ebay vs PayPal buyer/seller policies

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Veech, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

We know that selling in the classifieds here requires using PayPal which is fine. My question is, are PayPal's policies exactly the same as ebay's?

Ebay is known to be very buyer friendly/seller unfriendly when it comes to settling disputes. Does PayPal follow the same model?

2. glide

glide Forum Resident

In my experience, it’s the same model.

Veech likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You can read the buyer and seller protection policies that you agreed to when you signed up to use Paypal on their site.

tmtomh and Veech like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Buyer protection under Paypal is better than eBay. eBay gives you a 30 day window. Paypal gives buyers a 6 month window. But they both favour buyers in disputes. You can mitigate somewhat if you follow Paypal rules e.g. only send with online tracking. But there are some scams which are hard to avoid as Paypal rarely listens to any sort of argument outside of "what does the online tracking say".

Actually, you could have an email from the buyer that says "I am going to make a false claim on Paypal and say that you sent me a scratched up record, but you really didn't. The one you sent is mint as described but I am going to keep it and then send you my old scratched up one and once you get it paypal will refund me the money. So I get to keep the record and the money. To bad loser" and then tell Paypal you want to show them that email (sent outside the Paypal system) as proof that the buyer is ripping you off Paypal is most likely going to say "We can't accept it as it could be faked"

5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. "Only send with online tracking" means only send with a service like UPS or USPS that offers online tracking of delivery of packages?

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah pretty much.

7. They're both nothing but aggravation to work with or get help from as a buyer.

8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I had a guy get a free item by telling eBay he didn't get his package cause it was delivered to his door and stolen because he said I didn't put "do not leave on doorstep". eBay sided with him. A year ago I made good getting even......he was punished hard. He never knew what hit him, no pun intended.

9. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Here are some PayPal changes coming July 31st:

Policy Updates

Amongst them:

“We are requiring that buyers attempt to resolve their issues directly with sellers prior to filing a claim with us in order to be eligible for reimbursement under our Purchase Protection Program”

10. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I feel mixed about the protection from eBay and PayPal as a buyer. I purchased something from eBay and supposedly it was delivered. I complained that I never got my item to not only the seller who said he sent it and eBay. eBay credited me and I thought nothing of it. About three months later another small amount item was supposed to be delivered but I never received it. The post office supposedly scanned the item to confirm it was delivered. if it was put on my doorstep maybe it was stolen off of my doorstep but I never received it.

I again complain to eBay and they said because it was reported delivered there's nothing that they could do. PayPal told me the same thing. So I realized there really is no buyer protection. And this was a small item worth $25. I told them I bought large items worth many hundreds of dollars. Why wouldn't I claim one of those? They didn't seem to care.

So unless it's something obvious that the seller is responsible you're pretty much out of the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.