian public TV) was involved in Venice but don't know if BBC was involved in Knebworth.

Anyway truly amazed and happy with the Knebworth bluray. And Sam Brown steppin' in replacing Rachel Fury, keeping the level high

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The lighting set up wasn't changed so I'm assuming it was the cameras that made the difference. Both were shot for broadcast TV.

drum_cas and chav like this.
  15. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Fish, I’m socking away a bit every week for the next Macca super box in July. It’s only money, in one day, gone the next.

fishcane likes this.
  16. Billy_Sunday

Right, but the venues themselves are quite different. One is an actual concert stage with requisite lighting rigs and the whole nine yards.

The other is a 100's of years old open air plaza that every once in a while gets converted to a concert venue. While the Floyd certainly had the best lighting rigs money could buy, the logistical challenges involved in setting up for a major concert - for PPV no less - in San Marcos Square may have made it difficult to get optimal placement such that all was well-lit for the TV cameras.

I am not saying your assumption is wrong - nor am I asserting that my hypothesis is correct. Just throwin' some spaghetti at the wall, seeing what sticks.

chav and rontoon like this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Good observation. Obviously there were many factors involved.

drum_cas, Billy_Sunday and chav like this.
  18. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Lets not forget that Venice was on a barge a way away from the land, and no show like that had ever happened before. There were no test shows to try out lighting levels or place cameras correctly.

19. Billy_Sunday

Ah so! Interesting. I thought the concert was in the square itself. (I have not seen the video)

On a barge? Wow.

As an aside, I was at the 2 Oakland shows in April '88 ; as I revisit this period, it seems like as good of a time as any to pull out the "tapes" and hear what went down those nights.

I was also at the "One Slip" show in 1994! Kinda cool to have caught that one-off performance. Also interesting that it was in the same place in 1977 that they did another one-off: Careful With That Axe!

20. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This is a shot of the barge from the air during the day of the show.

21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

And here's a shot from land as the sunset.
    [​IMG]

22. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Where can you get a Blu-ray drive for $40?

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Of course it was on a barge, thought everyone knew that who saw the show.

If the lighting was the same as other shows and the proximity of the cameras to the stage were the same then should the location of the stage really be that much of factor? Yes, there were challenges photographing Venice but that had nothing to do with the quality of the image. I think that main factors were the tape format it was captured on and the cameras.

24. Billy_Sunday

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  25. Billy_Sunday

Right. Thing is, I've not seen it!

Was it a ticketed event? Or basically a free-for-all? Certainly anyone with a boat could just float on up to the thing, and it looks like many did!

rontoon likes this.